James Coney or Dan Campbell OC?

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Gotta be Nussmeier's job to lose. He has to pretty much insult Jerry in his interview to lose the job

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Um. Point of order.

Would it be considered tampering if you contact another team's coach under the circumstances?

It would be, no?
I believe so. We have to wait until the Saints seasonis over to contact Campbell I believe

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
I'm slower to believe that. Like turtle slow.

If it's Campbell, I don't know how one comes to any other conclusion but that Garrett had heavy influence.

If it's not Campbell, okay, maybe so.
we are screwed then, Coley is a duplicate of Garrett's philosophy and you say Campbell is also. yeah this team has some of the dumbest at the top if this is the case

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
depends what your definition of aggressive is I guess. In my opinion, Joe Lombardi and or Dan Campbell are instant upgrades. Super aggressive would be firing Garrett and hiring a college coach as your HC...LIKE DABO Swinney....

I have not heard Dabo mentioned for any NFL spots. I’ll take that move all day!

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If I am limited to the 3 guys they are talking about in the media, I think I would go with Campbell. He has the tough mentality combined with the experience of working with Payton. I'd like to have a guy with more experience, but if these are my choices give me Campbell.

Little Jr

Reaction score
If it's anyone connected to JG or his philosophy there was no reason to fire Linehan. JG offense/playbook/philosophy is the problem. It needs to be someone with no connections and give them full control over the offense.

_sturt_

Reaction score
we are screwed then, Coley is a duplicate of Garrett's philosophy and you say Campbell is also. yeah this team has some of the dumbest at the top if this is the case

Pardon some thoughts...

1. I don't know that you're going to get away from the HC having strong influence on the playbook and what the OC does, in Dallas or otherwise. That's just inherent with how things naturally work.

2. I don't know that you want a OC who is that separated from the HC in philosophy, much for the same reasons that we saw evidence this past season that having a O-line coach whose philosophy was different than the HC's, it was a dysfunctional situation.

3. I know I haven't seen Coley's work as an OC, not being a GA fan and mainly being interested in just my team (Marshall) these days.

4. I know I haven't said anything about Campbell's work as an OC because he hasn't been one.

5. I'm one of those who think, on the one hand, football isn't so complicated that us fans can't offer our thoughts and comments intelligently to some degree... and on the other... there is a reason why coaches get hired instead of fans when job openings come up. I'm one of those who tries to recognize accurately what I know, and as importantly, have an appreciation for what I don't know... and to grant benefit of a doubt according to how I'd like to think others extend it to me, whether they do or not.

6. I think gaining what can only be described as a Parcells/Payton disciple has a lot of merit.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I think they’re waiting until after playoffs so they can look at coaches from playoff teams

_sturt_

Reaction score
Btw and fwiw.... Campbell's only extant influence outside of the Parcells coaching tree?

That would be none other than our current DC, for whom he played 3 years in Detroit. :)

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Pardon some thoughts...

1. I don't know that you're going to get away from the HC having strong influence on the playbook and what the OC does, in Dallas or otherwise. That's just inherent with how things naturally work.

2. I don't know that you want a OC who is that separated from the HC in philosophy, much for the same reasons that we saw evidence this past season that having a O-line coach whose philosophy was different than the HC's, it was a dysfunctional situation.

3. I know I haven't seen Coley's work as an OC, not being a GA fan and mainly being interested in just my team (Marshall) these days.

4. I know I haven't said anything about Campbell's work as an OC because he hasn't been one.

5. I'm one of those who think, on the one hand, football isn't so complicated that us fans can't offer our thoughts and comments intelligently to some degree... and on the other... there is a reason why coaches get hired instead of fans when job openings come up. I'm one of those who tries to recognize accurately what I know, and as importantly, have an appreciation for what I don't know... and to grant benefit of a doubt according to how I'd like to think others extend it to me, whether they do or not.

6. I think gaining what can only be described as a Parcells/Payton disciple has a lot of merit.
yeah that is my point exactly.... we don't do what we need to do and fire the guy at the top, so what do we have? a bunch of mismatch pieces trying to fit a tank through a rabbit hole. At this point, we can only hope for the best while expecting the same.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
The only thing that’s important,is that they are apt at using a QB like Dak. I’m pretty sure they know who’s the guy already,because they wasted no time in Linehan’s release. Either that or they were thinking like me,that just get him out of here and deal with working things out later,even if that means you don’t get your guy,and Garrett has to take over the duties.

Sinister

Reaction score
What quality offensive genius/play-caller would want to work for Jerry?
For Jerry, the coach has to justify Jerry's hand-picked players.
Jerry is the ultimate decision-maker in this organization.

Think of Jerry's hire of Bruce Coslet in 2002 -- get an offensive play-caller that can prove that Jerry's draft selection of Quincy Carter is validated.
Jerry wants a yes man -- not someone who is going to challenge his authority or decision-making.

Geez, I forgot about Coslet. What a monumental disaster that was. Hahaha.