I've been waiting since Sept 1979 - Wonder Woman

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Time for a mini-rant after reading a Academy member's comments following her screening of Wonder Woman:

"This movie is so hyped and the reviews are so good, of course members are going to turn out," wrote a female member of the producers branch, acknowledging that there was "not a seat empty." She continued, "I don't like these movies — I don't even go to them, usually, because I'm bored by them. Where are the comedies? I want to be entertained and laugh and not be bombarded by stupid action sequences. Even though the action sequences are a little different than usual, they're not original — there's crashing and fighting and flying and killing. Doesn't anybody remember Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon? This felt the same. Also, I was a big fan of Boardwalk Empire and Jack Huston, who wore the half-mask on the show, and that's what the villain wears here, so that's not original either! Everyone's saying the film is fresh, but I think they're being blinded by the female-empowerment thing — it's really not, and that's irritating. I thought the origin story was pretty lame and I really thought, 'Oh, we're in trouble' — and then we get to her saving his life, and that's when it picks up. As soon as they wear their city clothes, it's better, to me — they're a handsome couple and that was my favorite thing. I give it a B+." She added, in reference to the Oscars, "If I were a betting woman, I wouldn't bet on it. We have yet to see all the movies in the fall, and by that time people will not remember this so much. So I would be surprised."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ra...eaks-best-picture-contention-analysis-1010042

This mentality is my pet peeve with some movie award voters and some paid movie critics in general. It's perfectly reasonable that some people are more entertained by certain genres than others. What's not reasonable is when personal preference for certain genres slants opinion about the quality of movies that aren't necessarily that someone's cup of tea.

A good movie is a good movie. A bad movie is a bad movie. A so-so movie is only so-so. It shouldn't matter what type a movie may be but movies aren't always judged fairly. This Academy member thought the action sequences in Wonder Woman were stupid. That's not a singular sentiment but it's not accurate in my opinion. This character's name is WONDER Woman. What she does in the movie is WONDEROUS. I would like to ask this person what action sequences in the film involving the character did not appear WONDEROUS to her.

Then she compounded the nonsense with the slam on Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. What the <expletive>?

She is right about films down the road, hitting theaters around New Year's or even later, are the ones that land award nominations usually. What grinds my gears is that her opinion and some of her fellow members' opinions may be pre-colored by personal indifference to 'stupid action sequence movies', etc. How can films have a legitimate shot at award accolades if the people who vote for the awards don't like what they see before they even see the movies? Idiotic.

/rant

Sounds like a perfect person for the "pay no mind" list!

cml750

Reaction score
Snyder is listed as one of the writers of the story. He is also one of the producers of the film.
Given Snyder's role in the whole thing to this point he had to be a "part" of WW. That much is quite obvious. What is even more obvious is that Man of Steel was a turd floater that ticked off a lot of people due to being complete garbage and Batman v. Superman, while only slightly better, ticked off the few people who actually liked Man of Steel. No even if he had to be listed in the credits, I do not think Snyder had a whole lot to do with this great movie.

Now I hold out a lot more hope for Justice League since Joss Whedon had to take over for Snyder. Whedon has proven he can make a great superhero movie. I hope Whedon takes over for Snyder permanently.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Given Snyder's role in the whole thing to this point he had to be a "part" of WW. That much is quite obvious. What is even more obvious is that Man of Steel was a turd floater that ticked off a lot of people due to being complete garbage and Batman v. Superman, while only slightly better, ticked off the few people who actually liked Man of Steel. No even if he had to be listed in the credits, I do not think Snyder had a whole lot to do with this great movie.

Now I hold out a lot more hope for Justice League since Joss Whedon had to take over for Snyder. Whedon has proven he can make a great superhero movie. I hope Whedon takes over for Snyder permanently.

And I'm just enjoying these movies simply because they can bring childhood comic/cartoon characters to a real deal epic cinematic viewing.

:)

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
I enjoyed it thoroughly. Would give it a 9/10. Excellent movie, nothing major that I can complain about. Chris Pine and Gal Gadot worked together perfectly.

Only thing I can slightly complain about is it had a captain america feel to it during the war scenes. Bad German guy, guy on a motor cycle, team of misfits. I know it's a different war, but it just seemed eerily similar.

But again, I definitely enjoyed this movie, thought it was well done.

cml750

Reaction score
And I'm just enjoying these movies simply because they can bring childhood comic/cartoon characters to a real deal epic cinematic viewing.

