Recommended Jason Witten is returning to the Cowboys **merged**

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Is this a joke? Somehow Abdul-Jabbar’s performance in another sport at age 37 and as a starter is supposed to shed light on what we might expect from Witten at age 37 in a part-time role and after a year off? Because Garrett thinks Witten’s Y-option route is as unstoppable as Kareem’s skyhook?

Huh. Thanks for the contribution Jon Machota.
Well, the ol' #82' s "Y" grocery run casing-liner was seemingly always an viable & 99% available option, ya know?o_O

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
Our offense was pathetic last year. Including at the time when the young guys were "coming along just fine" . This does nothing to stop the progress of the ineptness of the Cowboys offense .
Great then.......lets get slower at TE! Shall we bring back dez and murray too! That way we can have the most unexplosive and slow offense in the NFL.

Fire407

Reaction score
Witten will be a first ballot HOF guy no matter what now. Unlike Eli Manning who was once a first round HOF, and then the longer he plays the further he gets from that first round.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
Are there no TE's in the upcoming draft who could run 6 yard patterns on 3rd and 10? and who would play for less money?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is the point. Bringing in Witten is not innovating. They are telling you 40% of the snaps are going to be the same old offense. We will see but I don't see the addition of Witten as part of a new and improved offense. Most likely it will be check down city.

This makes no sense at all. Why do you think Witten can’t block a DE or LB, or run a pass pattern or catch a ball with changes to the offense? So what if Witten played in the old offense - so did Zeke and Dak and Frederick and Martin and Tyron Smith and Jarwin and Schultz and the majority of the players that will play on the Cowboys offense this season. When teams make changes they don’t fire everyone and get new players.

As for the “check down city” idea, playing 40% of the snaps means he will sit 60% of the time - how does the 40% dictate the offense over the 60%? Do you think they are going to run one offense 60% of the time, and another 40%? Plus, much of the 40% will likely be in 2 TE sets, meaning the TE playing the majority of the snaps And getting the majority of the targets will still be in the game as well, and Witten will not be the only TE option.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If Witten plays his usual 90%+ snaps, this is a mistake.

He should be a bridge player, with the other guys getting lots of snaps. Hopefully, someone else is the starter before the end of the season.

At 3.5mil, Witten is a decent version of our cheap free agent signings. Solid bridge player.

Silly

Reaction score
This makes no sense at all. Why do you think Witten can’t block a DE or LB, or run a pass pattern or catch a ball with changes to the offense? So what if Witten played in the old offense - so did Zeke and Dak and Frederick and Martin and Tyron Smith and Jarwin and Schultz and the majority of the players that will play on the Cowboys offense this season. When teams make changes they don’t fire everyone and get new players.

As for the “check down city” idea, playing 40% of the snaps means he will sit 60% of the time - how does the 40% dictate the offense over the 60%? Do you think they are going to run one offense 60% of the time, and another 40%? Plus, much of the 40% will likely be in 2 TE sets, meaning the TE playing the majority of the snaps And getting the majority of the targets will still be in the game as well, and Witten will not be the only TE option.

We will see. Hope you are correct. But It will be check down city because he is too slow to get down the field.

GMO415

Reaction score
I hope he comes in and shuts his mouth. He's just a "hired gun" for one year. The young guns are the leaders now. I don't want this guy coming in here screwing with the confidence of this team. They made it to the divisional round without him.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We will see. Hope you are correct. But It will be check down city because he is too slow to get down the field.

You’ve got to quit thinking of him as an every down receiver. Surely you realize the 2nd string TE on every team isn’t a prolific downfield receive, nor does he get so many targets he dictates the offense.

Let’s say he only averages 9 yards per catch - so what? He isn’t going to be the #1 or #2 most targeted receiver on the team like in the past. He will likely be more like the 5th or 6th most targeted receiver behind Cooper, Gallup, Jarwin, Zeke, and maybe even another WR. And 9 yards per catch isn’t anything to sneeze at anyway, especially for a player who’s completion% is so high.

In the end, he will be playing a role, and there is a role for guys who average 9 yards per catch just like there is a role for guys who average 14 yards per catch. If you want a dynamic offense not everyone will be running routes at the same depth, and you will force the defense to cover multiple options over the entire field.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I didn't either. If he had been a better analyst, do you think he would have come back? Bet it tore him up to see the action rather than be the action.

I think that the two things are separate. I mean, if ESPN were to fire him, I would guess that he would receive a buy out, which would likely be lucrative. We also don't know if Witt would be fired or just paired with somebody else. Also, he only signed a one year deal and I understand it to be only 5 million, so not as much as it could have been, certainly. I think he just wanted to come back and try to win a championship.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I wouldn't care if DAL maxed out the cap and went for it

But if they don't cut AHurns and make SLee take a pay cut then it is a waste of valuable cap space

Restructure TSmith and ZMartin and get another 15m in cap space to sign EThomas and a DT and I'm happy

Cash over cap is the way to go right now ..... the future is here

Silly

Reaction score
In the end, he will be playing a role, and there is a role for guys who average 9 yards per catch just like there is a role for guys who average 14 yards per catch. If you want a dynamic offense not everyone will be running routes at the same depth, and you will force the defense to cover multiple options over the entire field.

Good. So we have established that witten doesn't have the athleticism to be athletically innovating to the offense.
That makes him a role player. I ask you when has dallas ever utilized effectively a role player? A role player is a tell. I still think it is a sign that the offense is not really changing under moore.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good. So we have established that witten doesn't have the athleticism to be athletically innovating to the offense.
That makes him a role player. I ask you when has dallas ever utilized effectively a role player? A role player is a tell. I still think it is a sign that the offense is not really changing under moore.

Lol - so you skipped the entirety of my post for the purpose of furthering an illogical argument and only quoted and responded to what you could make fit your narrative.

It seems your definition of innovation is throwing the ball downfield all the time, and the truth is that can be just as mundane and predictable as throwing short too often. But I addressed this in my previous post, and you chose to bury your head in the sand on that part because you couldn’t make it fit your narrative.

I’ll repeat what you ignored from my ...Innovation is finding ways to make it difficult for the defense to stop you, which means having options all over the field so the defense can’t focus on one thing. It includes short options, intermediate options, deep options, inside throws and outside throws etc... Accordingly, not every receiver has to be a constant downfield threat. Besides that, it’s ridiculous to suggest a team can’t be “innovative” unless the 2nd team TE is a constant downfield threat.

Silly

Reaction score
. It includes short options, intermediate options, deep options, inside throws and outside throws etc... Accordingly, not every receiver has to be a constant downfield threat. Besides that, it’s ridiculous to suggest a team can’t be “innovative” unless the 2nd team TE is a constant downfield threat.

Exactly. Witten in the formation will tell the defense it is a run or he is running a short route. Do you remember the last season he played? The defense will gladly give him 6 yards on a 3rd and long. He can't run and drops down where he catches the ball. Bringing witten back is the same old offense.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The he's not "depth" is he?

And if you're counting on him jumping back in at his age, after a year and a half off, and "contributing his average", you're awfully optimistic.
I’m not expecting anything from him. I’m telling you what possibly may be the Cowboys mindset here.