Jason Campbell

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
bjay1121;1776594 said:
JC picked us apart. Anyone have a different opinion now?
Just in terms of yardage only. Two TD passes were pretty decent but YPA wasn't all that impressive. I'd take Romo's 4 TD pass and less yards anyday over Campbells lot of yards with 54 attempts, also his INT in 4th quarter was, well, not too impressive.

I'm still not sold on he'll be an elite QB in the future. This was first time that he has thrown for 300 yards but it took him 54 attempts at it, Romo threw 32 times and he was only seven yards shy of 300 yards. Let's see how often he put up this type of yardage, with less attempts and lead the team to win in 4th quarter, especially against good defensive teams.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
He's young, has some skills. I'm guessing that is why he is in the NFL. He is now ranked 20th among 32 NFL qb's according to NFL stats. Good for him. I guess we also should praise these guys too, who are ahead of him as of now. Guys like Harrington, Chad Pennington, etc.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1770580 said:
This thread reminds me of fishing.

Some of us spent time selecting bait, patiently set the hook with the drag loose so we'd have a little fight before we boated them.........then 'Bear rolls out of bed, finally meets up with us and tosses a stick of dynamite in the water. He scoops his fish up with a net then saunters home.

Hey, it seemed a lot easier... I'm not here for the sport, I'm here to get FED... :D

bjay1121

Reaction score
cobra;1776675 said:
That was definitely his best game of his career. But despite it being his best game, I still didn't come away with my shoes knocked off.

They ran a fairly simplistic passing game which our defense just got abused with.

On the big pass plays, Campbell missed his throws. He had Cooley deep for an easy TD and made a poor throw--Romo nails that for a TD.

So, yeah. He threw it 50 times on short ins and outs. Got a lot of yards. But still didn't get many TDs and didn't make any big plays.

I just don't see anything special with him. He doesn't wow me. Patrick Ramsey had games like that for Washington and now he is riding the bench in Denver.

I saw Aaron Brooks have games like that, and he can't sniff the field in Oakland. Remember the games Culpepper used to have? Look at him now. I remember seeing Jake Plummer have better games, and he never amounted to crap.

In other words: JC has the physical skills to be a good QB, but it takes a lot more than that to be a franchise QB.

Perhaps most of all, it takes the "it" factor to be a franchise QB. And JC certainly does NOT have the "it" factor.

Dallas' alltime best QB disagrees, and several former NFL QBs disagree as well, hmmm i wonder whose word i'm going to take

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
bjay1121;1776722 said:
Dallas' alltime best QB disagrees, and several former NFL QBs disagree as well, hmmm i wonder whose word i'm going to take

Why don't you go back to Extremeskins, troll?

First off, anyone who knows their arse from a hole in the ground knows that 'Dallas' alltime best QB' is Roger Staubach who didn't make any public comments.

Second, Aikman said he looked "nice" and was "impressed" with him. That's great and all. There are have been plenty of QBs that have looked impressive, including Patrick Ramsey.

Third, Aikman did not say that JC has "it"; primarily because JC does NOT have "it."

He's got the skills and the potential, but he has nothing special at all.

It's something that you have to learn to deal with as a Commanders fan: your franchise is inferior to us and your quarterback is inferior to our quarterback. So quit trying to convince otherwise. Those are the facts.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
bjay1121;1776722 said:
If we had praised Campbell as next great QB, would you have taken our words?

If only ex-QBs words are good to you, why bother asking question on here?

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
That's the life of a young qb. The 1st couple years in the league, they have some good games and the media/fans whomever think something is special about the guy. Same thing happened to Quincy Carter. No one here isn't saying Campbell doesn't have talent or skills, just he needs to show it week in and week out. At the end of the year, if he can get his passer rating to over 95%, then something definate can be said. Right now it's too early. He played decent yesterday, good for him.

bjay1121;1776722 said:

FCBarca

Reaction score
What's the fear here?...That somehow complimenting an opposing player is analogous to defeat?...Or is that some who slung so many criticisms on JC are suddenly incapable of admitting they overstated things (Gee, there's a first...Overly critical of an opponent??) or that they were wrong?

No one (Including myself) ever said JC was an elite QB or that he was amazing, just that he has looked good at times...That he shows promise...And moreover, that the Quincy Carter comparisons are ludicrous.

And all this spin after the fact that is YPA were not that impressive or that he had to throw it 54 times to get over 300 yards?...Ridiculous spin attempts (Sounds like a White House press briefing).

Consider this when overanalyzing his decent play yesterday...He threw a lot of dink and dunk because that was the game plan...The threw a lot of short passes because it was just that, part of the strategy to play ball control offense and keep Dallas' more potent offense off the field...Reduce possessions and put more pressure on each of Dallas' possessions on O...And it worked...Game could've been over late in the 3rd when the INT looked to be legit...And let's not forget, as well, that Dallas is weak in the secondary against the deep balls (Yes, I see you RW)...I'm sure the fact that Dallas' gameplan included not letting JC go deep to Moss as they did last season, as well...You can also factor in that having McCardell fill in for Thrash altered their game plan as well...Over analyzing the stats can lead you to believe a lot of things but it wouldn't tell you the whole story.