:)
When done properly that is why we all enjoy them. It is just when they screw up so bad like Man of Steel, it is really hard. Man of Steel was so bad that at the end of of the movie, there were people in the theater I was at literally standing and booing. There were probably 8 - 10 people booing. I have never seen anything like that but I felt the same way about the movie. I did not start the booing but was participating. It is not like I have super high standards. I have liked every superhero movie to date including ones like Green Lantern. With Snyder and MoS it was like he had never read a Superman comic as a kid.

Now back to WW. This movie was done superbly. It was a great movie and I enjoyed the heck out of it.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
When done properly that is why we all enjoy them. It is just when they screw up so bad like Man of Steel, it is really hard. Man of Steel was so bad that at the end of of the movie, there were people in the theater I was at literally standing and booing. There were probably 8 - 10 people booing. I have never seen anything like that but I felt the same way about the movie. I did not start the booing but was participating. It is not like I have super high standards. I have liked every superhero movie to date including ones like Green Lantern. With Snyder and MoS it was like he had never read a Superman comic as a kid.

Now back to WW. This movie was done superbly. It was a great movie and I enjoyed the heck out of it.

Understood :)

Green Lantern wasn't perfect but it was enjoyable.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
I will give it a 7/10.

Was good in some respects with the attack and shield use.

Fighting the Devil - a bit of a reach.

Them

Reaction score
...you've got your Wonder Woman!...I've got mine...:grin:
4mTvKVI.jpg

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Went to see it again.

This movie is, as far as comic book movies goes... is arguably a 10!

The nuances, subtle references to Lynda Carter version.
The maturation AND the learning "on the job" .... pain and siffering through her eyes... it's a wonder!

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
What are the nuances and subtle references that you saw during the movie?

You know... I was going to make a list but I wanted to watch it and focus so I didn't.

Off hand.

Subtleties

- the glasses nod - then getting rid of them
- there is a smile shot that is Lynda Carter-Esque

Going to take my parents to see it.

I'll make notes then.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More of my friends and co-workers are seeing the movie for the first time but I find it funny how often a few of them mentioned they wished Lynda Carter had a supporting role or made a cameo. Someone suggested Carter could have played Hippolyta. That made me consider which actress would have been a better choice for the role: Carter or Connie Nielsen.

For me, I notice a difference in how well actors and actresses can transition quality performance from the small screen to the big screen. Some can do it well. Others? Not so much. Will Smith and Blake Lively are good examples of television actors who were as good as or better on the big screen than they were on the small screen initially. David Caruso and Lucy Lawless are examples of actors who don't transition quite as well.

Nielsen isn't a household name but she has done quality work during her career. She's a movie actress in every sense. Carter was a phenomenal television actress in the 1970's. Carter as Hippolyta would have made me feel nostalgic about what she has done in the past. Nielsen didn't have that connection and gave a good performance as a immortal warrior turned mother of a demigod and superhero. Nielsen is a better asset to the movie and its popularity than Carter could have been in my opinion.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
More of my friends and co-workers are seeing the movie for the first time but I find it funny how often a few of them mentioned they wished Lynda Carter had a supporting role or made a cameo. Someone suggested Carter could have played Hippolyta. That made me consider which actress would have been a better choice for the role: Carter or Connie Nielsen.

For me, I notice a difference in how well actors and actresses can transition quality performance from the small screen to the big screen. Some can do it well. Others? Not so much. Will Smith and Blake Lively are good examples of television actors who were as good as or better on the big screen than they were on the small screen initially. David Caruso and Lucy Lawless are examples of actors who don't transition quite as well.

Nielsen isn't a household name but she has done quality work during her career. She's a movie actress in every sense. Carter was a phenomenal television actress in the 1970's. Carter as Hippolyta would have made me feel nostalgic about what she has done in the past. Nielsen didn't have that connection and gave a good performance as a immortal warrior turned mother of a demigod and superhero. Nielsen is a better asset to the movie and its popularity than Carter could have been in my opinion.

I get why they stayed away from Carter cameo. Especially as Hippolyta. I agree with it now. Though not at first.

In a future WW movie I would be ok with Carter in some small cameo of some sort. Not sure what part I would give her though. Maybe an elder on the island or maybe an enemy sub character.... or simply a goofy Stan Lee type of cameo lol... not!

