Twitter: Jane Slater: Cowboys interested in Emmanuel Sanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Fair point. It was a pretty cheap contract for Cobb. But I think the Cowboys have shown they value the slot position, so who knows?

I'm hoping Pollard takes that roster spot in the base as that run/receiving gimmick player we've been working on for years. By far the best runner of them, with size and speed to be a deep threat too. I think that was what he was drafted for, and then he surprised by being a legitimate tailback.

That leaves the main need in the slot as a possession/redzone/backup veteran outside WR. Somebody to help move the chains on 3rd down when we take Pollard out.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm hoping Pollard takes that roster spot in the base as that run/receiving gimmick player we've been working on for years. By far the best runner of them, with size and speed to be a deep threat too. I think that was what he was drafted for, and then he surprised by being a legitimate tailback.

That leaves the main need in the slot as a possession/redzone/backup veteran outside WR. Somebody to help move the chains on 3rd down when we take Pollard out.
I doubt they will make Pollard the regular slot receiver because I think they will want someone who is dedicated to that role rather than filling that role with a run/receiver gimmick player who lines up all over the place. IF they do use Pollard as a gimmick guy, I see him as possibly a part time RB, part time receiver out of the backfield, and part time 4th receiver.

king987

Reaction score
I'm mixed about this. I'm sure Dak could use a reliable veteran like Sanders, but the draft is flooded with WR talent this year.

All comes down to price, I suppose. No way he's getting paid like Cobb did, not from Dallas at least.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I do think that could be interesting with his ability as a back and receiver. Gets him on the field more than just as Elliott's backup. I had sort of forgotten about Pollard for this role, but I do think it's an intriguing option.

keysersoze

Reaction score
This smells like one of those names we get linked to that we really have zero interest in signing.

If they wanted to spend that on a 3rd WR, why not bring Cobb back for a similar number? Didn't Cobb and McCarthy get along?
Cobb is getting an average of 9 mil per year in Houston.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I do think that could be interesting with his ability as a back and receiver. Gets him on the field more than just as Elliott's backup. I had sort of forgotten about Pollard for this role, but I do think it's an intriguing option.

Once upon a time teams used to use 2 HB sets frequently. I wanted them to try it back in the day with Barber and Felix. Teams have gotten a lot funkier with that extra back in terms of misdirection, and Pollard really fits the bill for that player, especially since he's not just a gimmick player, but a credible back up the middle too.

We're a strong team for movement blocking, and every down we run grinds the defense down. The more runners we put on the field, the more we can lean on the run blocking of the oline w/o running Zeke into the dirt, the more we exploit Zeke's value as a decoy, and the more we clear room for Zeke to run. Instead of just worrying about deep threats relative to Zeke's running, they'll have to worry about wide runs from Pollard too. And keepers from Dak. Everyone has to be accounted for all the time.

Makes the most of Dak too. He's pretty good with the RPOs and read options.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I doubt they will make Pollard the regular slot receiver because I think they will want someone who is dedicated to that role rather than filling that role with a run/receiver gimmick player who lines up all over the place. IF they do use Pollard as a gimmick guy, I see him as possibly a part time RB, part time receiver out of the backfield, and part time 4th receiver.

I doubt that they play Pollard *like* a slot receiver, though he probably lines up in the slot most often before motion.

Pollard as the 5th man in the base personnel package after Zeke, Jarwin, Cooper, and Gallup. Probably lines up mostly in the slot at first, but goes in motion most of the time.

With the money we just put into Jarwin, I see the top 4 not leaving the field that often. Adding the usual type of slot WR to that mix instead of Pollard isn't a good personnel package for us in the base. Puts too much attention and load on Zeke for runs.

We could do a similar thing with Olawale. We get more blocking, less horizontal motion, but an even better deep threat given his history in college as a TE and the likely mismatches.

And then there's party time, with Jarwin out and Olawale as FB/TE and Pollard as slot/gimmick RB/WR. We'd have 4 credible runners on the field. I wanted to do that in 2018, with Austin in the place of Pollard, when our TEs were a JV squad and shouldn't have been on the field. 20 personnel.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This smells like one of those names we get linked to that we really have zero interest in signing.

If they wanted to spend that on a 3rd WR, why not bring Cobb back for a similar number? Didn't Cobb and McCarthy get along?

I don't see how it can make sense unless they're committed to 3 WR in the base, where Sanders would basically be a starter. That means they don't plan to do much with Pollard or Olawale. What a waste of Pollard that would be.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Something tells me the source is Sanders agent trying to drum up interest in their guy. Sanders is a good player, but typically when these "rumours" drop about Dallas they are usually nothing but smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.