Jalen Rose: Trade Elliott

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The bad contracts we want gone won't be wanted by anyone else either.

The others might want, we'll want to keep.

The biggest exception is ASmith. We'd *like* to keep him. But I don't see how we do sitting atop Lawrence's contract. So we're letting him go. A team willing to franchise him could see a lot of value in trading for him this year.

Flamma

Reaction score
Next year actually starts Zeke's extension. I highly doubt anyone else would want to pick that up.

The only reason he's expendable right now is because we keep going down by so many points. Besides that, where was the offense for the first 3 quarters?

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
In theory this passing game should make the running game wide open, in theory. We should be able to gouge opposing defenses, but it ain't happened yet.
Running game tough to use when you're down 20+ points early.

Also hard to use when your back fumbles on his best run of the night.

ccb04

Reaction score
You can also argue the opposite and say trade Cooper for example. Why?

- The current offensive formula of passing the ball so much isn't winning. The Cowboys most successful teams of the last few seasons, were balanced & more run oriented, with guys like Zeke and Murray leading the league in rushing. And with or without Zeke, they need to be more balanced. Ironically, the Browns have committed to becoming more of a running team this season, even hiring Bill Callahan. And they made that commitment despite having OBJ & Landry at receiver, talent at TE, and the 1st overall pick in the 2018 draft at QB. So Rose had an example of the opposing view to his argument on the opposite sideline during the same game.

- More focus on running the ball early, could also potentially help them control the clock, as TOP is terrible so far this year...and it could also help take a bit of pressure off of an offensive line that is trying to replace T-Fred, not to mention both starting tackle positions being in flux and Williams still getting driven back at times in pass protection. Unfortunately, turnovers and horrendous defensive play have dug some deep holes early and negated the run game at times.

- The teams deepest position is WR. Yes, they paid Cooper and drafted Lamb, but one happened before the other and they also lost Cobb. And no one expected Lamb to be there. Gallup, Lamb, Wilson, Brown, and even Schultz, have all stepped up. While Copper definitely creates some opportunities, they would seemingly still have enough weapons to produce in the passing game in a balanced offensive attack.

- So far, the two worst contracts they've recently doled out, are on the defensive side of the ball with Lawrence and Smith. Rose said they 'paid the defense' lol ... but how's that worked out?

To begin attempting to fix the secondary, I would get on the phone and attempt to trade for Vikings safety Anthony Harris, who is playing on a 1 year contract after being unable to reach a deal with the Vikes. The CB position has been without both starting CB's and replaced Jones with a promising rookie that's gonna take his lumps. The safeties however, have been terrible for a long time in Dallas, and this year, they are often the reason for these big plays over the top. Not to mention, their poor tackling.

aria

Reaction score
Being that most championship caliber teams don’t place a premium value on RB’s (rightfully so) I don’t know who would be dumb enough to take on his ridiculous contract, let give anything for him.

zeke’s agent knew how dumb Jerry is and played him like a fiddle.

CWR

Reaction score
Running game tough to use when you're down 20+ points early.

Also hard to use when your back fumbles on his best run of the night.

We have seen the best play of the night result in a fumble going back to Dez holding the ball like a loaf of bread. Lol, frustrating as hell.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
Jalen has a very good point. If McCarthy is here to stay Elliott has to go.

Until Zeke runs for 180 yards against someone and then it is trade someone else.

Bottom line: The Cowboys aren't trading anyone unless they decide they are in full rebuild mode. That would mean a fire sale to get rid of players that have long term cap implications, and picking up decent draft picks along the way. Notice I said "decent" and not high draft picks.

Brooksey

Reaction score
If we're going to make a trade it would be Gallup or Cedrick Wilson. I'd move Cedrick Wilson after his break out game

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Ewok & Tank are 2 players Dallas could have saved a fortune on. They're good but shouldn't be paid as great.

I feel for Jerry.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
LOL. The cap hit we'd have to take would be bad and no one is giving up premium picks for Elliott.

Again, most teams don't value RBs like we do. If you trade him now, you have to accelerate another 8MM onto the cap.

Exactly as Zeke is not tradable until after the 2021 season at the earliest. Unfortunately Dallas screwed themselves with these contracts as players like Zeke, J. Smith, Lawrence, and Cooper received big contract extensions and are stuck on this team the next few seasons while performing like crap.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
We got roster problems... We really do.

Paying Dak and keeping these guys around him is just not it.

I know the Jones’s have conviction and are late to react but if we pay Dak and don’t make any moves outside of the draft it’s going to be difficult to come close to winning a championship.

I hate that we’re a month into the season and we basically have already lost all hope going forward.
Been calling out the bad build model for awhile now.
Just cut every large contract but DAK and scrap it all

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Jalen has a very good point. If McCarthy is here to stay Elliott has to go.

The problem is old man Jerry doesn't have a long-term plan. He thinks he's chasing a Super Bowl every year because he doesn't know how many years he has left.

That's why he caved to DLaw and Zeke. I'm surprised he didn't cave to Dak, but he knew he could fall back on the tag this season.

Zeke is a waste of resources in this offense, but his contract would minimize whatever he could get in a trade.

InTheZone

Reaction score
If we're trading zeke then go ahead and trade Dak and Cooper. Draft a QB in the 1st, spend the other 1sts and remaining picks on defense and only defense.

aria

Reaction score
Not trying to be funny here. Are we even sure dak can put up numbers without Zeke. Defenses still have to respect Zeke. I think it’s a little risky to be honest. I think Zeke is under appreciated.
Under appreciated? He’s the most over rated player on this team.

Defenses don’t respect the ewok like most people assume. The number of stacked boxes he’s faced has gone down every year since his rookie season. Last year 22 other RB’s faced more stacked boxes than he did.