Jake Ferguson has the potential to be a Pro Bowl fixture

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I'm not at all ignoring that they do sometimes.

It's nonsensical to say they do every time, and it's nonsensical to suggest one play determines the level a player is at.
Ok Ferguson rarely does it. He's not good on contested catches. That play is an example of what is routine for an elite TE. I don't understand your insistence on this 100% rate lol. It's dumb.

I didn't do that. You're making stuff up.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Also, no I didn't lmao. Your insistence on making things up and acting like they are fact is crazy.
It's simply not accurate to suggest an elite TE can't have a ball knocked away.
Sure it is, on that play.

Shield the defender, attack the football. He basically just let the defender put himself into a 50/50 position.
Read it and weep. You claim I lied - here it is. You claimed an elite TE couldn't possibly have it knocked away.

And, btw, your only evidence was to say that there is a technique that can help prevent that, but it's completely illogical to claim it would happen every time, or that an elite TE always does absolutely the best possible thing he can as if he had the benefit of hindsight that you do sitting at your computer.

Again, you're defining a player by one play, and saying that he was fallible while an elite TE would be infallible on that play. Again, that's nonsensical

No rational person would try and define players based on one play, or based on the notion that certain players would always be infallible on that kind of play.

Last edited:

goshan

Reaction score
Sure it is, on that play.

Shield the defender, attack the football. He basically just let the defender put himself into a 50/50 position.
he does need to work on that. kittle would have made that catch prob. it's not just the one play. it's been something i've seen since he got here.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Read it and weep. You claim I lied - here it is. You claimed an elite TE couldn't possibly have it knocked away.

And, btw, your only evidence was to say that there is a technique that can help prevent that, but it's completely illogical to claim it would happen every time, or that an elite TE always does absolutely the best possible thing he can as if he had the benefit of hindsight that you do sitting at your computer.

Again, you're defining a player by one play, and saying that he was fallible while an elite TE would be infallible on that play. Again, that's nonsensical

No rational person would try and define players based on one play, or based on the notion that certain players would always be infallible on that kind of play.
Idk I'm not reading all of this.

If you're stuck on the word "impossible," it says more about you than me. It's a stupid point to make.

NeverBeGameOver

Reaction score
I like his toughness and don't give a dam attitude.
Yeah... He's bowling through, leaping over, and 'mean mugging' defenders. Can't remember the last time we had a guy like that on offense. Maybe Terrell when he'd get angry.

2nd week in a row he's done some sort of clean, snatch-grab catch too.

joseephuss

Reaction score
He gonna have a time getting nods over Hockenson and LaPorta in the future, and that's if Kittle slows down. But yes Ferg is a keeper.
I don't know if Ferguson will ever be a pro-bowler or all-pro during his career. It would be nice, but not necessary in order to help Dallas win games. He just has to be a reliable receiver and blocker to be a part of the team. I hope he continues to develop.

Kittle has already shown signs of slowing down. He is 30 and has only been first team all-pro once during his career several seasons ago.

Hockenson hasn't shown he is all-pro material. He is consistent and gets targeted quite a bit. Solid guy, but not dynamic. Fans here often complained about Witten's lack of burst and running ability. Hockenson averages 7.0 yards per target for his career. He is currently averaging 9.9 yards per reception, which is low for a tight end.

LaPorta might be a guy that sees a few all-pros during his career.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Yeah... He's bowling through, leaping over, and 'mean mugging' defenders. Can't remember the last time we had a guy like that on offense. Maybe Terrell when he'd get angry.

2nd week in a row he's done some sort of clean, snatch-grab catch too.
Dez did that type of stuff.

Carson

Reaction score
It’s amazing two things the media bashed Dallas every day on turned out to be positives

- Losing Moore
- Picking Fergs over Schultz

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Idk I'm not reading all of this.

If you're stuck on the word "impossible," it says more about you than me. It's a stupid point to make.
So, if you agree it's possible an elite TE could have missed that same pass, you agree that Ferguson missing that pass isn't a basis for judging his talent level relative to other TEs, right?

If you argue with that, you are contradicting yourself

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I always had this feeling about Jake that he would turn out to be a steal. That's why i was pissed when they used their 2nd on Schoon. He may turn out to be serviceable but we really needed an OL. And you can get serviceable in mid rounds.

joseephuss

Reaction score
It’s amazing two things the media bashed Dallas every day on turned out to be positives

- Losing Moore
- Picking Fergs over Schultz
I was happy that Dallas didn't overpay to retain Schultz. It was a good choice at the time no matter what Ferguson did in my opinion. I liked Schultz, but he was asking for too much. I think he was wanting a Hockenson type deal. He wasn't worth that and neither is Hockenson.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
He is very well rounded as a reciever, you attack the seem with him. You can have him catch that slant or drag in traffic. You can dump it off and have him pick up yards after the catch. Most importantly I think the talent is there for him to do these on a level where DC's try to take him away.

And dude is just a player. You see teams so often take TE's in the top 64 and have them be Noah Fant. I mean he is good, and stuff. When you have a Noah Fant, well at least you have a Noah Fant. But those guys eat leftovers like Shultz did. I think in Ferguson, we have a guy that could really become a catalytic player
IMG-0434.jpg

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Did someone actually claim Witten was supposedly a redzone monster?

Witten’s a first-ballot HOFer and was reliable, durable, but wholly unspectacular. He was a volume guy. He had zero catch radius outside of what he could extend for without leaving his feet. He was not a YAC guy at all. Anyone want to debate the numbers we can do it.

During his 17 year career he averaged just 4.3 TDs per season (Gonzalez averaged 6.5, Gates 7.7, Gronk averaged 8.3).

People will undoubtedly get their feelings hurt about what I said but it’s the truth. Doesn’t mean he’s not a HOFer but we don’t need to mythologize him.

FIGHTME.

Last edited: