Jason Allen fails physicals...

burmafrd

Reaction score
A hip injury is a biggie- remember Bo Jackson? He was never the same after his. You can regain your straight line speed- but quickness and agility rarely if ever returns to what it was before. And for a DB that is every bit as important as your 40 times.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I just did not want us to take this guy because of his hips......I want to draft healthy players.....although, I wish him the very best.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
If he failed a pair of physicals, he won't fall to the second round. He'll probably fall to the 3rd round or quite possibly the second day.

The stock of safeties in the draft usually drops come draft day. Now considering he suffered a tough hip injury, teams are going to be more averse to getting him.

I always thought that Allen would be a guy that the Cowboys might draft, but I was thinking in the 3rd round or later.

Rich..........

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
If he failed a pair of physicals, he won't fall to the second round. He'll probably fall to the 3rd round or quite possibly the second day.

The stock of safeties in the draft usually drops come draft day. Now considering he suffered a tough hip injury, teams are going to be more averse to getting him.

I always thought that Allen would be a guy that the Cowboys might draft, but I was thinking in the 3rd round or later.

Rich..........
:hammer:

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
playit12 said:
You mean like Demarcus Ware?

Demarcus Ware was pretty much always considered a first round talent. He went right about where he was projected in the end.

His only drawbacks were the fact that he played for Troy and that he was a bit small for a 4-3 DE in the NFL. He was also a finalist for the Hendricks Award (nation's top defensive end). His workout numbers and interviews just solidified the fact that he was a first rounder. San Diego was waiting to see our pick. If we took Merriman they were going to take Ware.

Reaction score
Trade down in the 1st which I hope we will. Taking Allen in the 4th would be a steal "if" he makes it there and on the field

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:

Rich..........

Willis McGahee failed multiple physicals. Dan Marino's knee got him redflagged until he dropped until the late first round. Brett Favre lasted until the second because he was still recovering from injuries from a car accident.

You cannot definitely say he will drop this many rounds or that many.

Teams have different guidelines for physicals. Because he flunked one team's doesn't mean he won't pass another. It depends upon how stringent they are.

It happens all the time. That is how a player like Fonoti can flunk one team's physical and then turn around a week later and get signed.

marchetta

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80 said:
No thanks, the Cowboys certainly don't need another injury prone University of Tennesee player, as it stands with already drafting Kevin Burnett in last year's draft. :mad:

Not to mention that CB that we drafted that had an "unknown" heart condition. Can't remember his name, but he's now serving time for vehicular manslaughter after leaving the scene (you know how he is).

garyv

Reaction score
Well I'm glad hes failed physicals because he is not what I wanted for the Boyz.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Willis McGahee failed multiple physicals. Dan Marino's knee got him redflagged until he dropped until the late first round. Brett Favre lasted until the second because he was still recovering from injuries from a car accident.

McGahee = RB
Marino = QB
Favre = QB
Allen = S

You cannot definitely say he will drop this many rounds or that many.

Watch and see.

Every year there's usually a bunch of safeties who are projected to go in the first round or second round and they wind up not getting picked until the second day. Last year was a perfect example with all of the experts claiming Ernest Shazor and Brandon Browner were no worse than a second round pick and they didn't even get drafted.

Rich..............

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
Every year there's usually a bunch of safeties who are projected to go in the first round or second round and they wind up not getting picked until the second day. Last year was a perfect example with all of the experts claiming Ernest Shazor and Brandon Browner were no worse than a second round pick and they didn't even get drafted.

Rich..............

I don't doubt there is a chance Allen drops like a rock. But I know better than to assert that he most assuredly will. The draft is too subjective and volatile.

acheman

Reaction score
Beware of teams spreading FALSE rumors in order to assure themselves of a chance to land someone they may have their eye's on. He put up incredible numbers at the combine and his pro-day for a guy who could not pass a physical. And believe me he is worth the risk. And even in the bottom of the first he would be a steal. He is a player, not a numbers freak.

