News: Jason Garrett - Dak has to improve in every facet

khiladi

Reaction score
The reality is Jason is a politician and he says what eveybody already knows. Dak was garbage this season and Garrett is the idiot that wanted him to start over Romo, the opportunist he is. He won’t acknowledge the idiot decision he made, just like when he hid his face after calling a pass play that led to a Choice fumble, letting Wade take the blame.

khiladi

Reaction score
Garrett hides in plain sight. He's a living model of The Peter Principle and just because he's intelligent and from a football family doesn't make him a good coach.

He got some buzz and got fast tracked up the ladder and if that had been me, I would have gone along for the ride as well. Wanna pay me 3M to OC, fine with that. 6M to HC, even better. By the time all ya'll figure out I couldn't coach against the Sisters of Mercy School for Wayward Girls JV team, I will have socked away a cool 20-25M and be set for life and be able to do what I've always wanted to do, be a hand tester for Isotoner gloves.

His football family is just as incompetent as he is..

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have made the case many times that coaching has led to losses, do you think Jerry said Garrett was "a trainee head coach" just for the hell of it?

The problem is that you refuse to accept any argument that implicates that Garrett is not up to the job. And no, its not a call here or a call there, its the entire body of work over his eight years here. And forget about winning playoff games, how about just making the dam playoffs?

Do you seriously think a head coach that misses the playoffs in almost 75% of the seasons he coaches is not part of the problem? Seriously? Its just a lot of bad luck that poor old Jason misses the playoffs 3/4 of the time. That is your position, that its not Garrett's fault and that its just a bad bounce here and there that causes him to miss the playoffs year after year after year.

That is the difference between me and you...........you think its the players fault, its the assistant coaches at fault, its the weather at fault, its the freaking sunlight through the windows fault, and its just plain old bad luck at fault. You seem to conveniently never list the head coach as one of the reasons we lose.

I seriously don't know how to explain it to you any better in terms or raising the quality of the criticism. In another thread, you even admitted that you could not think of another head coach in the SuperBowl era that had as little success as Garrett and went on to have significant playoff success with that same team. You think Garrett is going to be the first in NFL history to do it, I simply reject that notion as wishful thinking.

I’ve consistently said the issue with losing the playoff games has been with the defensive personnel. Pretty simple. Pretty tough to dispute.

And I don’t think the team was a playoff team between 2010-2012, so yes, I think it’s very reasonable that a team misses the postseason for reasons other than coaching and so don’t think your “almost 75%” number is significant.

Do you have any actual specific criticisms? Or is it all just annecdotes about coaching trainees and teams that weren’t very good not producing above their ability?

birdwells1

Reaction score
Jason coming back doesn't really do anything for me. Any time I hear his voice lately, I change the station, change the channel, etc. Don't want to hear from him at the moment.

I haven't listened to him in years, he tries to carry himself like Belichek or coach Pop but with no skins on the wall. It would be like listening to some guy go on about how you should raise your kids and then finding out he has no kids.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
I thought he was pretty fair and really not that critical when speaking about a player just going into his 3rd year... the thread makes it sound like he straight up said “he played really poorly this season” and he just didn’t say that.

Pants

Reaction score
This is something that Garrett had to say and I have no problems with this coming from a head coach. That being said:

1) Page 3 of the HC manual "How to coach in the NFL for Dummies" (you can see him holding this with his clipboard during the games) states that young QBs must improve in every facet of the game.
- bravo for saying this Jason, but please make this more than just rhetoric, to give the "book" answers to reporters and to hear yourself talk
- if you had "tough talk" in ANY OTHER instance in the past 8 years, these comments would carry some weight; however, it just seems like you are setting up another built-in excuse for failure; good thing you also have a retiring Marinelli (hopefully) as a scapegoat/back-up plan to get you to year #9 of futility when Dak is successful
2) Page 2 of the GM manual "How to Manage an NFL football team for Dummies" states that the GM should say "In the 3rd year of a Head Coach, we have provided enough talent in the roster to see a marked improvement in the decisions by the Head Coach. He should be held accountable after 3 years of no improvement."
- our GM has not held the HC responsible for anything after 3 years, 4 years, 5 years.....now going into the 8th year....
3) Page 1 of the OWNERSHIP manual "How to OWN and run an NFL franchise for Dummies" states that the owner should say "After the 3rd year of non improvement, the GM is given enough resources to improve and failure to improve after the 3rd year should result in the GM finding a suitable HC replacement. Otherwise, the owner finds a new GM."
- we all know the endless loop on that one; our owner will NEVER, EVER replace the GM unless in another 10 years or so, in a moment of dementia, he gives that title to a family member which will then rinse/repeat the steps for the team