You are wrong about Caruso though... "he's a war hero"

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Over half blilion so far

$325m domestic
$335m foreign

How ya like me now?

wonder-woman-header5.jpg
'Transformers 5' Opens with Franchise Low as 'Wonder Woman' Surpasses 'Batman v Superman' Domestically

by Brad Brevet
June 25, 2017

<excerpt>

As for WB's Wonder Woman, it continues to live up to its protagonist's name, dropping only 39% in its fourth weekend in release. The film is now just shy of $320 million domestically and is now out-pacing all three of the previous DC Extended Universe releases as it now passes Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, which had brought in $311.3 million after the same number of days in release. To that point, Wonder Woman has already outgrossed the entire domestic run for Man of Steel, is ~$7 million away from outgrossing the domestic run for Suicide Squad and will surpass Batman v Superman's $330.4 million run over the next few days, which will make it the third largest DC Comics adaptation domestically, behind only The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises.

Internationally, Wonder Woman brought in an estimated $20.5 million from 65 markets as the overseas cume currently stands at $334.5 million. The film is still behind the three previous DC releases internationally, but it is just $42.5 million behind Man of Steel. This weekend it released in Spain where it brought in an estimated $2.2 million and it still has yet to be released in Japan, where it will premiere on August 25. Overall, Wonder Woman has now topped $635 million worldwide as it currently stands as the sixth largest DC Comics adaptation of all-time worldwide.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4301&p=.htm

DC Comics Extended Universe

Man Of Steel
Worldwide Gross: $668,045,518
Release Run: 98 days / 14 weeks

Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice
Worldwide Gross: $873,260,194
Release Run: 84 days / 12 weeks

Suicide Squad
Worldwide Gross: $745,600,054

Wonder Woman
Worldwide Gross: $660,883,830
Release Run: 26 days / 4 weeks

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=basic&id=dcuni.htm

Superman and Batman were released in 1978 and 1989 respectively. To use one of Stitch's terms of endearment, it's a freaking shame that Hollywood stupidheads waited 39 or even 28 years before introducing the third member of DC's greatest superhero trio in her own movie franchise. Thankfully that idiocy has been put to rest finally. All hail Gal Gadot. She's a wonder, WONDER WOMAN!

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
'Transformers 5' Opens with Franchise Low as 'Wonder Woman' Surpasses 'Batman v Superman' Domestically

by Brad Brevet
June 25, 2017

<excerpt>

As for WB's Wonder Woman, it continues to live up to its protagonist's name, dropping only 39% in its fourth weekend in release. The film is now just shy of $320 million domestically and is now out-pacing all three of the previous DC Extended Universe releases as it now passes Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, which had brought in $311.3 million after the same number of days in release. To that point, Wonder Woman has already outgrossed the entire domestic run for Man of Steel, is ~$7 million away from outgrossing the domestic run for Suicide Squad and will surpass Batman v Superman's $330.4 million run over the next few days, which will make it the third largest DC Comics adaptation domestically, behind only The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises.

Internationally, Wonder Woman brought in an estimated $20.5 million from 65 markets as the overseas cume currently stands at $334.5 million. The film is still behind the three previous DC releases internationally, but it is just $42.5 million behind Man of Steel. This weekend it released in Spain where it brought in an estimated $2.2 million and it still has yet to be released in Japan, where it will premiere on August 25. Overall, Wonder Woman has now topped $635 million worldwide as it currently stands as the sixth largest DC Comics adaptation of all-time worldwide.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4301&p=.htm

DC Comics Extended Universe

Man Of Steel
Worldwide Gross: $668,045,518

Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice
Worldwide Gross: $873,260,194
Release Run: 84 days / 12 weeks

Suicide Squad
Worldwide Gross: $745,600,054

Wonder Woman
Worldwide Gross: $660,883,830
Release Run: 26 days / 4 weeks

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=basic&id=dcuni.htm

Superman and Batman were released in 1978 and 1989 respectively. To use one of Stitch's terms of endearment, it's a freaking shame that Hollywood stupidheads waited 39 or even 28 years before introducing the third member of DC's greatest superhero trio in her own movie franchise. Thankfully that idiocy has been put to rest finally. All hail Gal Gadot. She's a wonder, WONDER WOMAN!

Suicide Squad. Dam that's "criminal"

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought for sure you would catch the double meaning.

1. They were criminals.
2. Grossing that much for that movie was criminal.that was a B-movie.
:laugh:It's always interesting the differences in opinion concerning movies, television shows, etc. various people have with personal interpretations of entertainment--or, in this particular case, $745 million plus dollars worth of difference. :p