It's time for Jerry's son to open up the books and spend money in fa!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was in Vegas this past weekend for the Super Bowl. Met two guys at the craps table. They were there with Jerry’s attorney. They’re semi connected to the team. Long long story short - they told me Jerry runs the team 1000%. Stephen doesn’t make the cheap decisions around here in FA that many of us believe, myself included. Just saying this bc of the thread title. They both said the team will be in far better hands when Stephen takes over after Jerry passes. Which I argued vehemently against but they were steadfast about it.
For some unknown reason, I believe what the two guys said about Jones running the team--as opposed to the running counter-argument he is just a figurehead within his own organization.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Was in Vegas this past weekend for the Super Bowl. Met two guys at the craps table. They were there with Jerry’s attorney. They’re semi connected to the team. Long long story short - they told me Jerry runs the team 1000%. Stephen doesn’t make the cheap decisions around here in FA that many of us believe, myself included. Just saying this bc of the thread title. They both said the team will be in far better hands when Stephen takes over after Jerry passes. Which I argued vehemently against but they were steadfast about it.
I wish they were right.

Part of my side hustle is dealing with agents. Independently they have told me Stephen is unreasonable, arrogant, and borderline incompetent. One of them used to deal with Dallas a lot and still represents players on the roster. He's said that Dallas is one of his last calls now and he braces himself for disappointment when he does call.

There's no light at the end of the tunnel here, just a different level of hell.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
Stephen will not loosen the purse strings for FAs. We only overpay for homegrown "talent".

Aven8

Reaction score
Just heard Moore on The Ticket and he said expect them to sign defensive players in most likely the late 1st tier and 2nd tier. He said the defense doesn’t need an overhaul as they led the league in TO’s over the past 3 years. He expects a couple of tackles and LB’s.

He then said who would get the shot in the 1st round Mike or Zimm? He said Mike, and Zimm can have the 2nd round.

He also said expect them to draft a RB early and they are tired of paying big money for RB’s.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Stephen Jones fully believes every draft is an opportunity to add seven solid starting players cheaply, who are ready to play immediately.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I wish they were right.

Part of my side hustle is dealing with agents. Independently they have told me Stephen is unreasonable, arrogant, and borderline incompetent. One of them used to deal with Dallas a lot and still represents players on the roster. He's said that Dallas is one of his last calls now and he braces himself for disappointment when he does call.

There's no light at the end of the tunnel here, just a different level of hell.
I believe every bit of that. Awful.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Stephen Jones fully believes every draft is an opportunity to add seven solid starting players cheaply, who are ready to play immediately.
He's obsessed with cheap labor. He also loves the smell of his own farts. Markquise Bell is the new Jeff Heath; undrafted guy who plays well and rewards the Cowboys for their very narrow approach to roster building.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Jerry claims that the team is "All In" this season, that they will be making moves for the now and less about the future. They cannot go into another season with just another draft class and aspect better results. They have real weakness within this roster that have to be upgraded. Stephen's strategy of draft/develop, sign low level stop gap veterans isn't working. Time to open up the books as they can easily create 20-30 million to spend on the open market. Some areas to address in fa:

-Defensive Tackle/Middle Linebacker/Running Back

In the draft you could double up at all these positions and still address OL.
I doubt we end up with even close to that unless we don’t extend our own guys

Also, you have to realize that in order to spend any FA money we have to extend Dak.

Thats just the reality

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If you think these robber barons are going to spend wild on FAs you're dreaming.
They overspend on existing players who sell jerseys, a la Dak and Zeke. They'll probably do the same with Parsons since he's #1 in jersey sales.
Beyond that look for more Kmart blue light specials..
Probably right, but how many more years will Jerry willing to wait?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
20 million over the cap right now so why would you extend Dak, how many failures with him under Center do you have to watch before it's clear he's just not good enough to lead this team to a SUperbowl.....
They are extended Dak if we like it or not. They don't want to become Washington or the Giants still looking for their QB.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Jerry claims that the team is "All In" this season, that they will be making moves for the now and less about the future. They cannot go into another season with just another draft class and aspect better results. They have real weakness within this roster that have to be upgraded. Stephen's strategy of draft/develop, sign low level stop gap veterans isn't working. Time to open up the books as they can easily create 20-30 million to spend on the open market. Some areas to address in fa:

-Defensive Tackle/Middle Linebacker/Running Back

In the draft you could double up at all these positions and still address OL.
Money makes us all happy, but how much happiness does a man need? You can spend whatever you want and you will NEVER die poor. So spend the money.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
For those who don't believe they cannot create cap space, listen to the latest love of the star podcast with Bobby Belt/Broaddus. They explain in depth how cap money can be created with this current roster.