Jaws Says Dont Blame Weeden

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
When? It had to be before he was a QB for the Eagles, because he hasn't been since then! :laugh:

I remember a couple of segments way back when I really enjoyed and learned something from, but not really since.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Did he comment on Weeden's accuracy at all? Accuracy is usually Jaws' big thing.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Did he comment on Weeden's accuracy at all? Accuracy is usually Jaws' big thing.

I think this is one of those things where someone is trying to look smart and do extra analysis and show you that your bias/preconceptions aren't wrong. Unfortunately, this one is clear as day.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Brandon gets some of the blame but it's a TEAM game. Sound familiar?

I dunno where you're going with this, but the defense had held the cards to what, 14 points by late in the third or something? The offense could not move the ball and that was 100% on the qb.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Originally, I believed that Weeden wasn't really to blame.

Then Sturm posted those .gifs of Beasley running wide open and Weeden not seeing him, and I completely changed my mind. Clearly, Jaws hasn't seen those images.

It was a combination of multiple things: Weeden did not play well; the skill players did not elevate their game; the o-line was missing two key cogs; and, the play calling/schemes could have been better. They can all play better and I expect they will.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dunno where you're going with this, but the defense had held the cards to what, 14 points by late in the third or something? The offense could not move the ball and that was 100% on the qb.

He goes where he always goes... It's a broadside shot at all the old Romo threads that have been posted blaming him for losses.

As he said, all wins and losses are the result of team play. Special teams could've been better. I thought the defense held up their end for the most part. The offense led by Weeden was butt ugly and that's a direct result of Weeden's poor play. Demarco provided the lipstick on the pig effect.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Originally, I believed that Weeden wasn't really to blame.

Then Sturm posted those .gifs of Beasley running wide open and Weeden not seeing him, and I completely changed my mind. Clearly, Jaws hasn't seen those images.

That was part of the problem. I think Jaws is alluding to the fact we were looking at long yardage too much. At least I hope that's it.

Weeden was playing poorly for sure. Romo misses wide open receivers at times. They all do; esp when there is adequate pressure.

AZ is hard to run on. They have the personnel to stop it and they run the schemes to stop it as well. We didn't exactly bowl them over.

Most of the fault lies with the scheme/playcalling. You have to put Weeden in position to play as well as he can. Now Linehan may have done that and Weeden may be worse at times than even some on this board think. If so then they need to make a hard decision and the sooner the better. If not then Linehan needs to make sure the kid gets comfortable early on and he calls plays that have a higher likelihood of success.

You can't play well consistently in this league with third and long.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
It was a combination of multiple things: Weeden did not play well; the skill players did not elevate their game; the o-line was missing two key cogs; and, the play calling/schemes could have been better. They can all play better and I expect they will.

This is what I was trying to say.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Have you looked at the film and do you agree with the message?

Or is this one of your many unsubstantiated attacks on the overall board personality. You haven't even added to the discussion.

Jaws does have a point. Weeden wasn't very sharp but the game plan was poor and we were in 3rd and long regularly.
You can't run a ball control offense where your 3rd down average is 8 yards to go.

We've already discussed "the board" video reviews are generally just really poor.

Weeden didn't have many options and was constantly behind the chains.
With Romo he'd make bail outs plays or get a turnover and eat all the blame too.

Arizona was far better than us as a team.
Looked like we did versus other teams previously.

Take away the pick 6 and that game wasn't even competitive.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
The issue here is that Jaws has been a sad joke for years. He's all about style and little about substance. He *used* to be a very good, straight forward, analyst. But years of being in Bristol he started to see less skilled analysts and commentators move ahead of him because they presented caricatures of themselves. The thing is...Jaws has been this way for at least the past 10 years...but nobody really noticed except for myself and a few others.

Murray ran against 9 man fronts for 4.2 yards per carry. I don't think a QB can ask for much more than that. He simply has to execute. Weeden could not make accurate throws and locked onto his first read. Dez was getting open, but Weeden kept missing him. And the INT to Witten, Beasley was WIDE open underneath (and running right in front of Weeden), but Weeden had already pre-determined to throw the ball to Witten and it got picked off.

Hard to blame anybody but the QB for those plays.

