I've got to address the Garrett hate...

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
To some, hate on this board means not waving pom poms for anything silver and blue.

It doesn't have anything to do with "hate"..just because some say there may be a better option doesn't automatically equate to hate for someone.....with JG, it could be that he tends to overthink sometimes which is not good in a sport that doesn't require Ivy league personnel....he may simply be better suited in a FO rather than on the field

RS12

Reaction score
It doesn't have anything to do with "hate"..just because some say there may be a better option doesn't automatically equate to hate for someone.....with JG, it could be that he tends to overthink sometimes which is not good in a sport that doesn't require Ivy league personnel....he may simply be better suited in a FO rather than on the field

I dont hate Garrett. I have just thought from the word go that the team would have been miles ahead with other head coaches. Simple enough. My point is that in the eyes of multitudes of posters if you criticize the team no matter what, you are a hater. Those would be the blind homers.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Please list those rocket scientists. I think this is where I need a source.

Some clues on who the rocket scientists are, they say things like:
-2 back surgeries he's done
-cant throw the deep ball anymore
-We'll never win anything with him
-He's overweight and outta shape
-It'll be good when he's gone so we can get a real QB
-He's a choke artist and cant win the elimination games, do or die games, win and you're in games, etc.

And many of these rocket surgeons love to praise E-Lie

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Taking over a 1-7 team and finishing 5-11 and then going three straight seasons at 8-8 is not impressive. What you fail to mention is the team he took over had the same players who went 13-3 the year before. So the team obviously had talent. The 1-7 season was just a train wreck and there was a lot of blame to go around, but he didn't do much better when he took over. This isn't the old days. Coaches can take over 2-14 teams and go 12-4 the next year (see KC Chiefs and Indy Colts).

There are things I do like about Garrett, but there are also things I don't like. But overall, what matters is results, and he hasn't shown results. I like how we haven't been afraid to cut ties with old players since Garrett got here. I also like our attention to improving the O-line. I like some of our draft picks (trading back for Frederick, Tyron, Martin, Lawrence) and I also don't like some of our draft picks (trading up for Claiborne, Escobar in the 2nd, drafting injured players). I don't like how he manages the clock and I don't like how he abandons the run when it works. I'm indifferent toward the RKG philosophy because I don't really understand what he's trying to do. He passes on guys who are character concerns but then gets guys like Melton coming off a bar fight and tries to keep Brent coming off manslaughter. Sometimes it seems like he's running the team, and sometimes it seems like Jerry's running the team. All in all, there is a lot I like and also a lot I don't like, and I think he needs to really put up or shut up this year.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Some clues on who the rocket scientists are, they say things like:
-2 back surgeries he's done
-cant throw the deep ball anymore
-We'll never win anything with him
-He's overweight and outta shape
-It'll be good when he's gone so we can get a real QB
-He's a choke artist and cant win the elimination games, do or die games, win and you're in games, etc.

And many of these rocket surgeons love to praise E-Lie

I understand your point. But your comments on Eli are the same as their comments on Romo. You can see that, right?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
1992, Candlestick Park, San Francisco, Ca.
4th quarter
Score - Dallas 23 - 49ers 20

The 9ers just scored and the momentum changed. Dallas had the ball deep in their territory. Norv called down to Jimmy and asked him if he wanted to try and milk the clock or pass.

Jimmy said:

I want to score!

Garrett has had a number of years here before he even assumed the head coaching job. I have seen him try and milk the clock instead of using his offense and Romo to keep attacking.

My belief is Jones likes him because he won't try and take credit. He is a puppet. I see not much in the way of innovation, leadership, or setting a standard through action and not lip service.

Jimmy had guts. Jimmy also in the first several years made mistakes with clock management. But Jimmy had guts to keep playing attack football.

If Dallas had lost that game above, does anyone really believe they would not have been right back there, like they were, and winning the next one?

