Jason Garrett Contract Extention

nobody

Reaction score
You mean the offense Garrett controlled with its 19 TOs in seven games was his fault? How is that a team quitting on a coach and not simply a floundering OC who was getting worse and worse every year?

Getting blown out by the garbage Bears and getting destroyed by the Saints in 2012 wasn’t quitting on Garrett? The 2015 wasn’t quitting on Garrett? This 3-6 season before Jones went and got Cooper wasn’t quitting on Garrett..

I never said Garrett was a good coach. Not sure why you're going there. Are you related to Wade or something? He SUCKED as a HC for multiple teams. He couldn't get it done. Game over. Now as a Defensive coordinator, you'd be hard pressed to find a coach who could run a better 3-4.

khiladi

Reaction score
I never said Garrett was a good coach. Not sure why you're going there. Are you related to Wade or something? He SUCKED as a HC for multiple teams. He couldn't get it done. Game over. Now as a Defensive coordinator, you'd be hard pressed to find a coach who could run a better 3-4.

How did he such for other teams when he posted winning records with them? What qualifies as suck? The Music City Miracle? How does three out of four winning seasons here and two playoff births qualify as sucking here?

nobody

Reaction score
How did he such for other teams when he posted winning records with them?

How many conference championships did his teams make it to? How many did his teams win? I'll wait while you look it up. Regular season success is great and all, but his post-season success as a HC? How is that? I don't care about Regular season champs. It's about getting to and succeeding in the playoffs. No participation trophies. No consolation cupcakes. Win or go home.

khiladi

Reaction score
How many conference championships did his teams make it to? How many did his teams win? I'll wait while you look it up. Regular season success is great and all, but his post-season success as a HC? How is that? I don't care about Regular season champs. It's about getting to and succeeding in the playoffs. No participation trophies. No consolation cupcakes. Win or go home.

What part of winning our first playoff game here don’t you understand and two division titles? Your original argument is you claim he won with Parcells team trying to discredit his record here. That would imply you actually believed he was the man, but it was all because of Parcells ‘work’.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
No they dont, check Antonio Brown, check the skins. Your hatin *** wouldn't know the difference
So you are saying we have attitude problems on this roster but that they decide to go the straight and narrow because of Garrett's leadership?

Give me a break.

khiladi

Reaction score
So you are saying we have attitude problems on this roster but that they decide to go the straight and narrow because of Garrett's leadership?

Give me a break.

It’s because he benched Barber a series for not wearing a tie... players always shaking in their boots ever since..

Section446

Reaction score
Four words I hate to see, but this season earned him a few more years.

Gaede

Reaction score
He's definitely not THE problem with this team. He's clearly a good coach and this team is almost always in the game.

My biggest gripe is aggressiveness. He seems to play not to lose. However this year has been much different in that regard

nobody

Reaction score
What part of winning our first playoff game here don’t you understand and two division titles? Your original argument is you claim he won with Parcells team trying to discredit his record here. That would imply you actually believed he was the man, but it was all because of Parcells ‘work’.

Again, as a HC, what's Wade's post-season record? Here, since you're avoiding it, I'll tell you. 1 playoff win in 6 tries as a head coach. That's in 9 seasons as a Head coach and 3 interim head coaching seasons. I'm sorry, he's a failure as a HC. It's right there. The NFL is about playing for the championship, not flubbing it in the playoffs.

The offense that Parcells built was a huge component for the success of the Cowboys in Wade's time. Did he do well with the defense? He inexplicably fired a really good coordinator and switched the team from 4-3 to 3-4. He started the process of building that 3-4 and quit before it was finished, so yeah, Wade had a LOT to work with. Garrett was handed a really good offense and other than his first season, messed it up, but a lot of that was due to the front office letting the lines deteriorate. The lines also didn't play play-off caliber play in the playoffs and got beat hard.

All that being said, Wade was a decent regular season HC, but his teams collapsed in the playoffs...time and again, and not just with the Cowboys. He's a failed HC. It's that simple.

Tommy

Reaction score
How did he such for other teams when he posted winning records with them? What qualifies as suck? The Music City Miracle? How does three out of four winning seasons here and two playoff births qualify as sucking here?
Wade was fired at mid-season after going 1-7.

He lost his last five games in a row with his defense giving up an average of 36 points per game. That wasn't Garrett's fault.

His team quit. Wade was fired as he should have been. Give it a rest.

khiladi

Reaction score
Again, as a HC, what's Wade's post-season record? Here, since you're avoiding it, I'll tell you. 1 playoff win in 6 tries as a head coach. That's in 9 seasons as a Head coach and 3 interim head coaching seasons. I'm sorry, he's a failure as a HC. It's right there. The NFL is about playing for the championship, not flubbing it in the playoffs.

