Jason Campbell

juck

Reaction score
redster;1769802 said:
Well, you can laugh all you want, but Jason Campbell looks like he is going to be good. He also works real hard. Oh, and some of you need to stop comparing him to Quincy Carter just because he is black. Why must a black QB be compared to a black QB? A QB is a QB regardless of his skin color.

they both suck.there is no reason skin color should make a difference ur right.but,it certainly seems like it does thru history,i wonder why,seriously.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Wow, Campbell has thrown for 200 yards in five games out of nine, that is very impressive and certainly is in the making of a great QB. :lmao:

Shoot, Romo better get hot, otherwise he is going get left behind by the amazing 200 yard performances.

juck

Reaction score
sonnyboy;1769986 said:
You should stick to ES where you're safe from having your posts ripped to shreds as this is about to be.

Lets take a look at your list of mediocre QB's.

Trent Dilfer - made the Pro Bowl the year Ravens made thier run. Dilfer had a mediocre career, but there was nothing mediocre about him that season.

Kurt Warner - was the league MVP the year the Rams won.

Mark Rypien - Also a Pro Bowler. So so career, but his 1991 season was tremendous.

Ben Rothlesberger - yet another probowler and was outstanding in Pitts first three playoff games. His SB perfromance was weak. If Wash made a SB with Campbell they'd need more calls then Pit got that day.

Doug Williams - to be honest I dont remember his playoff run. But his SB performance was one of the best ever. Nothing mediocre about that.

You need to except the fact that Campbell will never be anything special. He'll never smell a SB. He'll show just enough to keep the job for one or two more years and waste precious time. You'll be starting over in 2009 or 2010.

Dont waste your time believing your team can win the SB with a below average QB. Been down that road before, its an excercise in futility.

wasnt doug williams the SB QB in the strike year?

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Come to think of it, Patrick Ramsey has thrown for couple of 300 games, more yards, and TDs in his first 16 start than Campbell.

First 16 games...

Ramsey

3,548 yards, 21 TDs, three 300 yard games, ten 200 yard games

Campbell

3,032 yards, 19 TDs, ZERO 300 yard games, eight 200 yard games

:laugh2:

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Hostile;1769707 said:
I think he's a bit afraid of primary reads because of INTs last year. That can be a mental roadblock.

Uhhhh, if he did one thing really well last year, it was NOT throwing ints (6 ints in 207 attempts)...

Has a nice arm with decent touch on the ball. Needs work on his accuracy though, especially if he is moving. He tends to sail the ball high when he's going forward and throws it into the ground when going back.

I think he's still way too slow working through his progressions, IOW I don't think he sees the field well...

But to be completely fair, he's working behind a very banged-up offensive line that isn't protecting him well at all, and his receivers aren't worth a hammered crap...

I don't know if he will ever be an elite QB, but I do think he can be valuable to them.

I think by the time the Skins ever get back to being a good team (if that ever happens), Campbell will be long gone... the way they're playing now, when he hits free agency, I don't think the Skins will fight too hard to keep him...

I'm not really impressed with the way he's played thus far in his career; bottom line, after 16 games as a starter his quarterback rating stands at 78.4, and the Skins are averaging a robust 181 net yards per game passing... the former stat would rank him 23rd in the NFL this year, the latter would rank him 28th...

That won't cut it...

silverbear

Reaction score
kevin11;1769742 said:
Hostile, even know your a boys fan, you seem to know your football. :eek: A cowboy fan that can think. :lmao: Just kidding around.

I mostly agree with what your saying. His accuracy has improved from last year, though. 53% to 58 or 59% is improving pretty well, IMO.

That completion percentage is LOUSY, for a quarterback who relies as heavily on the short passing game as he does... 9 fumbles in 9 games this year, losing 5 of them, is pretty bad too...

Yes, Campbell is not putting up romo numbers, but who actually does?

Forget "Romo numbers", at this point there are 20, maybe 25 quarterbacks in the league putting up better numbers than Jason is... which is why the Skins rank 24th in passing offense, at 183.8 yards per game...

Campbell will be a decent, good QB in the league for a while.

I know you HOPE that's the case, but at this point HOPE is all you have...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
THEHEREAFTER;1769702 said:
He's calm and cool just like Sean King but maybe too calm and cool. The guy has the physical tools but I don't see the emotion, passion and intangibles that you'd like to see from a franchise QB. This could be attributed to his lack of experience and Gibbs reeling him in a bit, but the guy just doesn't have that "it" if you ask me.

