I've been waiting since Sept 1979 - Wonder Woman

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is Wonder Woman supposed to be as powerful as Superman?
No. Her Olympian strength is stronger than Hercules but it does not come close to equalling Kryptonian strength. That's not a slight against her character. She's fiercely super-strong. I bet she could trade blows with The Hulk for a short time before his gamma-augmented anger would surpass her strength levels.

I'm waiting to see if DC/Warner Bros. de-powers her somewhat more from her levels in the books. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice has already (seemingly) shown her absence of flight when she was seen attempting to fly out of Metropolis on a commercial jet. That ticked me off a bit and the teasers showing her scale a high wall (cliff face maybe..?) hasn't improved my mood. Hopefully, her other Olympian powers will stay true onscreen.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
This new WW has already been on the big screen so I don't know why 2 June is the end of any countdown.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks. I was on another message board that have a lot of Europeans on it and many of them were complaining about the American propaganda (again) and she was fighting the Germans and what's the point of it all if she can't be beaten. It's like a female Superman. I have no idea at all. I'm old enough where I was a teenager in the 70's Wonder Woman and even though I rarely watched it she didn't seem invincible in the TV series from what little I do remember.
Lol. German's should acknowledge their history. Starting two World Wars isn't something that can ever be eliminated from exploitation.

Lynda Carter was great for television but the character she played was a wimp compared to the comic book version even in the 1970's. Television didn't do WW or The Hulk proper justice illustrating just how powerful those characters were but the era was focused on bionics-type displays of physical superiority. I think most of the wimpy special effects was simply a reflection of the technology of that era. Some of it was due to directors and producers not totally understanding the characters and glossing them over too much. Thankfully, Carter and Bill Bixby were very good actors for their respective roles, which are the true hallmarks of their television series.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I've been Leroy Jethro Gibbs smacked behind the head by Captain Obvious. My bad.
After the disappointing box office performance of superheroine movies like Catwoman (2004) and Elektra (2005), ladies in superhero suits have been saddled with the unfortunate assumption of box-office poison until proven otherwise. I'm hoping maybe this new WW movie can change the tide for superheroine title characters on the big screen.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After the disappointing box office performance of superheroine movies like Catwoman (2004) and Elektra (2005), ladies in superhero suits have been saddled with the unfortunate assumption of box-office poison until proven otherwise. I'm hoping maybe this new WW movie can change the tide for superheroine title characters on the big screen.
Both of those examples were poor attempts at film-making, which explains poor box office for both. I doubt any realistic studio executives are basing their future expectations on such professionally low crafted movies. In my opinion, they have been simply timid towards backing strong female characters with solid production, directing, writing, etc., standards--preferring to throw the entire bank at male-dominated lead role movies in this genre that they deem safer investments. Then again, the $100 million thrown at Catwoman isn't anything to sneeze at but even Halle Berry shouldn't be expected to overcome a poor script and plot.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Both of those examples were poor attempts at film-making, which explains poor box office for both. I doubt any realistic studio executives are basing their future expectations on such professionally low crafted movies. In my opinion, they have been simply timid towards backing strong female characters with solid production, directing, writing, etc., standards--preferring to throw the entire bank at male-dominated lead role movies in this genre that they deem safer investments. Then again, the $100 million thrown at Catwoman isn't anything to sneeze at but even Halle Berry shouldn't be expected to overcome a poor script and plot.
Still waiting for the the first Black Widow movie.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol. German's should acknowledge their history. Starting two World Wars isn't something that can ever be eliminated from exploitation.

Lynda Carter was great for television but the character she played was a wimp compared to the comic book version even in the 1970's. Television didn't do WW or The Hulk proper justice illustrating just how powerful those characters were but the era was focused on bionics-type displays of physical superiority. I think most of the wimpy special effects was simply a reflection of the technology of that era. Some of it was due to directors and producers not totally understanding the characters and glossing them over too much. Thankfully, Carter and Bill Bixby were very good actors for their respective roles, which are the true hallmarks of their television series.
Thanks Dallas. I was wondering when you were going to pop in and explain everything to me because from your posts it's obvious you know a little something about Wonder Woman. I appreciate it. :)

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I appreciate those of you getting all nostalgic about Wonder Woman in the comic books in 1972. That just means you were 30 years late to the WW party. Introduced in 1942, the Wonder Woman comics were a pioneer in challenging gender roles in society.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Still waiting for the the first Black Widow movie.

Just go watch all the Bruce Lee movies. He does all she does, with more charisma, more intensity, and more coolness.

https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6YQPCsL_mU-xudTA5tt7WRjKN0rVh0HUeGRQ7fUozKKVxGxVpuQ

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Just go watch all the Bruce Lee movies. He does all she does, with more charisma, more intensity, and more coolness.

https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6YQPCsL_mU-xudTA5tt7WRjKN0rVh0HUeGRQ7fUozKKVxGxVpuQ
...and a male genitalia, so no thank you. But if that's what you like then go for it.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
No. Her Olympian strength is stronger than Hercules but it does not come close to equalling Kryptonian strength. That's not a slight against her character. She's fiercely super-strong. I bet she could trade blows with The Hulk for a short time before his gamma-augmented anger would surpass her strength levels.

I'm waiting to see if DC/Warner Bros. de-powers her somewhat more from her levels in the books. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice has already (seemingly) shown her absence of flight when she was seen attempting to fly out of Metropolis on a commercial jet. That ticked me off a bit and the teasers showing her scale a high wall (cliff face maybe..?) hasn't improved my mood. Hopefully, her other Olympian powers will stay true onscreen.

I think there is a way around it. She was just being "civilian"-like by using the plane.
I actually enjoyed her de-planing and going to save the day.

This new WW has already been on the big screen so I don't know why 2 June is the end of any countdown.

Dude.
Dude...
Duuuuuude....

You are not understanding.

Let me clear it up for you.

Mariah Carey was backup singer to Brenda K Starr.

Do you think THAT was "HER" first big time appearance?

As the lawyer that I am not. I rest my case!

Got our t shirts.
Got the baby a Wonder Woman outfit and bathing suit.
Preordered tickets.

We are locked and loaded.