YR

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Jaws does have a point. Weeden wasn't very sharp but the game plan was poor and we were in 3rd and long regularly.
You can't run a ball control offense where your 3rd down average is 8 yards to go.

We've already discussed "the board" video reviews are generally just really poor.

Weeden didn't have many options and was constantly behind the chains.
With Romo he'd make bail outs plays or get a turnover and eat all the blame too.

Arizona was far better than us as a team.
Looked like we did versus other teams previously.

Take away the pick 6 and that game wasn't even competitive.

I think we are a better team overall. Our offense is better and should be much better even with Fitz. I like their D better but we were supposed to have the worst D the NFL ever saw.

I'd like to play them again with a healthy Romo. I think we beat them 7 out of 10 times.

RS12

Reaction score
Jaws Says Dont Blame Weeden

Did Dez make him lock on to him the second he left the huddle via mind control and were those throws that were 10 yards off target caused by high winds inside Jerry world?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
The issue here is that Jaws has been a sad joke for years. He's all about style and little about substance. He *used* to be a very good, straight forward, analyst. But years of being in Bristol he started to see less skilled analysts and commentators move ahead of him because they presented caricatures of themselves. The thing is...Jaws has been this way for at least the past 10 years...but nobody really noticed except for myself and a few others.

Murray ran against 9 man fronts for 4.2 yards per carry. I don't think a QB can ask for much more than that. He simply has to execute. Weeden could not make accurate throws and locked onto his first read. Dez was getting open, but Weeden kept missing him. And the INT to Witten, Beasley was WIDE open underneath (and running right in front of Weeden), but Weeden had already pre-determined to throw the ball to Witten and it got picked off.

Hard to blame anybody but the QB for those plays.

YR

Murray had two runs which created the illusion of an effective YPC. You aren't going to run into a decent run defense with 8-9 in the box and to continue to try to do so after failing then shame on you.

It was a team loss and yes Weeden had a lot to do with it. He isn't by his lonesome.

conner01

Reaction score
Jaws knows more about this game than the combined intellect of this board. I still marvel at how people equate the person who brings the message as an idiot just because they disagree with the message.

If that were truly the case, one might make the argument CowboyZone is idiot central. Just sayin'.

so you agree with jaws that the problem was the run game and not weeden.i just don't see that. i am not one to bash the media so calling jaws names is silly but he is wrong. there were open recievers all day and weeden could'nt find them or connect with them. we ran for over 4 yards per carry but we had a qb who could'nt convert the 3rd downs. to blame this on the run game is just silly

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
He goes where he always goes... It's a broadside shot at all the old Romo threads that have been posted blaming him for losses.

As he said, all wins and losses are the result of team play. Special teams could've been better. I thought the defense held up their end for the most part. The offense led by Weeden was butt ugly and that's a direct result of Weeden's poor play. Demarco provided the lipstick on the pig effect.

You stole my thunder. I saw a stat that said Weeden's game was worse than any single QBR that Romo has ever had. Ever.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Have you looked at the film and do you agree with the message?

Or is this one of your many unsubstantiated attacks on the overall board personality. You haven't even added to the discussion.

Jaws didn't jsut get stupid is the point.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
The run game wasn't dominant. Anyone can tell that is true. But a good team/a good QB would have taken advantage of the fact that you were playing against one of the worst pass defenses in the league.

As great as AZ's run defense is, their pass defense has been pretty poor this season. I guess playing against a Weeden cures that ill.

But, running game & coaches.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Murray had two runs which created the illusion of an effective YPC. You aren't going to run into a decent run defense with 8-9 in the box and to continue to try to do so after failing then shame on you.

It was a team loss and yes Weeden had a lot to do with it. He isn't by his lonesome.

I think Weeden basically gave the Cowboys virtually zero chance of winning.

It's Football 101. The Cardinals were set on taking away the run by stacking 8 and 9 in the box. They had zero repercussions for doing so because Weeden could not beat them with his arm when stacking 8-9 in the box is a favorable position for the passing game to be in.

I would consider the Washington loss more of a team effort. The QB didn't play well, but neither did the receivers and the defense along with costly turnovers by Murray and Randle.

This loss against Arizona was set in motion and revolved around Weeden's incompetence.

YR