PacoReloaded

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Tennessee safety Jason Allen reportedly failed a pair of physicals The tweener safety/cornerback's stock has experienced a roller coaster since injuring his hip during his senior season. Thought to be a possible first-rounder, this news will push him down into the second round. Apr. 11 - 8:27 pm et

Source: ESPN.com Insider
But.. but.. but.. that's who Kiper has us picking at #18.

/sarcasm

VoR

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Tennessee safety Jason Allen reportedly failed a pair of physicals The tweener safety/cornerback's stock has experienced a roller coaster since injuring his hip during his senior season. Thought to be a possible first-rounder, this news will push him down into the second round. Apr. 11 - 8:27 pm et

Source: ESPN.com Insider
Failing physicals will be dropping him lower than the second.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I don't doubt there is a chance Allen drops like a rock. But I know better than to assert that he most assuredly will. The draft is too subjective and volatile.

The draft isn't that subjective and volatile. If you really look at the history of the draft you'll see what positions do really well and which positions don't do really well each year. Safety is one of those positions that doesn't do very well on a consistent basis. The same could be said for non-pass rushing LB's and fullbacks.

There are some *players* who are volatile such as a really good college WR whose stock suddenly drops because his forty times stunk or a guy like DeWayne Robertson who was a good sized DT with both run stopping and pass rushing ability who went and had a terrific Pro Day workout.

But, a position like safety almost always goes lower than people think and typically a stock will drop with virtually any player who is coming off an injury and can't pass a physical.

I'm not saying it's an absolute certainty, but the smart bet is that Allen doesn't get drafted until at least the third round. And if he does get drafted in the first or second, it's really an aberration considering his position and health status.

Rich.........

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trickblue said:
Yep... they have been talking him up because of what he once WAS...

A little research would tell them that he is only 80% in regards to the injured hip. Doctors say it may or may not improve.

It's a risky propostion... and now that he fails more than one physical, I bet he drops further than round 2...

Very true.

playit12

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Demarcus Ware was pretty much always considered a first round talent. He went right about where he was projected in the end.

Well yeah... I'm sure after players rise and fall post combine they generally are taken where they are projected. But before the combine he was not considered at high first round pick. Teams were waiting to see if he had enough speed and quickness to switch to LB.

I don't want to really get into a battle of each player with you, but I just feel that players from small schools and players that are either between positions or projected to switch positions routinely fly up draft boards after the workouts. It's not always a bad thing. Part of football is having the measurables to play a position.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
If this is true then it may actually be a good thing. If we go LB in the first and then Allen is their in the second or third we could take him and their would be less risk attached.....

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
playit12 said:
Well yeah... I'm sure after players rise and fall post combine they generally are taken where they are projected. But before the combine he was not considered at high first round pick. Teams were waiting to see if he had enough speed and quickness to switch to LB.

I don't want to really get into a battle of each player with you, but I just feel that players from small schools and players that are either between positions or projected to switch positions routinely fly up draft boards after the workouts. It's not always a bad thing. Part of football is having the measurables to play a position.

Oh I'm not arguing... but I follow the draft and I knew Ware's name from his junior year...

I never saw anything showing he would go later than early second and that was before teams really watched film on him...

My point was that Whitner is just now being a name that is moving up the charts two weeks before the draft...

He plays for a premiere college program in The Ohio State University, so it's not like teams have missed out on footage of his college career... that's all...

playit12

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Oh I'm not arguing... but I follow the draft and I knew Ware's name from his junior year...

I never saw anything showing he would go later than early second and that was before teams really watched film on him...

My point was that Whitner is just now being a name that is moving up the charts two weeks before the draft...

He plays for a premiere college program in The Ohio State University, so it's not like teams have missed out on footage of his college career... that's all...

Well that sounds more reasonable. I wasn't really saying that you were right or wrong about most players that move up late, just that it seemed a little funny in the way you wrote it, "projected in the end".