Jason Campbell

jesusphreak

Reaction score
Commanders fans just seem to go nuts over this guy, but I must say that he hasn't done anything to impress me. I'm not just saying that because I'm a Cowboys fan, I'm saying that because he has mediocre numbers and the Commanders offense has struggled quite a bit this year.

Have you guys seen anything to make you think that Campbell is a guy that will play for decent amount of time in this league, or is he just an average player?

Reaction score
He doesn't look as lost as Patrick Ramsey did.
I think he actually looks quite composed given the predictability of that plodding 700 page offense.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
He's calm and cool just like Sean King but maybe too calm and cool. The guy has the physical tools but I don't see the emotion, passion and intangibles that you'd like to see from a franchise QB. This could be attributed to his lack of experience and Gibbs reeling him in a bit, but the guy just doesn't have that "it" if you ask me.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
He needs some work on his accuracy, ability to read the defense, decisiveness, and leadership. He hasn't done much to date to be impressed with, but that doesn't mean he can't be better, only time will tell.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Campbell is what he is, an average QB. That is all he will ever be. He will never be an elite QB, he never has been at any level. He has a very big arm and can throw a very nice deep pass, mostly incomplete, but it looks good in flight. He has always struggled with reading coverages and making the right decision on a consistant basis. He was giving a pass in college because he had 4 OC's in his 4 yrs at Auburn. He was also protected by one of the best running games and OL's in college football. He was at best a 3rd talent and that will never change.

FCBarca

Reaction score
As hard as it is to compliment a Skin player, I like Campbell...He looks like he has the early makings of a decent starting QB, IMHO...He's got some mobility, can throw a nice ball and has shown some poise in the pocket...Not sure what skin fans think of him but let's face it, he hasn't been blessed with either healthy weapons or a creative playbook (Things that are simply not his fault and things that will make it harder to judge him).

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jesusphreak;1769677 said:
Commanders fans just seem to go nuts over this guy, but I must say that he hasn't done anything to impress me. I'm not just saying that because I'm a Cowboys fan, I'm saying that because he has mediocre numbers and the Commanders offense has struggled quite a bit this year.

Have you guys seen anything to make you think that Campbell is a guy that will play for decent amount of time in this league, or is he just an average player?
Personally, I really like the kid. I think they way overpaid for him. There was no need to move into the 1st round to take him. Too high a price for a player with question marks.

He's fairly mobile, but doesn't have the 6th sense that someone is coming. Holds the ball in a way that he can be stripped. Is much better at checkdowns than primary reads. I think he's a bit afraid of primary reads because of INTs last year. That can be a mental roadblock.

Has a nice arm with decent touch on the ball. Needs work on his accuracy though, especially if he is moving. He tends to sail the ball high when he's going forward and throws it into the ground when going back.

Seems like a good kid with a future in this league. I don't know if he will ever be an elite QB, but I do think he can be valuable to them.

BigD

Got 5? We do!
Reaction score
THEHEREAFTER;1769702 said:
He's calm and cool just like Sean King but maybe too calm and cool. The guy has the physical tool but I don't see the emotion, passion and intangibles that you'd like to see from a franchise QB. This could be attributed to his lack of experience and Gibbs reeling him in a bit, but the guy just doesn't have that "it" if you ask me.

Totally agree. Living here in enemy territory I obviously see him alot. He's seems so matter-of-fact and his personality resembles a rock. Definitely doesn't seem to be a guy who can lead troops into battle in my opinion. Sure he has a great arm but so did Jeff George.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score

Honestly, I don't think he'll ever be anything more than maybe a Dilfer, if things do work out. If they don't then he'll be like Grossman or Boller.

The Skins fans are on him so hard and look for anything he does right, because their whole franchise is tied to the guy. They gave up a lot and if he's a bust they'll be set back in their development as a team quite a bit.

In other words... It's vital to them that he does well. So, like golfers who hit one decent shot out of ten... they go nuts when the guy throws a decent pass. When he actually has a decent game like last week, they're proclaiming his as the next great one.

Honestly, I remember watching Quincy and doing the same thing. He'd make a nice pass or a good scramble and I'd be thinking he's finally turning a corner and going to be a huge weapon for us. It's the same thing with Skins fans right now.

They'll see the light by sometime next year. Even if he does make it, he'll never be a franchise guy like they want.

$0.02

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
BigD;1769708 said:
Totally agree. Living here in enemy territory I obviously see him alot. He's seems so matter-of-fact and his personality resembles a rock. Definitely doesn't seem to be a guy who can lead troops into battle in my opinion. Sure he has a great arm but so did Jeff George.