Cowboy4ever;1769704 said:
Campbell is what he is, an average QB. That is all he will ever be. He will never be an elite QB, he never has been at any level. He has a very big arm and can throw a very nice deep pass, mostly incomplete, but it looks good in flight. He has always struggled with reading coverages and making the right decision on a consistant basis. He was giving a pass in college because he had 4 OC's in his 4 yrs at Auburn. He was also protected by one of the best running games and OL's in college football. He was at best a 3rd talent and that will never change.

these are the most interesting parallels to Quincy Carter, the guy seemed to lack any emotion whatsoever, even seemed to be lackadaisal in his approach like he didn't give a **** whether he ran a successful play or not, Quincy also went through 3 offensive systems in his 3 years at Georgia, plus the different offensive systems every year, in his 3 years w/ the 'boys

the fact that both wear/wore #17 doesn't help in dispelling the comparisons

edit: both can hit the deep passes, but are miserable in the short-to-intermediate game, another parallel

silverbear

Reaction score
firehawk350;1769755 said:
I disagree, he seems to be decently intuitive on feeling the pressure

9 fumbles in 9 games would seen to dispute that opinion...

I think his checkdown-ness is a direct result of Gibbs. Gibbs has allowed for no murkiness over turning the ball over. I know that's what Gibbs wants, but when Campbell was given free reins on the offense (last week it seems to be the first time he was given this, running no-huddles and calling plays at the LOS), he looked much more effective.

And yet, the Skins only gained 203 net yards passing, only averaged 5.8 yards per attempt... the latter is a good deal lower than their season average of 6.6 yards per attempt, which is itself not very good (it ranks them tied for 20th in that stat)...

I haven't noticed that personally, but I'll keep an eye on it. His deep balls (as pointed out a thousand times before) are too flat though. Once he develops chemistry with Moss and learns to put a little air under it, he's looking like a completely different QB.

And how's he supposed to throw the deep ball, when his offensive line can't protect for him??

Take it for what it's worth, but he compares favorably (in his first 16 games) to Alex Smith, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler and Eli Manning. He's not an immediate success a la Romo or Anderson but he can develop into a solid QB.

Again, that's just HOPE, unsupported by anything factual, talking...

We run a scheme that (when we actually decide to run it) doesn't require a 350 yard game from a QB to work well.

But you have a QB who's 50-50 to throw for 200... 16 games started, 8 games of 200 yards passing or more... in today's NFL, you're not gonna win much with that little production...

silverbear

Reaction score
FCBarca;1769793 said:
I agree, it's a bit overlysimplistic to throw out the Quincy Carter comparisons...I haven't seen enough of JC but what I have seen of him, I've liked...I think the dreaded 'potential' word applies to him, just have to see what he does with it...They've invested in him pretty heavily so hopefully he'll get the opportunities to prove he is capable...A better O-Line, some healthy WRs and perhaps a playbook that isn't so predictable would help too.

Al Saunders' legendary 700 page playbook is quite versatile, quite diverse... the problem now is that Campbell can't effectively run about 600 pages plus of that playbook...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
firehawk350;1769755 said:
I think his checkdown-ness is a direct result of Gibbs. Gibbs has allowed for no murkiness over turning the ball over. I know that's what Gibbs wants, but when Campbell was given free reins on the offense (last week it seems to be the first time he was given this, running no-huddles and calling plays at the LOS), he looked much more effective.

oh c'mon, Bill Parcells was just as big on not committing turnovers as Gibbs is, and was constantly trying to hammer that aspect into Romo, yet Romo only started looking to his checkdowns this year

and is still finding his 1st, 2nd and 3rd reads for big plays

silverbear

Reaction score
redster;1769802 said:
Well, you can laugh all you want, but Jason Campbell looks like he is going to be good.

Exactly what do you base that claim on?? It seems to be the mantra of Skins fans everywhere-- "Campbell's gonna be good", but I can't for the life of me figure out what makes them say that...

And I have seen every game Campbell has played... so I ask you straight up, why do you think Jason Campbell is "going to be good"??

He also works real hard.

I'm sure he does... unfortunately, there are a lot of guys who worked hard while they were in the NFL, and still never quite made it...

Oh, and some of you need to stop comparing him to Quincy Carter just because he is black.

The comparisons go beyond that, their playing styles are rather similar too... both struggle(d) with their accuracy, both were pretty mobile eluding the rush... both were up and down like yo-yos in their time as starter, following up good efforts with bad ones... if you can think of any white quarterbacks who share those traits, by all means bring them into the discussion...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
kevin11;1769948 said:
okay, Your right. No average QB has ever won the superbowl?

Trent Dilfer, Kurt WArner, Big Ben, Doug WIlliams, and Mark Rypien are all great. They are elite. :lmao2:

It takes a good team to win the superbowl, not a good QB.

I dont expect us to be in the superbowl, soon. Campbell probably wont see it. But, he is already turning into a decent QB.

so you're admitting that Campbell probably isn't going to turn out all that great

cool

silverbear

Reaction score
redster;1769850 said:
Jason Campbell has a slightly better QB rating than Eli Manning. Haven't heard many of you calling Eli Manning a bust.