The offense that Parcells built was a huge component for the success of the Cowboys in Wade's time. Did he do well with the defense? He inexplicably fired a really good coordinator and switched the team from 4-3 to 3-4. He started the process of building that 3-4 and quit before it was finished, so yeah, Wade had a LOT to work with. Garrett was handed a really good offense and other than his first season, messed it up, but a lot of that was due to the front office letting the lines deteriorate. The lines also didn't play play-off caliber play in the playoffs and got beat hard.

All that being said, Wade was a decent regular season HC, but his teams collapsed in the playoffs...time and again, and not just with the Cowboys. He's a failed HC. It's that simple.

Wade Phillips has an 82-64 coaching record, te majority of his losses coming when he was thrust in the Interim Head Coaching spot mid-season and with garbage QBs like Matt Schaub who was throwing pick 6s at a record rate.

So did Shanahan win the SB with Wade’s team?

Again, Wade won a playoff game the year before he was fired, the first time in seventeen years, after three seasons with the Cowboys and being hamstrung by Garrett. How is that sucking?

Proof

Reaction score
Garrett has earned an extension. Taking a 3-5 team to a playoff victory against a good Seattle team is great coaching. The players never quit on Garrett.

I hate this line of thinking. He also coached them to 3-5. Making the playoffs in general is great, adding any extra emphasis to it because of the start he was a part of is silly. Jerry grabbing Amari had a lot to do with it.

nobody

Reaction score
Wade Phillips has an 82-64 coaching record, te majority of his losses coming when he was thrust in the Interim Head Coaching spot mid-season and with garbage QBs like Matt Schaub who was throwing pick 6s at a record rate.

So did Shanahan win the SB with Wade’s team?

1 playoff win in in 6 tries. PERIOD. Conversation over.

khiladi

Reaction score
1 playoff win in in 6 tries. PERIOD. Conversation over.

No, 1-2 with Dallas in two years. You don’t fire a guy in an organization after three winning seasons and right off the first playoff win in seventeen years, especially when the problem was the OC who Jerry eventually stripped from play calling duties but is still here as a figurehead.

nobody

Reaction score
No, 1-2 with Dallas in two years. You don’t fire a guy in an organization after three winning seasons and right off the first playoff win in seventeen years, especially when the problem was the OC who Jerry eventually stripped from play calling duties but is still here as a figurehead.

I'm not going to say that Wade wasn't done dirty, but his record as a HC over the years shows that he's a failure. PERIOD. 1 playoff win in 6 tries.

I'm sure his previous coaching played into why he was let go. He was also the fall guy, sure, but he didn't inspire his team. He lost them. When a coach loses a team, it's often time to move on.

nobody

Reaction score

Let me ask. If he's such an amazing HC, why is he still only coordinating? Why isn't he getting HC offers? The NFL is about post-season success. Owners, GM's, Fans want success in the playoffs. For whatever reasons, Wade couldn't cut it.

khiladi

Reaction score
Let me ask. If he's such an amazing HC, why is he still only coordinating? Why isn't he getting HC offers? The NFL is about post-season success. Owners, GM's, Fans want success in the playoffs. For whatever reasons, Wade couldn't cut it.

Wade wants to be a DC purely now and the way the league has been they wouldn’t hire a guy like him. That has nothing to do with his stint here. His stint here was successful and he was done dirty here. He had post season success in the context of THIS franchise. The problem was the OC he was hamstrung by. You don’t fire a coach coming off three winning seasons and the first playoff birth for a pet project that was showing signs of incompetence and struggle. You address that problem.

No player here criticized Wade, but they did Garrett.

nobody

Reaction score
Wade wants to be a DC purely now and the way the league has been they wouldn’t hire a guy like him. That has nothing to do with his stint here. His stint here was successful and he was done dirty here. He had post season success in the context of this franchise. The problem was the OC he was hamstrung by.

I think the problem is that you accept regular season success as the end all be all and I accept it as step one in a multistep process. He failed step 2. We're not going to agree. I'm not saying he wasn't done dirty, and I certainly think he should have been able to pick his OC. But the fact of the matter is that when push came to shove, his defenses failed just as hard in the playoffs as the offense did in his years here. And he was in charge of that. So no, he wasn't a good HC here.

Nice conversation, but I'm convinced that you are wrong and that he was a failure as he failed in the post-season. Sorry.