Yeah... they call that "poise". :laugh2:

I swear, if I have to hear one more skins fan tell me he has poise because he looks like a deer in headlights, I'm going to scream.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Hostile;1769707 said:
Personally, I really like the kid. I think they way overpaid for him. There was no need to move into the 1st round to take him. Too high a price for a player with question marks.

He's fairly mobile, but doesn't have the 6th sense that someone is coming. Holds the ball in a way that he can be stripped. Is much better at checkdowns than primary reads. I think he's a bit afraid of primary reads because of INTs last year. That can be a mental roadblock.

Has a nice arm with decent touch on the ball. Needs work on his accuracy though, especially if he is moving. He tends to sail the ball high when he's going forward and throws it into the ground when going back.

Seems like a good kid with a future in this league. I don't know if he will ever be an elite QB, but I do think he can be valuable to them.

That's a pretty accurate assessment, Hos. His OL has been devastated this year which has to have hindered his development somewhat.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
Skins fans wouldn't know their *** from a hole in the ground.

These are the same morons who think Brandon Lloyd is a "beast."

They are idiots, plain and simple.

They drool over JC for 3 reasons: (1) they are insanely jealous of Romo and want to pretend like they have a franchise qb like Romo; (2) they have never had a good qb and are so desperate for one that they wrongly assume that JC looks like one; and (3) they don't jack crap about evaluating players.

Pathetic franchises breed pathetic fans.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
Alot of average guys play a while in the NFL.

Remeber all the HUTCH supporters here and elsewhere? then came the DREW HENSON homers here back in the day who were certain JJ/Tuna had a conspiracy to keep Henson locked up longer (not escalating his clauses)? Clamoring for the next coming of Troy.

The ones who wondered why Romo was on the team because he was italian or why we wasted a pick on him (ignoring the fact he was a undrafed FA)?

These types of fans are on all teams, they always make themselves heard... Campbell is their rally-cry of the moment

J.A.G. never seemed more appropriate

(now if he lights it up in DAL with a victory i'll post back and eat my words)

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Cowboy4ever;1769704 said:
He has a very big arm and can throw a very nice deep pass, mostly incomplete, but it looks good in flight.

:lmao: I cracked up when I read this.

Nav22

Reaction score
I haven't seen a whole lot of Jason Campbell, being that he has yet to face the Cowboys. But he does seem a little overhyped so far. The numbers just don't show him as being a "good QB" yet. He seems pretty average.

Over the years, I've developed a healthy distaste for the division's other QBs, Donovan McNabb and Eli Manning. Something tells me I'll dislike Campbell quite a bit more after Sunday.

kevin11

Reaction score
Hostile;1769707 said:

Hostile, even know your a boys fan, you seem to know your football. :eek: A cowboy fan that can think. :lmao: Just kidding around.

I mostly agree with what your saying. His accuracy has improved from last year, though. 53% to 58 or 59% is improving pretty well, IMO. Yes, Campbell is not putting up romo numbers, but who actually does?

Aikman, Peyton and others start out slow and end up becoming HOF guys.

Campbell will be a decent, good QB in the league for a while.

firehawk350

Reaction score
Hostile;1769707 said:

Par for the course.

Hostile;1769707 said:

I disagree, he seems to be decently intuitive on feeling the pressure but I think he has a problem with making plays once he is on the move. He can usually run relatively well, but seems to have problems reading the field when he's on the move.

I think his checkdown-ness is a direct result of Gibbs. Gibbs has allowed for no murkiness over turning the ball over. I know that's what Gibbs wants, but when Campbell was given free reins on the offense (last week it seems to be the first time he was given this, running no-huddles and calling plays at the LOS), he looked much more effective.

A problem I noticed is he tends to find a single guy to go to and then consistently feeds him the ball. That guy is usually never the same from one week (or even half) to another, but I'd like to see more distribution, as opposed to 2 straight passes to Cooley, then a pass to El, then 2 passes to Cooley...

Hostile;1769707 said:

I haven't noticed that personally, but I'll keep an eye on it. His deep balls (as pointed out a thousand times before) are too flat though. Once he develops chemistry with Moss and learns to put a little air under it, he's looking like a completely different QB.

Hostile;1769707 said:

Take it for what it's worth, but he compares favorably (in his first 16 games) to Alex Smith, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler and Eli Manning. He's not an immediate success a la Romo or Anderson but he can develop into a solid QB.

Also, based on the scheme we are running now, we aren't looking for a great QB (assuming with stick with the Saunders scheme for a while). Trent Green was never a spectacular QB, just a very solid one. We run a scheme that (when we actually decide to run it) doesn't require a 350 yard game from a QB to work well.