Jason Hatcher = Poor Man's Mario Williams

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
The fact that the Pats called our guys after we picked Hatcher and ribbed us about taking the guy they wanted in the 4th has to make you feel good. I'm sure the Pats saw him as a great potential bookend to Seymour.

i'm excited about his potential. Seeing young players like Hatcher for the first time is what makes the pre-season exciting!

tyke1doe

Reaction score
silver said:
go back and look at the tapes from '91 tru '96. he was a monster. specially in the playoffs.

I hate to call anyone dumb, but Leon Lett was not the smartest cookie on the field.

If he had the dedication of a Michael Irvin, he would have been a Hall of Famer.

And I never felt sicker as a Cowboys fan - no, not even after "The Catch" :banghead: - than I felt when Leon Lett touched that ball on a snowy Texas Stadium field in 1993.

I just left all the Thanksgiving Day festivities and laid down in bed and went to sleep.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
Jason Hatcher
jasonhatcherdraft.jpg

Height:: 6-6
Weight: 290
40 Time:: 4.7
Sacks:: 20.5

Mario Williams

Height:: 6-6
Weight:: 280
40 Time:: 4.66
Sacks: 25.5

THOUGHTS?

Didn't Williams weigh in at the combines at 295lbs?

Either or the comarison is still a stretch.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Man, some of you guys are overreacting to the comparison.

Lighten up.

For what it's worth, RealCowboysfan, I thought the same thing.

I personally feel that Mario Williams is hugely overrated. The guy was hardly dominating on the college level - why did I just keep seeing him make plays against Maryland?

Similarly, I believe Jason Hatcher is correct in saying that he didn't have the best coaching at Grambling. That's not a knock on the coaching staff. It did the best it could. But the weight program, the teaching and instruction and the insight is not the same as it is on a major college level.

I won't say he'll be the next Julius Pepper or Richard Seymour, but he has the measureables and if it is true he lacks refinement and can grasp all he'll be taught, he should be pretty good because he has the size and speed.

And therein lies the comparison to Mario Williams.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
I just left all the Thanksgiving Day festivities and laid down in bed and went to sleep.

Not me. I ranted and raved for hours, and then days about that act of stupidity. I wish I could have just curled up and went to sleep.

Being from Florida and not liking the Dolphins, even today, that play remains one of my single most frustrating moments as a Cowboy fan, after almost 40 years of watching them.

It's a good thing I wasn't the HC that day because I was so mad I would have cut Lett right then and that would have been an even "stupider" move than Leon's. :D

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Here’s what I’ve got for Hatcher at the combine:

6’6”
284 pounds
4.82 forty
35.5” vertical
28 bench press reps

Compared to other DE’s at the combine:

- T2nd in height (Williams was the tallest)
- 2nd in weight (Williams was the heaviest)
- 21st in the forty (Indiana’s Ben Ishola was the fastest)
- 8th in the vertical
- t9th in the bench press (Ohio States Mike Kudla did the most)

Compared to other DT’s at the combine:

- 1st in height
- Last in weight
- 1st in the forty
- 1st in the vertical
- 13th in the bench press

Rich………

aikemirv

Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
Man, some of you guys are overreacting to the comparison.

Lighten up.

For what it's worth, RealCowboysfan, I thought the same thing.

I personally feel that Mario Williams is hugely overrated. The guy was hardly dominating on the college level - why did I just keep seeing him make plays against Maryland?

Similarly, I believe Jason Hatcher is correct in saying that he didn't have the best coaching at Grambling. That's not a knock on the coaching staff. It did the best it could. But the weight program, the teaching and instruction and the insight is not the same as it is on a major college level.

I won't say he'll be the next Julius Pepper or Richard Seymour, but he has the measureables and if it is true he lacks refinement and can grasp all he'll be taught, he should be pretty good because he has the size and speed.

And therein lies the comparison to Mario Williams.

I think he is overated too. Looking at the highlights, he does not look near the player that Julius Peppers was coming out of college.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Just having fun and killing time in the offseason, I can see where the comparison could be made. The size is comparible and the speed is comparible. Using common sense to extrapolate where Hatcher might have been right now with major college weight training and coaching... it isn't too far fetched to think that he might be similar to Williams.

