Jason Campbell

redster

Reaction score
Actually, Joe Gibbs has repeatedly said that Jason Campbell's strength is his deep ball. That is a big lie. Joe Gibbs doesn't know what he's talking about. His deep ball is just totally inaccurate. I, however, firmly believe that, given his arm strength, he can definitely improve his deep ball accuracy. Where he seems to do better is when he throws short passes. Also, when he started the season, Campbell was highly inaccurate. It was about 50% in the beginning of the season. He has improved. His accuracy is close to 60% now. Campbell has looked solid this season. He has a long way to go before he becomes great, but he sure does look like a good QB. I am actually excited that he is our QB. Gibbs selected a good fella. The guy definitely is no Quincy Carter the druggie. He is a good character guy. In a few years, he's gonna be a top 5 quarterback, guaranteed.

FCBarca

Reaction score
I agree, it's a bit overlysimplistic to throw out the Quincy Carter comparisons...I haven't seen enough of JC but what I have seen of him, I've liked...I think the dreaded 'potential' word applies to him, just have to see what he does with it...They've invested in him pretty heavily so hopefully he'll get the opportunities to prove he is capable...A better O-Line, some healthy WRs and perhaps a playbook that isn't so predictable would help too.

Reaction score
i've watched every skins game and i've studied him pretty well...I couldn't agree more about the hype I hear from skin fans, but the blame has to be put on the offense as a whole. Campbell has a cannon, and his accuracy is decent, but as far as being poised, I don't think so, hes missed A LOT of open guys.

redster

Reaction score
chinch;1769799 said:
thanks for the laugh :lmao:

Well, you can laugh all you want, but Jason Campbell looks like he is going to be good. He also works real hard. Oh, and some of you need to stop comparing him to Quincy Carter just because he is black. Why must a black QB be compared to a black QB? A QB is a QB regardless of his skin color.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
redster;1769802 said:
Well, you can laugh all you want, but Jason Campbell looks like he is going to be good.
you said top 5.

now "it looks like is going to be good".

you're waffling like gibbs. :lmao:

redster;1769802 said:
Oh, and some of you need to stop comparing him to Quincy Carter just because he is black. Why must a black QB be compared to a black QB? A QB is a QB regardless of his skin color.
boo hoo. i compared him to a couple of white stiffs pretending to be QBs if that helps ;)

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
redster;1769802 said:
Well, you can laugh all you want, but Jason Campbell looks like he is going to be good. He also works real hard.

Right... it's only a matter of working hard, right?

Answer me this then: all off-season, all we heard out of Commanders camp was that JC was going to set the league on fire and improved dramatically. Players and coaches just went on about how hard JC worked and watched film and improved his mechanics, blah, blah, blah. We were told how he will have a breakout year and be a star.

Yet when the season began, he is same spare QB he was last year.

Here is a free hint: if we haven't seen glimpses of a great QB yet--AND WE HAVEN'T--then it will never get no matter how hard he works.

Greatness doesn't hide that well.

The excuses ring hollow at this point: JC will never be a top 10 QB in this league, yet Washington invested in him like he would be.

Kilyin

Reaction score
redster;1769802 said:
Well, you can laugh all you want, but Jason Campbell looks like he is going to be good. He also works real hard. Oh, and some of you need to stop comparing him to Quincy Carter just because he is black. Why must a black QB be compared to a black QB? A QB is a QB regardless of his skin color.

It has nothing to do with race, so take your pity party back to ES where it belongs. Your QB sucks, and he'll never amount to anything more than a journeyman in the NFL. Deal with it, accept it, and move on.

Kilyin

Reaction score
firehawk350;1769755 said:
Take it for what it's worth, but he compares favorably (in his first 16 games) to Alex Smith, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler and Eli Manning. He's not an immediate success a la Romo or Anderson but he can develop into a solid QB.

Wait, aren't you the same guy that said Grossman had shown 'flashes of potential'? How's that working out? You realize Alex Smith currently is the worst QB in the NFL? Matt Leinart has done absolutely nothing this year except get outplayed by Kurt Warner and injured. Jay Cutler I suppose is serviceable. Eli Manning is the poster boy for inconsistency.

So yeah, go ahead and lump Campbell in there with that motley crew (wishful thinking at best), because in a few more years or less he'll be out of the league.

Stop blaming your 'scheme'... the Commanders are just garbage. They look lost and confused, and if they haven't absorbed that playbook yet, they never will.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Hostile;1769707 said:
Personally, I really like the kid. I think they way overpaid for him. There was no need to move into the 1st round to take him. Too high a price for a player with question marks.

He's fairly mobile, but doesn't have the 6th sense that someone is coming. Holds the ball in a way that he can be stripped. Is much better at checkdowns than primary reads. I think he's a bit afraid of primary reads because of INTs last year. That can be a mental roadblock.

Has a nice arm with decent touch on the ball. Needs work on his accuracy though, especially if he is moving. He tends to sail the ball high when he's going forward and throws it into the ground when going back.

Seems like a good kid with a future in this league. I don't know if he will ever be an elite QB, but I do think he can be valuable to them.

I would add that he throws his deep ball too flat. Not enough air under it. No rainbow to it. Its literally hit or miss with his WR's when he throws deep... no room for error

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kevin11;1769742 said:
Hostile, even know your a boys fan, you seem to know your football. :eek: A cowboy fan that can think. :lmao: Just kidding around.

I mostly agree with what your saying. His accuracy has improved from last year, though. 53% to 58 or 59% is improving pretty well, IMO. Yes, Campbell is not putting up romo numbers, but who actually does?

