Twitter: Jason Garrett a finalist for Stanford job

Sydla

Reaction score
Garrett is total and utter garbage

They might be desperate. That program is in deep do do. Recruiting has been so-so and they are staring at a situation where they may have guys entering the portal and basically a total overhaul from the ground up. Garrett might be the best they can do.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Define "a long time." They did go 9-4 in 2018 and 5-2 in the aborted Covid season. They've been down the last couple of years but overall under Shaw they were pretty good and they were borderline national contenders under Harbaugh before him. As for their future Emmitt's son was looking like a stud before he got hurt this year. Whoever they hire will be getting a pretty good running game at the very least.
2 years. Like u said. I liked Shaw and they haven't won a NCAA Championship in a very long time. Thats more what I mean. I think Garrett might at least make them relevant, even if for a short time. I am not a JG guy. Just to be clear. But I see a fit here. Just the fact he can hang his hat on being a former Dallas HC may make a big difference when recruiting in a highly competitive conference. Shaw will be missed. The players loved him. Can't wait 2 see Emmitt's kid run the ball. Btw, I wonder if Shaw is drawing interest from NFL teams? I think a team like the panthers might be great for him. Maybe even Denver, if they move on from Hacket. He's been trash. Can't help but wonder if the Texans might call him and kick the tires. He can build that program the way he wants, from the ground up.

Rayman70

Reaction score
They might be desperate. That program is in deep do do. Recruiting has been so-so and they are staring at a situation where they may have guys entering the portal and basically a total overhaul from the ground up. Garrett might be the best they can do.
great take. I agree.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he's a decent College coach.

If you can recruit, use the portal and deploy NIL money you can be a great coach in college. Can he do those things? Possibly. Stanford could be a good prove it step for him. Stanford is in a similar situation to Colorado right now, really nothing to lose.

I don't think he could ever get them competing for a slot in an even expanded CFP, but if he can start getting them in the top 25 he could get the interest of the blue bloods.

I wish him luck. No ill will, he just wasn't a good NFL coach.

Praxit

Reaction score
..hey college might work best for him. NFL didnt fit his jig.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
He may do a good job. It was a massive mistake taking the Giant's job, which basically ended his chances in the NFL.

stinkface

Reaction score
Wonder if Stanford will tell him no spitting on the field as a condition of employment? PS. I think he would do a crappy job at recruiting good talent. Just clapping in a prospects living room, won't cut it.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Probably be fine he is tailor made for that job....never again does he need to coach grown men that get paid heavty bundles....OOh wait.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Stanford is a very tough school to gain enrollment. Kids with 4.0 GPA are turned away.

If they hire Garrett, then they may not be as sharp as one might suspect.

Just imagine the conversation.

Coach: Time to go out and recruit.
Garrett: We like our guys.
Coach: But those guys graduated. We need new guys.
Garrett: I looked over the prospects, and none of them seem to be the right kind of guys. We'll wait until next year and take another run at this.

quickccc

Reaction score
Not surprising... Red G is quite a slick tongue talking salesman .. he can really market and shoe-shine his pitch sale.

How do you think he placed his HC stamp and totally bamboozling this team for amazing entire decade ?
:angry:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Stanford is a very tough school to gain enrollment. Kids with 4.0 GPA are turned away.

If they hire Garrett, then they may not be as sharp as one might suspect.

Just imagine the conversation.

Coach: Time to go out and recruit.
Garrett: We like our guys.
Coach: But those guys graduated. We need new guys.
Garrett: I looked over the prospects, and none of them seem to be the right kind of guys. We'll wait until next year and take another run at this.

Well done.

ghst187

Reaction score
I think he could do well in college. Especially for a place like Stanford who has expectations but not National Championship or bust.
His shtick won't get stale when kids will only stay for 4 years.

I don’t think he will do that well, he needs 11 NFL Probowlers on both sides of the ball to win. He’s not innovative and definitely can’t win without far superior talent. One injury and he’s completely lost. He needs Alabama talent to win at the college level.