News: Jason Garrett - Dak has to improve in every facet

ESisback

Reaction score
The Garrett fan boys...............mainly Idigt and two other dudes on this site...............constantly say "coaching is not the reason we are losing" to explain Garrett's laughable inability to even make the playoffs (he misses them roughly 75% of the time).

Its pretty much a last ditch effort by them to prop up Clappy, but nobody really takes their arguments seriously any more.

I don't take anyone's arguments seriously when they can't shut up about the stupid clapping. It has ZERO effect on the games' outcome. All I can say personally is that coaching is ONE of the reasons why we're only 22-10 the last two seasons.

ESisback

Reaction score
Wade’s team was fired for being 1-7 with a downward pointing arrow. Pretty obviously.

Garrett’s been retained for generally having the team playing to its ability while working with the scouts to improve the team’s talent level. Which is evidenced by the regular season wins and the 12 and 13 win seasons.

Both those teams lost in the playoffs to a comparable GB team. Neither overproduced, but neither were they unprepared to play. We’re not good enough defensively to consistently beat good QBs.

The obvious path to improvement is to spend resources on defense. Fans blame the coaching because it’s easy. But when you ask for examples, they don’t cite specifics and basically resort to ‘it’s taken too long,’ not considering that even guys like Bill Parcells ran into the same issues in Dallas. It’s been the ability to assemble sufficient talent under Jerry, and not the coaching.

I agree with MOST of what you say, but coaching IS a problem as well. Halftime adjustments have been pretty bad, and IMHO it's on Garrett for allowing the OC to call consecutive empty sets in the RZ when we have a Top 5 RB running behind the "NFL's best OL".

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I agree with MOST of what you say, but coaching IS a problem as well. Halftime adjustments have been pretty bad, and IMHO it's on Garrett for allowing the OC to call consecutive empty sets in the RZ when we have a Top 5 RB running behind the "NFL's best OL".
This brings a tear to my eye.

Now, add in it’s in the final two minutes of the half when running clock if failing to score will help prevent the other team from getting an additional possession that could be avoided.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I don't take anyone's arguments seriously when they can't shut up about the stupid clapping. It has ZERO effect on the games' outcome. All I can say personally is that coaching is ONE of the reasons why we're only 22-10 the last two seasons.

How about that playoff record you conveniently didn't mention?

Maybe winning regular season games and sitting home come playoff time gives you a chubby, but nobody else on this board rolls like that.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh Idgit, you have given this same speech a thousand times..................don't you have anything new to defend Clappy with?

I wonder why 5 or 6 head coaches every year get fired in the NFL, they don't get to use the "not enough talent" excuse. That seems to be specific to Garrett.

I’ll stop giving it when you come back with a convincing counter to it and change my mind.

I don’t dispute that the easiest way to reboot a fan base is to change coaches. My argument is that just because that works to generate interest from fans, it doesn’t mean it’s in the best interest of the team when it comes to building a program.

As long as I see the issues on defense with a competitive offense, I’m going to want it fixed.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It’s all about context. You unhappy with our offensive red zone production overall?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I’ll stop giving it when you come back with a convincing counter to it and change my mind.

I don’t dispute that the easiest way to reboot a fan base is to change coaches. My argument is that just because that works to generate interest from fans, it doesn’t mean it’s in the best interest of the team when it comes to building a program.

As long as I see the issues on defense with a competitive offense, I’m going to want it fixed.

I want the defense fixed too, that is not the issue.

The issue is that Garrett has done jack in 8 years to fix the defense, maybe somebody else needs to take a turn?

We are bros, but at what point does the "not enough talent" excuse reach its statue of limitations for Garrett? If 8 yrs is not enough, is it 9, 10, 11, 12, what is a reasonable time period in which a head coach should be expected to build his program?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Says you.

Yea, says me.............the Cowboys have a standard and tradition rooted in playoff success and glory.............not getting a chubby because we win 8 games instead of 4.

Take that crap back to the Browns board bro.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, because with the talent we have on offense, we should score on anyone.

Well, fwiw, even in a down year we were 7th in red zone scoring efficiency this season. Down from 5th the year before. And we had 17 red zone rushing touches. We’re doing some red zone running clearly.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Speaking for myself only, I bear no resentment with a coach demanding improvement from a player, especially if such demands are justified. Whether JG has his limitations or not has no bearing upon the facts, if and when any player he's in charge of truly needs to improve.

Dak has no hesitation about taking responsibility for his failures and will always be the first one to admit as much. He'll also work tirelessly to change whatever requires changing. His career has a long way to go before giving up on him would be justified.

Certainly, Garrett has his own limitations as a coach but that doesn't change the fact that he's nevertheless responsible for advocating change if and when change is required. Dak Prescott would be the first to admit the validity of Garrett's demands.

Let's simply be patient enough with both of them to facilitate whatever's necessary to improve the team. If their efforts don't materialize in Dak's case, it will hopefully be dealt with appropriately when the time comes. The upcoming season will very likely indicate whether or not sufficient progress is being made regarding Dak's performance. Let's see what happens first before passing judgment.

Last edited:

ESisback

Reaction score
Yea, says me.............the Cowboys have a standard and tradition rooted in playoff success and glory.............not getting a chubby because we win 8 games instead of 4.

Take that crap back to the Browns board bro.

"Getting chubbies" seems like your favorite catch all phrase when you don't know what to say. You sound like one of those excessively entitled fans throwing a tantrum because you don't have water cooler bragging rights. How long have you been a Cowboy fan?

Go back to the Browns' board?!? I've been a Cowboys fan since before Roger.

ESisback

Reaction score
Well, fwiw, even in a down year we were 7th in red zone scoring efficiency this season. Down from 5th the year before. And we had 17 red zone rushing touches. We’re doing some red zone running clearly.

One that sticks in my mind is the first and goal inside the five. Three failed pass plays later, we're attempting a FG. Yeah, our offense is GOOD, but it would be so much better if we kept defenses guessing.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
yep glad jason improved the left side of the offensive line. yeah it was just one game.. he had to watch the tapes to see what was happening so he could adjust to it.... not sure which is worse,
A. listening to an old senile drunk talk
B. to a robot and his "process"