The biggest thing standing in the way of a DE being as good as Mario Williams would be the size and athleticism... and Hatcher has that. So if he's as big as Mario and as fast as Mario and as smart as Mario... what exactly would've kept him from being as good as Mario with similar coaching and weight training? For that matter, if he's as big and fast as Mario now when he had lesser training... what would keep him from being faster and stronger than Mario with similar training?

I'm not saying he'll be as good as Mario... but it certainly isn't that much of a reach to compare the two.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
BigDave95 said:
It's supposed to be a ridiculous comparison. Just like the Hatcher/Williams comparison is just insane. You're talking about the #1 overall pick and a late 3rd rounder. Just because they have comparable size and speed doesn't mean they are anywhere near the same level of player. There's more to playing in the NFL than measurables.

I didn't say you were not trying not to make a rediculous comparison. But what I was saying was, you are not making a good rediculous one when you say Tyson and Bush are both small and fast. :)

But Hatcher and Williams are of similar hieght/wieght and speed. Both had equally good production, just a different levels, while Hatcher played less number of years at DE.

Having said, that I don't think saying Hatcher is poor man's Williams is such a rediculous comparson vs Richard Seymour , who is really proven Vet. Williams till this point is just potential, just like Courtney Brown was once, all the potential, didn't do him any good. And so is Hatcher.

Hey, they were saying, Kamerion Wimbley is poor man's Demarcus Ware. He is good .1 or more second slower in 40, did less Bench press then him I think, and didn't has as good stats as Ware. Its just a comparison, based on physical measureables etc. or similar stats etc.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
bbgun said:
He's old enough to be Williams' father.

Man, you must be a glutton for punishment. Isn't your bottom red enough after the beotch slapping you got on this subject earlier today?:eek:

MACHIAVELLI

Reaction score
adbutcher said:
Attribute wise he is quite similar. I can't wait to see him in action eventhough he went to a lesser school (not in the sense you all think). :)

Please explain.

gbrittain

Reaction score
Before it is all said and done Mario Williams could end up being the "poor man's" Jason Hatcher for all we know.

Reaction score
So is anybody here willing to bet any money that Mario Williams will have a better NFL career than Jason Hatcher? I sure wouldn't act like I know what is going to happen based on one guy being picked first overall and another guy being a "sleeper" pick.
For example, Keyshawn #1 overall pick in 1996, T.O. was the 89th pick in that draft. Who is considered to have had the better on-field career at this point? This example is actually a really close comparison with T.O. being the 89th pick and Hatcher being the 92nd pick.
Another example, Courtney Brown #1 overall pick in 2000, Tom Brady #199 overall. Not the same position you say. First QB taken in 2000 was Pennington with the 18th pick. I'd still take the guy at 199 please.
I'm not saying that Hatcher will be better than Willimas just because I am a die-hard Cowboys fan. I have no idea and none of us do. What I am saying is that it's not crazy to just consider it possible. What is crazy is those who pretend like it isn't even debatable because of where the players being compared were picked. Look at any draft and you will find tons of situations that would be laughable to the so-called draft experts on draft day.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
johnnybluestar said:
So is anybody here willing to bet any money that Mario Williams will have a better NFL career than Jason Hatcher? I sure wouldn't act like I know what is going to happen based on one guy being picked first overall and another guy being a "sleeper" pick.
For example, Keyshawn #1 overall pick in 1996, T.O. was the 89th pick in that draft. Who is considered to have had the better on-field career at this point? This example is actually a really close comparison with T.O. being the 89th pick and Hatcher being the 92nd pick.
Another example, Courtney Brown #1 overall pick in 2000, Tom Brady #199 overall. Not the same position you say. First QB taken in 2000 was Pennington with the 18th pick. I'd still take the guy at 199 please.
I'm not saying that Hatcher will be better than Willimas just because I am a die-hard Cowboys fan. I have no idea and none of us do. What I am saying is that it's not crazy to just consider it possible. What is crazy is those who pretend like it isn't even debatable because of where the players being compared were picked. Look at any draft and you will find tons of situations that would be laughable to the so-called draft experts on draft day.

True dat.

Let us have our optimism. Aint nothing wrong with that. :)