James Washington return?

Jarntt

Reaction score
Washington took up all those training camp reps. Could have used them on someone else who doesn't have a history of getting injured or used them on our young receivers. When today's pass-happy Steelers let you go, but you're only 25 years old, that's a huge red flag. Cowboys are learning this the hard way. A waste in so many ways.
What training camp reps was he keeping from a player with NFL ability? We had a bunch of UDFAs getting tons of training camp reps as it was. We actually needed WR bodies at camp at times. Remember all the names touted on here as guys that might make the roster and none of them are on any NFL roster

lukemartin79

Reaction score
I don’t think he was ever thought of as the #3 WR over Brown and the young guys. I think he was the #4 and the team assumed they would get more from Tolbert, Simi, etc
No, thats what I read several times when they signed Washington. He was going to be the # 3 guy. Brown was a surprise and only has been a big part of things when Rush was playing and thats because Rush was so comfortable with him from all the second team reps they had in practice. If you notice he's been pretty quiet since Daks been back- granted theres been a few big catches- but nothing like the amounts he was getting from Rush.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I said it from the very beginning signing James Washington was a huge mistake.

I wouldn't consider a 1 year contract for a little more than the vet minimum a huge mistake. The only mistake about it was the Cowboys thinking we would get a receiver 3 from Washington or Tolbert this year. Would have been more interesting if Washinton was healthy, but at this point its looking unlikely we see him play a snap.

Jarntt

Reaction score
No, thats what I read several times when they signed Washington. He was going to be the # 3 guy. Brown was a surprise and only has been a big part of things when Rush was playing and thats because Rush was so comfortable with him from all the second team reps they had in practice. If you notice he's been pretty quiet since Daks been back- granted theres been a few big catches- but nothing like the amounts he was getting from Rush.
You read? That’s just some camp media guys opinion. That doesn’t mean anything. What means something is the low contract they gave him that allowed them to keep or cut him with little cap hit. Always follow the money. Brown has been consistently active and got snaps even when we had Cooper here and IMO we drafted Tolbert hoping he’d be ready to play in 3 wide sets or at worst as a #4. IMO Washington wasn’t going to be the #3 behind CeeDee and Gallup except if everything else fell apart. That was the whole idea. Insurance move.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
They barely have played Tolbert. How many games has he dressed for or gotten off the sidelines for, LOL. And he ISNT hurt. So that was the grand plan drafting a WR with that pick, LOL. So your opinion is held in great esteem by Jerry is it GUY, LOL. I will believe what they say after signing someone about their plans for him over YOUR OPINIONS anyway. LOL - thanks for the laughs this morning. I can cancel the clowns now

lukemartin79

Reaction score
You read? That’s just some camp media guys opinion. That doesn’t mean anything. What means something is the low contract they gave him that allowed them to keep or cut him with little cap hit. Always follow the money. Brown has been consistently active and got snaps even when we had Cooper here and IMO we drafted Tolbert hoping he’d be ready to play in 3 wide sets or at worst as a #4. IMO Washington wasn’t going to be the #3 behind CeeDee and Gallup except if everything else fell apart. That was the whole idea. Insurance move.
Follow the money HUH. Brown makes less than Washington, so according to your own logic, or lack thereof, Washington is higher up than Brown- so you just proved your own point goofy yet again, LOL

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
He took his $175,000, or whatever paltry contract he signed and ran….
1,187,500...the guy was a second round draft pick, so I had no problem with them signing him. But after the injury they should have released him. I'd rather pay the injury settlement then pay a guy to miss half the season. To me, he was a camp body in case there were injuries, but he himself was injured. Should have cut him.

Proof

Reaction score
Follow the money HUH. Brown makes less than Washington, so according to your own logic, or lack thereof, Washington is higher up than Brown- so you just proved your own point goofy yet again, LOL

lol along with waving away “sone camp guys opinion” to assert his own

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What training camp reps was he keeping from a player with NFL ability? We had a bunch of UDFAs getting tons of training camp reps as it was. We actually needed WR bodies at camp at times. Remember all the names touted on here as guys that might make the roster and none of them are on any NFL roster
Drafted young WRs like Noah Brown, Simi Fehoko and Jalen Tolbert. That's not including 3-4 undrafted WRs who the Cowboys kept on their practice squad. All could have used more reps than the ones given to James Washington who has yet to even touch the field this season.

Any further questions?

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Why was it a huge mistake?
  • They signed him to small deal
  • He hasn't taken up a roster spot
  • He hasn't caused any trouble or problems
I like Brandon Smith. So anybody getting in between Smith and real playing time is a mistake to me. lol.

B.Smith is not a slot guy, so I actually had no problem with them drafting Tolbert. But Smith should be ahead of Simi and Noah in my book. Opinions vary, but Smith is my pet cat. And that leads me to think they should have cut Washington after his injury.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Drafted young WRs like Noah Brown, Simi Fehoko and Jalen Tolbert. That's not including 3-4 undrafted WRs who the Cowboys kept on their practice squad. All could have used more reps than the ones given to James Washington who has yet to even touch the field this season.

Any further questions?
Great points. If only they knew Washington would never step on the field ever. Brown benefitted from his obvious rapport with Rush. Which makes sense because Im sure he threw to him more than Lamb, Gallup and Schultz in practice on the 2nd unit. It was clear Rush knew him, trusted him and looked for him - and he came up big for Rush.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Washington took up all those training camp reps. Could have used them on someone else who doesn't have a history of getting injured or used them on our young receivers. When today's pass-happy Steelers let you go, but you're only 25 years old, that's a huge red flag. Cowboys are learning this the hard way. A waste in so many ways.
He does not have a history of getting injured. As football players go he's been pretty darn healthy.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Broaddus says if they don't get OBJ they will activate Washington.

I'm not sure why one has anything to do with the other.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
If we sign Beckham, they will probably cut him

For those that keep referencing Dallas signing OBJ, what is the point of signing him if he may not be available until late December:

"NFL Network's Ian Rapoport believes free agent Odell Beckham (knee) is unlikely to play before late December.

Beckham's timeline has gone from mid-November into early December. It now looks like he won't be ready until the end of next month. Beckham isn't scheduled to visit with Dallas until December 5, making it unlikely he signs before then. The Giants and Buffalo have visits lined up with Beckham in addition to the Cowboys. With only six weeks remaining before the playoffs, Beckham may be targeting a multi-year deal."

Jarntt

Reaction score
Wow. You struggle to understand even a basic point. And double check those salaries that show Washington making more than brown again. If you want to believe Washington was signed to be the #3 WR, have at it. But everything the team has done says otherwise

USArmyVet

Reaction score
True he didn't cosy much, its not about the $ lost, it was peanuts. But they were counting on him as the # 3 guy and to pick up some of the production of Coops being traded or given away. They were expecting that.

While Dallas signed Washington to 'only' a 1-year $1.187M deal, that appears to be money wasted, especially seeing as how KC sign Smith Schuster for $3.7M and has put up the following stats this season: 46 catches 615 yards 2 td's

Flamma

Reaction score
Wow. You struggle to understand even a basic point. And double check those salaries that show Washington making more than brown again. If you want to believe Washington was signed to be the #3 WR, have at it. But everything the team has done says otherwise

I think he meant Noah Brown.