I have had enough of this crap, but sadly, I will always watch the Cowboys, take crap from fans of Philly, NYG and Pitt (since I live in NE Penna) and hopefully, some day, will see a changing of the guard at HC, GM, OWNER so that I can see another title before I go off to the great NFL stadium in the sky

glimmerman

Reaction score
The reality is Jason is a politician and he says what eveybody already knows. Dak was garbage this season and Garrett is the idiot that wanted him to start over Romo, the opportunist he is. He won’t acknowledge the idiot decision he made, just like when he hid his face after calling a pass play that led to a Choice fumble, letting Wade take the blame.
I still wonder if JJ really let JG make the decision to not give Romo his job back or let him compete. This is a decision of power I just don’t see JJ giving up. I think JJ knew that was the last straw for Romo. He loves Romo and I believe they had a deal between them that one more serious back injury and it’s a wrap.

visionary

Reaction score
I have made the case many times that coaching has led to losses, do you think Jerry said Garrett was "a trainee head coach" just for the hell of it?

The problem is that you refuse to accept any argument that implicates that Garrett is not up to the job. And no, its not a call here or a call there, its the entire body of work over his eight years here. And forget about winning playoff games, how about just making the dam playoffs?

Do you seriously think a head coach that misses the playoffs in almost 75% of the seasons he coaches is not part of the problem? Seriously? Its just a lot of bad luck that poor old Jason misses the playoffs 3/4 of the time. That is your position, that its not Garrett's fault and that its just a bad bounce here and there that causes him to miss the playoffs year after year after year.

That is the difference between me and you...........you think its the players fault, its the assistant coaches at fault, its the weather at fault, its the freaking sunlight through the windows fault, and its just plain old bad luck at fault. You seem to conveniently never list the head coach as one of the reasons we lose.

I seriously don't know how to explain it to you any better in terms or raising the quality of the criticism. In another thread, you even admitted that you could not think of another head coach in the SuperBowl era that had as little success as Garrett and went on to have significant playoff success with that same team. You think Garrett is going to be the first in NFL history to do it, I simply reject that notion as wishful thinking.

How long before you realize you're wasting your time and energy with this poster?

ESisback

Reaction score
This much is a certainty:

1)If he said "Dak's great
I’ve consistently said the issue with losing the playoff games has been with the defensive personnel. Pretty simple. Pretty tough to dispute.

And I don’t think the team was a playoff team between 2010-2012, so yes, I think it’s very reasonable that a team misses the postseason for reasons other than coaching and so don’t think your “almost 75%” number is significant.

Do you have any actual specific criticisms? Or is it all just annecdotes about coaching trainees and teams that weren’t very good not producing above their ability?

And clapping.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
"(insert random player's name here) really has to improve in all phases to get better" - Jason Garrett Esq. AKA Cap'n Obvious

ZM4RCTt.jpg

I'm kinda proud of this one. May have to put it in my signature.. lol

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
1 playoff win in 8 years.................seems Clappy is not expected to improve very much

Oh, that's right...............I forgot that the reasons we lose have nothing to do with coaching, per the Garrett jock riders:lmao:
What on Earth are you talking about?

ShortRound

Reaction score

If for once he said "You know that was a bad call we made as coaches, but we'll get better, it won't happen again" I'd have respect for him. But to say this about a 2nd year qb, just is crap. I mean he's not wrong, but be a man and leader of the team about it all.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Uh... doesn't Jason say this about every player he's asked about?

Every player, and every coach. Including himself. It's his standard patter on the topic.

For some reason we pretend we don't hear that part and look for reasons to react to it in the context of Dak Prescott. Even though we all know Dak will say the exact same thing when he's asked about it the next time he talks to the press.

Gator88

Reaction score
Every player, and every coach. Including himself. It's his standard patter on the topic.

For some reason we pretend we don't hear that part and look for reasons to react to it in the context of Dak Prescott. Even though we all know Dak will say the exact same thing when he's asked about it the next time he talks to the press.
Has he really said this about himself? I know he says it about every player.