I've got to address the Garrett hate...

myslamsareolder

Reaction score
I want Garrett back for another contract. 2-3 yrs. If he can't succeed after then it's time to move on.

I think he should get another contract too, but don't think he should get the whole contract. I think with what he's done he deserves 5 years. Give him a 3 year extension but if he doesn't win in the playoffs in 2015 then let him go. I'm not against firing coaches, but there is a difference in firing, say Shanny, with 6-10, 5-11, 10-6, and 3-1 records and firing after three 8-8 seasons. He deserves 5 years imo.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It's easy to criticize the coach, especially when he's been operating despite the compromising efforts of a GM who has so long been sorely unqualified to serve in that capacity. While it's true JG was thrust into the HC position before he was ready to assume that position, he's been invaluable in improving the roster. He also is making worthwhile strides to change the culture of a roster that had long been saturated with pitifully spoiled players clinging to entitled attitudes. I think it'd be no less than tragic to lose that in 2015.

I wish that would lead to some type of success for him but it hasn't.

We get to game day and he gives us no advantages.

The guy still thinks it's the 90s and the way to win is to go and out athlete every single opponent.

If our schemes were a little less basic it would go a long ways instead of just relying on Romo for everything.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
I think he should get another contract too, but don't think he should get the whole contract. I think with what he's done he deserves 5 years. Give him a 3 year extension but if he doesn't win in the playoffs in 2015 then let him go. I'm not against firing coaches, but there is a difference in firing, say Shanny, with 6-10, 5-11, 10-6, and 3-1 records and firing after three 8-8 seasons. He deserves 5 years imo.

Jason is that you?

fifaguy

Reaction score
I honestly haven't seen as much Garrett hate as of late..

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Garrett COULD be a good coach if he were to get fired, or quit, and go learn under an experienced coach as a position coach for a couple of years, then move to a coordinating position, and back in to coaching. Other than that, he's a joke.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Garrett COULD be a good coach if he were to get fired, or quit, and go learn under an experienced coach as a position coach for a couple of years, then move to a coordinating position, and back in to coaching. Other than that, he's a joke.

JG has played and coached under some pretty good coaches over the years already...it should not be a career long learning process

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Over the last three years there has been some heartbreaking losses, he's shown little in the way of improvement and if you had to list what he excels at it would be a struggle. With Romo aging it seems like last year would have been a good time to get a new coach, but here we are.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
As a Laker fan, and going thru 2 of the worst coaches ever in Mike Brown and then Mike D'Antoni. Garrett is no where with those 2. I don't even stress about him being the Cowboys coach. I've seen futility.

sbark

Reaction score
A lot of it is simple disagreement on procedure, policies and actions...........why is that even deemed hate.......If he was churning out more that .500 seasons and reaching playoffs the opinions would change on their own. I'm sure there are even still critics of Pete Carroll, but a heck of a lot less than 4 yrs ago....

coult44

Reaction score

According to the boss, Jason has been training for 3 years. If someone is characterized by the owner as a guy in training, doesn't that tell you all you need to know? I mean how good are you, if you're still training to coach? Are there any other guys in the NFL who's GM's and owners would make that same statement about their HC?

RS12

Reaction score
A lot of it is simple disagreement on procedure, policies and actions...........why is that even deemed hate.......If he was churning out more that .500 seasons and reaching playoffs the opinions would change on their own. I'm sure there are even still critics of Pete Carroll, but a heck of a lot less than 4 yrs ago....

To some, hate on this board means not waving pom poms for anything silver and blue.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It was mistake to hire a completely inexperienced Head Coach and also allow him to have duel responsibilities of OC as well.
I think both jobs were diluted by a head coach learning on the job...often with coaches he didn't fully select .

I love Garrett's overall organizational philosophy, but the tea has suffered through his growing pains.

He's now had time to revamp the roster and coaching staff.

Time to turn the corner.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Found the thread about the incident I'm talking about .... http://cowboyszone.com/threads/anyone-notice-garre-err-romos-game-management-at-the-end.278685/

Garret is utterly clueless when it comes to game management.

https://vine.co/v/hE6nX3d3hw6
https://vine.co/v/hE6nYhOBbMl

Romo covers up just how bad Garret is.

Romo covers up how bad a lot of things in this organization are. Yet, there's a merry band of rocket scientists around here who can't wait to get rid of the guy. You can't cure stupid, I guess

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
1992, Candlestick Park, San Francisco, Ca.
4th quarter
Score - Dallas 23 - 49ers 20

The 9ers just scored and the momentum changed. Dallas had the ball deep in their territory. Norv called down to Jimmy and asked him if he wanted to try and milk the clock or pass.

Jimmy said:

I want to score!

Garrett has had a number of years here before he even assumed the head coaching job. I have seen him try and milk the clock instead of using his offense and Romo to keep attacking.

My belief is Jones likes him because he won't try and take credit. He is a puppet. I see not much in the way of innovation, leadership, or setting a standard through action and not lip service.

Jimmy had guts. Jimmy also in the first several years made mistakes with clock management. But Jimmy had guts to keep playing attack football.

If Dallas had lost that game above, does anyone really believe they would not have been right back there, like they were, and winning the next one?

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Romo covers up how bad a lot of things in this organization are. Yet, there's a merry band of rocket scientists around here who can't wait to get rid of the guy. You can't cure stupid, I guess

Please list those rocket scientists. I think this is where I need a source.