Aikman, Peyton and others start out slow and end up becoming HOF guys.

Campbell will be a decent, good QB in the league for a while.
He has improved except for going to the WRs in the hot zones. I think he got burned last year and is tentative this year. He has to overcome that before he can take a step up.

I think it's unwaise to mention him in the same vein as Aikman or Peyton. I don't really see him as a star QB, though I think he can definitely be a decent one. Those guys had star written all over them from the word go.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
YoMick;1769827 said:
I would add that he throws his deep ball too flat. Not enough air under it. No rainbow to it. Its literally hit or miss with his WR's when he throws deep... no room for error
I actually think that's a great thing. I do not like rainbows. They come floating down and allow the defense to close the gap.

kevin11

Reaction score
Hostile;1769829 said:
He has improved except for going to the WRs in the hot zones. I think he got burned last year and is tentative this year. He has to overcome that before he can take a step up.

I think it's unwaise to mention him in the same vein as Aikman or Peyton. I don't really see him as a star QB, though I think he can definitely be a decent one. Those guys had star written all over them from the word go.

wow, you miss read my post, pretty bad.

I mean that even the best of the best did not start throwing for 4,000 yards and making the probowl like a Tony romo.'

Hostile, explain Hot zones?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
firehawk350;1769755 said:
Par for the course.
Par that I like him? I don't like every QB, so not sure what you mean by par.

I disagree, he seems to be decently intuitive on feeling the pressure but I think he has a problem with making plays once he is on the move. He can usually run relatively well, but seems to have problems reading the field when he's on the move.
I disagree with this. I think he gets caught from behind far more than from a direct line to him.

I think his checkdown-ness is a direct result of Gibbs. Gibbs has allowed for no murkiness over turning the ball over. I know that's what Gibbs wants, but when Campbell was given free reins on the offense (last week it seems to be the first time he was given this, running no-huddles and calling plays at the LOS), he looked much more effective.
This is entirely possible. A coach can be the one calling tentative just as easily as a player can play that way. Regardless of the source, for him to take the next step he has to hit WRs in the hot zones. Too easy to defense someone who is 1 dimensional.

A problem I noticed is he tends to find a single guy to go to and then consistently feeds him the ball. That guy is usually never the same from one week (or even half) to another, but I'd like to see more distribution, as opposed to 2 straight passes to Cooley, then a pass to El, then 2 passes to Cooley...
All QBs do this to an extent. Where they get burned is if they miss open reads because of it.

I haven't noticed that personally, but I'll keep an eye on it. His deep balls (as pointed out a thousand times before) are too flat though. Once he develops chemistry with Moss and learns to put a little air under it, he's looking like a completely different QB.
I like the flatter deep balls as I stated before. If he develops chemistry. Sometimes guys just can't click.

Take it for what it's worth, but he compares favorably (in his first 16 games) to Alex Smith, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler and Eli Manning. He's not an immediate success a la Romo or Anderson but he can develop into a solid QB.

Also, based on the scheme we are running now, we aren't looking for a great QB (assuming with stick with the Saunders scheme for a while). Trent Green was never a spectacular QB, just a very solid one. We run a scheme that (when we actually decide to run it) doesn't require a 350 yard game from a QB to work well.
Which is pretty much what I said. He's a decent QB, but not an elite one. I do think Cutler can separate himself from that group. He has tools the others don't. Namely a go for it attitude and a gun to do it. The others all play vanilla.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kevin11;1769839 said:
wow, you miss read my post, pretty bad.

I mean that even the best of the best did not start throwing for 4,000 yards and making the probowl like a Tony romo.
Romo's an anamoly. It happens now and then, but you can't predict it. Brady and Warner are examples. But sometimes it's a combination of timing and place. I think Brady can play anywhere and be great. Not so sure Warner can claim that and it's too soon to say Romo could, though I like his intangibles.

redster

Reaction score
Jason Campbell has a slightly better QB rating than Eli Manning. Haven't heard many of you calling Eli Manning a bust. Did you all watch the Philadelphia game? Campbell played an almost flawless game. He looked good against Green Bay in the FIRST HALF, till our O-Line got banged up. In the second half, because the O-line couldn't stop the pass rush, Campbell struggled. Can't blame him for that. Green Bay's defense is ranked 3 in terms of points allowed. I would say that he needs to play better when the clock is down to 2 minutes. Also, he fumbles the ball a bit too much. It can easily be corrected. Versus New England, pressure was coming from the right, which is where our O-line is decimated.
We ran the no-huddle 3 times last week. We scored twice, and the third drive came to a halt because of the Betts fumble. The third drive looked like it was gonna be another touchdown until the fumble.

It is quite possible that he will struggle against Dallas because of the 3-4 defense. However, Dallas has a terrible secondary compared to New England. He's young and learning. He'll get better.

kevin11

Reaction score
Hostile;1769843 said:
Romo's an anamoly. It happens now and then, but you can't predict it. Brady and Warner are examples. But sometimes it's a combination of timing and place. I think Brady can play anywhere and be great. Not so sure Warner can claim that and it's too soon to say Romo could, though I like his intangibles.

At least you admit this.

Most fans would say all great QBs come out and play at a HOF lvl right from the get-go.

Maybe not most fans...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kevin11;1769851 said:
At least you admit this.

Most fans would say all great QBs come out and play at a HOF lvl right from the get-go.

Maybe not most fans...
Some can. Most can't. Very few just seem to turn on a switch one day and get it. It takes development.