Jalen Tolbert speaks

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The Cowboys put too much on Tolbert last season. Tried him outside and in the slot and just overloaded his mind.

I think with a fresh start and more experience he can be a faster version of Michael Gallup.

WAY too soon to give up on this kid.
This^^^^^^

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
This kid needs to keep an eye on the line of scrimmage and not line up beyond it. He can't do that so he can't play. I expect less than nothing from him. At this point, he's a liability on the roster.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
We had a guy named Jimmy Smith here in the 90's, same deal..we drafted him and he never did seem 2 improve and get on the field due to multiple reasons. But after we gave up on him and traded him he was great for the Jags. Became an elite wr for a few years there. The light came on for him when he was able to get the reps. I feel we have a similar sitch here with Jalen. Lets give the kid time. I have a hunch he will flash at very least given a chance.
If I recall correctly Smith had some injury issues and at the time they had a stacked roster from top to bottom. Then you add in a coach that didn’t take crap or wait on injured guys who had never produced. Still stings to this day that they let him go because they lost Alvin Harper shortly thereafter and could have used him.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Just a case where we expected too much from him.

I seem to recall multiple scouting reports that said he was a guy that was ready to step right into an NFL offense. I believe off season camps and stuff were touting him as well and that he was looking good.

He got more hype than he should have because everyone knew going into the season that Gallup wasn't going to be healthy to start and we had nothing behind him with any NFL experience outside of Noah Brown.

He should have been given one position to learn and played a ton in the preseason but that didn't happen.

He did disappoint but you could pretty much see it coming. Let's not forget that we were also counting on Fehoko and a few other guys like Vasher step up and none did.

Now Vasher (and Lance Lenoir) are playing in the XFL.

TonyRomoFan2

Reaction score
I get what you mean man but that’s just not how humans work and that’s not how you treat media members who have a job to do.

He was asked a question and he responded humbly and said he needed to improve. To say he hasn’t earned the right to literally speak words as a human being is nuts lol. Having a bad rookie year doesn’t mean you can’t answer a question.

It’s not like he was doing it on his own platform either or tweeting it. He simply just said he needs to improve and he’s looking forward to doing it. Treat him like a human and not just some commodity.
Stole the words straight from my mouth….

Very well put and intelligent response.

RoboQB

Reaction score
We had a guy named Jimmy Smith here in the 90's, same deal..we drafted him and he never did seem 2 improve and get on the field due to multiple reasons. But after we gave up on him and traded him he was great for the Jags. Became an elite wr for a few years there. The light came on for him when he was able to get the reps. I feel we have a similar sitch here with Jalen. Lets give the kid time. I have a hunch he will flash at very least given a chance.
Jimmy Smith broke his leg in the Blue-White scrimmage in his rookie season. The next year, while leading all Cowboys WRs in receptions in pre-season he had emergency surgery and lost a ton of weight (was down to 143 lbs.). Jalon Tolbert couldn't line up. Classic "apples and oranges" comparison here.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I’m so amazed a kid from South Alabama didn’t just dominate out of the gate.

If the team expected him to even be somewhat productive it was peak naïveté.
Yeah, some of us thought he could.

The only problem is he never got the chance.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jimmy Smith didn't play much for us because he was seriously injured two years straight.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Keep an eye on this kid.........

The team needs to be patient with him, he has raw talent but he was not ready to play in the NFL as a rookie.

And the lining up offsides in the Packers game was inexcusable, it was a huge mental blunder and very well may have cost us the game.

irishline

Reaction score
You're right. He could have said, "Sorry folks. Nothing to say. I haven't earned it. Have much to work on. Thank you. Have a nice day."
Name one time any player, rightly or wrongly, said what you just typed.

Get what you are saying but let's not act like it happens more than say .02% of the time in reality. And that percentage is being generous.

He was asked a question and answered it positively and acknowledged he has work to do. All you can ask for. Agree with you about the use of a 3rd round pick on someone who by all accounts was as woefully unprepared as he was, but that's on the team not him.

Last edited:

CWR

Reaction score

He was good for a decade, like really good. That one hurt me for awhile.

CWR

Reaction score
The team needs to be patient with him, he has raw talent but he was not ready to play in the NFL as a rookie.

And the lining up offsides in the Packers game was inexcusable, it was a huge mental blunder and very well may have cost us the game.

Michael Gehlken
@GehlkenNFL
·
Follow
Cowboys WR Jalen Tolbert was called for offside. The problem was not that he failed to check with the down judge. It was that he waited. Tolbert didn't look over until 11 seconds left on play clock. Snap came at nine. He moved too little, too late. Learning experience for rookie.

Yeah it was a blunder none the less. This makes it a bit more understandable, for me at least