We also didn't see Dallas put enough pressure on Campbell either...He faced a pretty good pass rush but the gameplan called for him getting rid of the ball quickly in short dropbacks, which he did...And when given time, he did a nice job of finding some big gaps in the zone D.

And in the case of Campbell, let's just admit it...He looked good...He's not Romo good yet but he's not as horrible as he was being hyped last week leading up to the game...And being good doesn't mean he's elite or that he will be...It could mean that the rivalry will only mature into a stronger one (Let's face it, the Eagles and Giants aren't nearly as intense as before)...In fact, the visit to RFK is going to be a battle, I'm sure everyone would agree

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
FCBarca;1776877 said:
What's the fear here?

I doubt there is any fear at all. But one thing is certain: we don't judge a guy based on one game only.

If we are supposed to judge JC on only one game--his best one--then he gets a very good grade. But even on his best game, he wasn't special. He just dinked and dunked a pass-heavy game plan. But if you are suggesting we should crown him a success based on one game, then I guess I have to do so. He played a very good game.

But I prefer to look at the larger picture. Week-to-week this guy is inconsistent. He doesn't appear to have any fire or a special leadership quality. He chokes and misses easy throws. He stumbles when the game is on the line. He has really poor accuracy.

Now I suppose we could ignore all the previous games and think that he will continue to play like he did against us from now on. But I'm not that delusional.

I've watched every game that JC has played as a Commander. Watched him in preseason as well.

Here is what I can tell you: he has top-flight athletic ability for a QB. If you were going to design a QB, I'd want most of his physical skills and attributes: tall, rocket arm, some speed. But that isn't what goes into a great QB. You got to have the head for it; you got to have the special intangibles. He does not. Moreover, JC has below average accuracy and touch. He can make every throw, but he often makes the wrong throw or puts the ball in the wrong place. A lot of that is mechanics which can be fixed or improved upon. But the intangible "it" is either there from the beginning or not. It's not there with JC. I would also note that he seems to have average to below average pocket presence and agility. Those are also problems.

JC played a good game. He might be a nice player. But he isn't anything special when you look at the broader picture. And if you consider that the game we just saw is his best game by far--and we still didn't see anything special out of him--then you kind of know what you have: a middle of the pack, average QB with above average attributes.

I Bleed B&G

I Can't Stop the Bleeding
Reaction score
Cowboy4ever;1769704 said:
Campbell is what he is, an average QB. That is all he will ever be. He will never be an elite QB, he never has been at any level. He has a very big arm and can throw a very nice deep pass, mostly incomplete, but it looks good in flight. He has always struggled with reading coverages and making the right decision on a consistant basis. He was giving a pass in college because he had 4 OC's in his 4 yrs at Auburn. He was also protected by one of the best running games and OL's in college football. He was at best a 3rd talent and that will never change.

And you wonder why other NFL fans say the Cowboy fans are just plain stupid.

JC will become an elite NFL QB, no doubt about it. He has ALL the tools necessary to do so, and shows every week that he's coming along quite nicely. One thing I think Cowboy fans seem to forget, Romo has TO, JC has had Keenan, ARE, Lloyd, a hurt Moss, etc.

Dont be foolish Cowboys fans. Remove the homerisms from your vision and acknowledg the facts. JC will be a top NFL QB.

random Cs

Reaction score
Some valid points.

Though I have to think of QBs like Drew Brees, who couldn't have had less "it" in his first 2 seasons starting if he tried. Or Derek Anderson who is playing phenomenal football, yet Cleveland offense is finally clicking with Anderson at QB and after they signed Eric Steinbach and drafted Joe Thomas.

There are grey areas. I can feel the attitude pouring out of the keyboard from some of these posts, like some of you are flexing in the mirror while typing. I expect the Skins will use these last 6 games to let the offense run more through Campbell and we'll see if he can improve.

And that wasn't his best game, he put up stats because we threw the ball 54 times. He did played well on 3rd downs, and made some plays against your blitzes, but he made a poor decision with the game on the line. His game against Detroit was a much better performance; not a big stat day, but he was able to spread the defense and attack every part of the field and was excellent in the red zone.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
My opinion of Campbell's changed. I thought he was dumber than a box of rocks. Now I think he's dumber than a box of rocks and a truckful of shovels.

Great throws when the game was on the line. A legitimate NFL starter and Dallas would have been in trouble. Dink and dunk, dink and dunk, Dallas was giving it to him knowing that he couldn't beat them and guess what, he didn't.

silverbear

Reaction score
FCBarca;1776877 said:
What's the fear here?...That somehow complimenting an opposing player is analogous to defeat?...Or is that some who slung so many criticisms on JC are suddenly incapable of admitting they overstated things (Gee, there's a first...Overly critical of an opponent??) or that they were wrong?