Go hang out on some Giants' message boards, you'll find a lot of them doing exactly that... with 4 years in the league and 50 starts, I'll be quite happy to tell you that Manning's 74.2 quarterback rating, with no season as high as an 80 rating, by a quarterback drafted as early as Eli was, does indeed qualify that player for "bust" status...

Did you all watch the Philadelphia game? Campbell played an almost flawless game.

And wound up with 203 net yards passing, a 5.8 yards per attempt average...

WOW, somebody call up Canton, get them started on Jason's bust right away...

That's one game, anyway, and you should refer back to what happened earlier in the season when he had a game considerably better than that effort against the Iggles... against Detroit, he put up a quarterback rating of 125.3, won the NFC Offensive Player of the Week, and we heard from all you Skins fans about how he'd "arrived"...

Then in the next 4 games, he regressed BADLY, going 66 for 114 (57.9 per cent), for 651 yards (162.8 yards per game, 5.7 yards per attempt), with 2 TDs and 4 ints... this resulted in a quarterback rating of 65.4 for those 4 games...

So, he had one good game, followed by four bad ones, followed by one mediocre at best effort, and you're in here talking like he's progressing nicely... when the truth is, he's up and down like your average everyday yo-yo...

We ran the no-huddle 3 times last week. We scored twice, and the third drive came to a halt because of the Betts fumble. The third drive looked like it was gonna be another touchdown until the fumble.

You do know the Iggles' pass defense is quite putrid, don't you?? The 203 yards y'all gained against them is actually nearly 20 yards LESS than what they've allowed on average this season... they rank 23rd, at 222.1 yards per game... they rank tied for 24th in yards per attempt allowed, at 7.5, but the Skins only gained 5.8 yards per attempt...

All of a sudden, your passing numbers against that Iggles' secondary doesn't look so good, does it?? The Cowboys lit up that secondary for 324 net yards, on just 25 passes, and you guys could only get 203 in 35 attempts??

However, Dallas has a terrible secondary compared to New England.

Yeah, they're MUCH worse than the Pats' secondary:

Completion percentage allowed-- Boys 59.1, Pats 59.7... oops...

Yards per attempt allowed-- Boys 6.4, Pats 6.4... double oops...

Completion of passes for first down allowed-- Boys 32.8%, Pats 32.8%... triple oops...

Interceptions-- Cowboys 14, Pats 12... quadruple oops...

Quarterback rating allowed-- Cowboys 73.5, Pats 73.9... quintuple oops...

Now, there are pass defense stats where the Pats lead the Cowboys, the biggie being yards per game allowed... but clearly, the stats show two strikingly similar pass defenses; for sure, they do NOT show that the Cowboys' secondary is "terrible" compared to the Pats'...

In here, you are well advised to check the facts before running off at the mouth, unless you enjoy being made to look foolish...

silverbear

Reaction score
kevin11;1769910 said:
okay. He has a 59.8 QB Completetion. Romo has a 65%....5 numbers better.

Next, look at the two QBs yards per attempt average... Romo's is 8.8 this year, Campbell's is 6.6... this means that Tony's looking downfield more than Jason is, and short passers are supposed to complete a higher percentage of their passes than the "mad bomber" types do... but Romo's the "mad bomber" in this scenario, and Campbell's the short passing game type, yet Romo's completion percentage is considerably higher...

See what happens when you consider ALL the factors when looking at the stats??

Maybe, you should actually watch a skins game and then talk. K, thank you.

I've seen every game Campbell has played...

silverbear

Reaction score
gbrittain;1769923 said:
In fairness Campbell's completion rate percentage is among the worst of all starting QBs. I am not making that up it is just a fact.

Among QBs with at least 80 attempts, Campbell ranks 26th in completion percentage... there are 25 starting QBs in the league who have completed over 60 per cent of their passes, clearly that stat is not some standard of excellence, or even a standard of mediocrity (62.5 per cent would rank you 16th in the league, even Romo's 65.1 is only 10th best in the league)...

silverbear

Reaction score
kevin11;1769933 said:
WHy we like him is because he gets better.

Except he DOESN'T get better... after his biggest game ever against the Lions, he had four LOUSY games...

We dont throow for more than 30 passes/game.

Because Gibbs has no confidence in his quarterback... which begs the question, why do you Skins fans have confidence that your own head coach clearly lacks??

The answer, it would appear, is pure wishful thinking on the part of you fans... yes, your OL and WRs are piss-poor, but by the time y'all get those problems sorted out, Campbell will be playing for another team...

silverbear

Reaction score
bigbadroy;1769941 said:
i hope you don't plan on winning a superbowl anytime soon than. campell is average at best.

Campbell has a steep road to climb to get to "average"...