Jake Ferguson has the potential to be a Pro Bowl fixture

Toro9

Reaction score
He's definitely a quality starter but all-pro? I dunno

cowboyed

Reaction score
Martellus Bennett was also an exceptional athlete at the TE position. Schoonmaker won’t see a second contract with the team. There’s a lot of exceptional athletes that don’t turn into good football players.
I don't disagree that exceptional athletes may not turn into good football players. We were discussing Schoonmaker, a rookie who hasn't had that many snaps at the position. It's too early to write him off. Besides college football track records & coach feedback there is something called the combine where draftees are athletically tested relative to playing pro-football and where they gage and record player athletic measurables.

Last edited:

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I love Ferg but he needs to cut out the trash talk and get back to the huddle.
Normally, I would agree with you, but we need that. Not too much...but intimidation - and refusing to back down to it - is part of football. A message was being sent around the league yesterday about the style of football we intend to play. It was built for outside December football. NFC East Football. Kudos to the coaching staff and MM...and I don't normally have much good to say about them.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't disagree that exceptional athletes may not turn into good football players. We were discussing Schoonmaker, a rookie who hasn't had that many snaps at the position. It's too early to write him
It’s early to write him off, but I don’t see him becoming a great player. He was a disappointment in training camp and he’s been a disappointment through 13 games of the regular season. Both Jake Ferguson, and Peyton Hendershot looked better as rookies last season. With Dalton Schultz leaving in free agency the TE position was wide open entering training camp and Schoonmaker has been left behind. Ferguson is developing into an excellent TE.

cowboyed

Reaction score
He has very limited snaps because he’s been injured and is our fourth TE.

Maybe next year he does something. For now, he’s just a guy who we don’t trust to put on the field for significant snaps.
I don't disagree Kwyn. He was drafted overall 58 in the second round I am sure with input from McClay and scouting company. I have stated Schoonmaker as a rookie has had limited snaps and it's too early to just write him off to another poster. In limited action he does have a couple of TDs under his belt. Maybe he will contribute more or not before the regular season or post season ends. One thing I believe, most of the elite tight ends in the game have a tendency to be exceptional athletes. Kelce - Chiefs, Njoku - Browns, Kittle - 9rs...etc...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
A two headed monster at TE would be very difficult to stop.
It would, but we only have a one headed monster. We had the potential for a two headed monster had John Stephens not been injured in training camp. He was having a terrific camp.

btgboys41

Reaction score
He is a big part of us being able to match the intensity and physicality of teams like Philly, Buffalo and SF. His impact goes beyond the catches which is great.

cowboyed

Reaction score
It’s early to write him off, but I don’t see him becoming a great player. He was a disappointment in training camp and he’s been a disappointment through 13 games of the regular season. Both Jake Ferguson, and Peyton Hendershot looked better as rookies last season. With Dalton Schultz leaving in free agency the TE position was wide open entering training camp and Schoonmaker has been left behind. Ferguson is developing into an excellent TE.
Fair enough, he has seen little receiving action but he is predominantly blocking for the team. I think in limited action he scored a couple of touchdowns. We'll see how he does the rest of our regular season or post season.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
He took a pretty big step after the bye or so.

But he still has a long way to go as a receiver to move into that elite territory. The elite players at the position all score on the one that got knocked away in the end zone.

ghst187

Reaction score
He was a fourth round pick. We wasted a fourth round pick trading for Trey Lance. Think about that.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Ferg made the most of his limited snaps last year, and in all those he flashed the same way he does now. This is why it's still mind boggling to me we took Schoon in the 2nd. Doesn't make sense at all. Fergs upside is huge, we could have used the 2nd on oline or LBer.
Spoonmaker was a wasted pick. Nothing more than a "stroke Jerry's ego" pick. We could have went oline with that pick and waited later to pick up Spoonmaker.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He took a pretty big step after the bye or so.

But he still has a long way to go as a receiver to move into that elite territory. The elite players at the position all score on the one that got knocked away in the end zone.
It's simply not accurate to suggest an elite TE can't have a ball knocked away. Yes, there was a chance to catch it, but elite doesn't mean infallible, or able to overcome everything at all times.

That said, I agree that Ferguson cant at this point be talked about in the same vein as the elite TE's. I love what I've seen from him the last 2 games - seems like he not only has a lot of confidence, but an attitude. He's feeling it - like he knows he is a stud. There have been a few other games this year where the production was big, but the attitude he is playing with now seems new.

But it's still a small sample size, so it will take time to tell how far he has come and how far he can go.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I love Ferg but he needs to cut out the trash talk and get back to the huddle.
He trash talks AFTER those clowns get in his face when they give him a hard pop. Did you mind the 90s cowboys trash talk? Because they were like the NFL's version of the Miami Hurricanes of the 80s.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Spoonmaker was a wasted pick. Nothing more than a "stroke Jerry's ego" pick. We could have went oline with that pick and waited later to pick up Spoonmaker.
Stroke Jerry's ego??? You really need to get a clue. You think Jerry walked into the draft room and said, listen up boys, when our turn comes round, Y'all gonna draft this kid Schoonmaker, ya hear me. Now get on up out here and poor me another JW.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How, exactly, was that supposed to stroke Jerry's ego?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Stroke Jerry's ego??? You really need to get a clue. You think Jerry walked into the draft room and said, listen up boys, when our turn comes round, Y'all gonna draft this kid Schoonmaker, ya hear me. Now get on up out here and poor me another JW.
And what makes you think he didn't? That trade for Lance was on Jerry as well. So long Jerry is the owner and GM of this team I would not put that past him to make decisions like this.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
It's simply not accurate to suggest an elite TE can't have a ball knocked away.
Sure it is, on that play.

Shield the defender, attack the football. He basically just let the defender put himself into a 50/50 position.