None of the above... rather, the problem is some of you are getting too eager to get out the anointing oil... Campbell has had 2 nice ball games in a row now, but at the same time, he made critical mistakes at the end of both games, and his team lost both of them... much of that is on him...

It should also be noted that those two nice ball games came on the heels of four BAD ball games... this is the main point, that Campbell is up and down like a yo-yo... do these two most recent performances suddenly negate all the other bad games he's had??

No one (Including myself) ever said JC was an elite QB or that he was amazing, just that he has looked good at times...That he shows promise...And moreover, that the Quincy Carter comparisons are ludicrous.

Except they're not, indeed they're quite accurate... Quincy and Jason were both mobile quarterbacks who could hurt you with their legs... they both struggle(d) with accuracy issues... they both had good games, mixed in with bad games...

The biggest difference between the two is Quincy was always eager to take a shot downfield, while Jason is sticking to the short and intermediate stuff almost exclusively...

And all this spin after the fact that is YPA were not that impressive or that he had to throw it 54 times to get over 300 yards?...Ridiculous spin attempts (Sounds like a White House press briefing).

ANY starting NFL QB (and a few of the backups out there) could throw for 350 yards if you let him throw it 54 times... his YPA average was NOT impressive, in fact it was lower than his average on the season... his completion percentage wasn't all that hot either, not when he was throwing short as much as he did...

Consider this when overanalyzing his decent play yesterday...

"Decent"... OK, THAT'S a characterization I can accept...

He threw a lot of dink and dunk because that was the game plan...The threw a lot of short passes because it was just that, part of the strategy to play ball control offense and keep Dallas' more potent offense off the field...Reduce possessions and put more pressure on each of Dallas' possessions on O...

Time to take a closer look inside the numbers... up until the Boys went ahead 28-16 with a little less than 8 minutes to go, Campbell was 20 of 32 for 243 yards, 1 TD and 0 ints... he was having a VERY good game at that point, completing 62.5 per cent of his passes, averaging 7.6 yards per attempt... his quarterback rating was over 96 at that point...

Then the Cowboys went up by 12, and went to a "keep the ball in front of you" defensive scheme designed to let Campbell hit receivers short... and from that point forward, Jason went 13 of 22 for 105 yards, 1 TD and 1 int... that's 59 per cent completions, a laughable 4.8 yards per attempt, and a quarterback rating under 65...

With the game on the line, and a soft, semi-prevent defense to attack, Campbell was a feeble dink and dunker (11 of his 13 completions were for 10 yards or less, the long was 14 yards)... he played worse when the game was on the line, even when the situation was set up for him to succeed...

And in the case of Campbell, let's just admit it...He looked good...

No, he didn't... he looked good early, faded badly down the stretch...

In fact, the visit to RFK is going to be a battle, I'm sure everyone would agree

Unless the game doesn't mean anything to the Cowboys by that time...

silverbear

Reaction score
cobra;1776916 said:
I doubt there is any fear at all. But one thing is certain: we don't judge a guy based on one game only.

If we are supposed to judge JC on only one game--his best one--then he gets a very good grade. But even on his best game, he wasn't special. He just dinked and dunked a pass-heavy game plan. But if you are suggesting we should crown him a success based on one game, then I guess I have to do so. He played a very good game.

But I prefer to look at the larger picture. Week-to-week this guy is inconsistent. He doesn't appear to have any fire or a special leadership quality. He chokes and misses easy throws. He stumbles when the game is on the line. He has really poor accuracy.

Now I suppose we could ignore all the previous games and think that he will continue to play like he did against us from now on. But I'm not that delusional.

I've watched every game that JC has played as a Commander. Watched him in preseason as well.

Here is what I can tell you: he has top-flight athletic ability for a QB. If you were going to design a QB, I'd want most of his physical skills and attributes: tall, rocket arm, some speed. But that isn't what goes into a great QB. You got to have the head for it; you got to have the special intangibles. He does not. Moreover, JC has below average accuracy and touch. He can make every throw, but he often makes the wrong throw or puts the ball in the wrong place. A lot of that is mechanics which can be fixed or improved upon. But the intangible "it" is either there from the beginning or not. It's not there with JC. I would also note that he seems to have average to below average pocket presence and agility. Those are also problems.

JC played a good game. He might be a nice player. But he isn't anything special when you look at the broader picture. And if you consider that the game we just saw is his best game by far--and we still didn't see anything special out of him--then you kind of know what you have: a middle of the pack, average QB with above average attributes.

An EXCELLENT analysis, cobra... very well said...

silverbear

Reaction score
random Cs;1777149 said:
I expect the Skins will use these last 6 games to let the offense run more through Campbell and we'll see if he can improve.

That's exactly what they SHOULD do...

And that wasn't his best game, he put up stats because we threw the ball 54 times. He did played well on 3rd downs, and made some plays against your blitzes, but he made a poor decision with the game on the line. His game against Detroit was a much better performance; not a big stat day, but he was able to spread the defense and attack every part of the field and was excellent in the red zone.

I agree, the Detroit game was his best as a pro so far... I WAS impressed with him in that game...