Jalen Tolbert speaks

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
You are an insufferable homer.
But ...... but ...... Rockport says I'm an insufferable hater ...... What am I !!!!!!!
raining.jpg

Portnoy1

Reaction score
What would be an acceptable answer on Tolberts part? How should he account for last season when questioned?
I was replying to the previous poster about Tolbert following the Dak PR playbook. Dak would say week after week the INTs were on him and, how he can’t do that etc. Yet it continued. Tolbert can say alot or say nothing at all. His play last year was not great, so I’m more concerned about how he performs more so than what he says which goes back to my original comment

CWR

Reaction score
I was replying to the previous poster about Tolbert following the Dak PR playbook. Dak would say week after week the INTs were on him and, how he can’t do that etc. Yet it continued. Tolbert can say alot or say nothing at all. His play last year was not great, so I’m more concerned about how he performs more so than what he says which goes back to my original comment

Yeah I know, but I don't know why people act suprised when players answer questions. Part of their job description is media. Would you rather him Marshawn Lynch it? There would be more criticism from that.

You guys get mad when players say something off brand and equally as irritated when they answer questions perfectly.

Seems ridiculous when everyone knows the root of the frustration is on the field results regardless of what these guys say in front of a camera.

My take is he was a rookie in over his head. I won't write him off yet. I actually felt somewhat encouraged hearing how articulate he was. One of my fears was that he wasn't very smart and struggled to comprehend what was being thrown at him. He seemed like a smart enough kid and he is clearly self aware enough to know how good he wasn't last year. I dont have a ton of hope, but I'll wait to pile on.

T-RO

Reaction score
Yeah I know, but I don't know why people act suprised when players answer questions. Part of their job description is media. Would you rather him Marshawn Lynch it? There would be more criticism from that.

You guys get mad when players say something off brand and equally as irritated when they answer questions perfectly.

Seems ridiculous when everyone knows the root of the frustration is on the field results regardless of what these guys say in front of a camera.

My take is he was a rookie in over his head. I won't write him off yet. I actually felt somewhat encouraged hearing how articulate he was. One of my fears was that he wasn't very smart and struggled to comprehend what was being thrown at him. He seemed like a smart enough kid and he is clearly self aware enough to know how good he wasn't last year. I dont have a ton of hope, but I'll wait to pile on.

100%

Reactions: CWR

Portnoy1

Reaction score

Hopefully he emerges, I feel with the Cooks trade it’s going to force him to press because his opportunities are going to be limited. Last season due to Gallups injury and the removal of Cooper it was a golden opportunity. Now with Cooks as a bonified no 2 and Gallup a no 3 and maybe another WR obtained and the TEs he’ll need to flash whenever he is out there. One bad rookie season doesn’t make him a bust or anything thankfully but again hopefully year two will be better. I haven’t seen anything to convince me of that, however to your point I haven’t seen anything yet to say that this year will be bad

Reactions: CWR

Cmac

Reaction score
Technique, film study, and "above the shoulders" prowess overrules talent in the league.....everybody has the talent to be in the league.

Big D

Reaction score
Yeah, I was only half serious, but a guy can dream!!
I hear you. :grin: I think he might have been a little bit overwhelmed at the situation in Dallas. It is a circus atmosphere of the highest order and takes a special mentality to thrive in that situation. He made a glaring mistake but I think he's learned a few things. Year two will be better for him.

Mannix

Reaction score
I just remember him severely alligator arming balls twice when he should have been trying to show out....that is NOT a trait that one snaps out of....its something inherent.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just remember him severely alligator arming balls twice when he should have been trying to show out....that is NOT a trait that one snaps out of....its something inherent.
He was a nervous rookie. Nothing in his scouting report I remember reading about that.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Did he just not look good in camp or drop passes or how was his attitude
He looked decent in camp from the reports, I believe. But, they kept saying maybe they we're asking too much of him to learn all the different WR positions. Sounds like Tolbert wasn't too bright to be honest.

75boyz

Reaction score
There was an early offseason article written last year on how Dennis Houston had been totally dedicated to the playbook and Tolbert not so much.
First impressions and all but that kinda bothered me.
Then with soooooo many healthy scratches while the variety of flux within the WR room was taking place in season, I did not know if he was lacking physically, mentally or both last year.

Hopefully he does like a huge Terrence Steele change from rookie to sophomore season. Steele totally stunk the joint up as a rook too.

I 'm skeptical of him personally, but Dak needs all the help he can get to carry him so maybe he can prove me and other doubters wrong.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He really shouldn't talk. That's how bad he was. Extremely bad. So disappointing for a costly 3rd round pick. Showed he had no business being drafted that high. He has so much work to do to prove he even belongs on the team. Last thing he needs to be doing right now is talking.
This will be interesting to see what happens to this kid. Because they didnt use him at all. Stephen made it sound like they tried to teach him EVERY position as a rookie and he simply couldnt handle it mentally. But if the kid had amazing talent, they would have gotten him out there at some point.