And if you don't go conservative and you turn the ball over then you get nailed for that, too. Winning cures a host of problems.

myslamsareolder

Reaction score
That is not the only thing you confused in the OP

I spoke facts homie. Nothing to confuse. Nice sentenc
And if you don't go conservative and you turn the ball over then you get nailed for that, too. Winning cures a host of problems.
Yup. People forget Carroll went 7-9 and 7-9 his first two years and probably would have had a similar third season if not for the surprising rise of Wilson. Does anybody care? Nope because they win now. If the Cowboys go 10-6 this year and win a playoff game everyone will shut up. Everyone needs winning now or somebody needs to be fired. They act like we've had a decade of losing seasons with Garrett at the helm. We haven't had one.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
We use to be the toughest division, now we are the laughing division that people make fun of

And we still can't win it. Instead we lose a win and you're in game three straight years to each of our division rivals. I wonder what's in store for us this year?

Coy

Reaction score
Yeah, Garrett caused the D to give up a ton of points to a backup, scrub, QB. I love how everyone ignores his top offenses and then blames him for the defenses that he doesn't control. I'll let other people argue in this thread. I just wanted it our there 8-8 isn't bad when you're rebuilding. And we have been for 3 years. Make no mistake.

What about this year? Are we still rebuilding?

Coy

Reaction score
I want Garrett back for another contract. 2-3 yrs. If he can't succeed after then it's time to move on.

So you would take another 3 years of no playoffs before you'd fire him?
That would be some kind of record for a HC in the NFL, 6 or 7 years with no playoffs until a HC is fired, I don't think that has ever happened, at least not in the last 25 years, I may be wrong but I doubt that.

visionary

Reaction score
1992, Candlestick Park, San Francisco, Ca.
4th quarter
Score - Dallas 23 - 49ers 20

The 9ers just scored and the momentum changed. Dallas had the ball deep in their territory. Norv called down to Jimmy and asked him if he wanted to try and milk the clock or pass.

Jimmy said:

I want to score!

Garrett has had a number of years here before he even assumed the head coaching job. I have seen him try and milk the clock instead of using his offense and Romo to keep attacking.

My belief is Jones likes him because he won't try and take credit. He is a puppet. I see not much in the way of innovation, leadership, or setting a standard through action and not lip service.

Jimmy had guts. Jimmy also in the first several years made mistakes with clock management. But Jimmy had guts to keep playing attack football.

If Dallas had lost that game above, does anyone really believe they would not have been right back there, like they were, and winning the next one?

Anyone jones is "comfortable" with is not a good HC for this team

Jones liked Garrett because he is spineless jellyfish who knows his place in the chain of command . Garrett is happy because he is making a ton of money at a job he has no realistic chance of getting anywhere else. The best part is that thus comes with no requirement to produce results and no real consequences because the media and the fans just place all the blame on Jerry.

Jerry is the real HC of this team.

Win win for Garrett

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice OP. I agree with your position, obviously. Not a lot of serious debate to the contrary, anyway.

Fans are tired of losing, and that colors their perspective. If the defense gets fixed, it'll be amazing how happy everybody will be with how muck Jason Garrett learned in the process. If it does not, it underscores what a bad game manager he is. There's no middle ground.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
That would be some kind of record for a HC in the NFL, 6 or 7 years with no playoffs until a HC is fired, I don't think that has ever happened, at least not in the last 25 years, I may be wrong but I doubt that.

MarvinLewis.jpg

Somehow this guy has kept his job for years.

itsaboat

Reaction score

I'd like to see Garrett sign a 3-year contract. Dallas has allowed Garrett to churn the roster and build the kind of team he wants. Give him a chance to build the defense up and see what happens. After two seasons if there's no measurable progress, playoff appearances or whatever, then he doesn't get to the third year.

Coy

Reaction score
MarvinLewis.jpg

Somehow this guy has kept his job for years.

He won the AFC North with an 11-5 record in his 3rd year, unlike Garrett.
Like I said I bet there's never been a HC who kept his job for 6 or 7 years without getting to the playoffs (at least in the last 25 years or so), it amazes me that some around here would be willing to give hime that chance.

Coy

Reaction score
I'd like to see Garrett sign a 3-year contract. Dallas has allowed Garrett to churn the roster and build the kind of team he wants. Give him a chance to build the defense up and see what happens. After two seasons if there's no measurable progress, playoff appearances or whatever, then he doesn't get to the third year.
Thanks for your honest answer, I don't agree with you because I just think he is a bad HC.
Hope he proves us doubters wrong.