Jaws Says Dont Blame Weeden

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Murray had two runs which created the illusion of an effective YPC. You aren't going to run into a decent run defense with 8-9 in the box and to continue to try to do so after failing then shame on you.

It was a team loss and yes Weeden had a lot to do with it. He isn't by his lonesome.

Exactly. That 4.2 per carry wasn't "clean".

Nation

Reaction score
I think there is some partial blame that should go to the play calling no doubt. Arizona has a bad pass D, a good run D, and knew they were facing a bad QB. I would have come out throwing on 1st downs instead of running into a wall and putting Weeden in 2nd/3rd & Long scenarios. He might have still failed even with those scenarios, but they could have been easier.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The run game wasn't dominant. Anyone can tell that is true. But a good team/a good QB would have taken advantage of the fact that you were playing against one of the worst pass defenses in the league.

As great as AZ's run defense is, their pass defense has been pretty poor this season. I guess playing against a Weeden cures that ill.

But, running game & coaches.

Well Washington's pass defense was lackluster too, playing with two rookie corners and the Cowboys passing offense fell flat.

Weeden was bad. But there were other reasons for the loss also.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Exactly. That 4.2 per carry wasn't "clean".

Agreed. The problem with Jaw's review is that he puts the onus on the run game to just "do better." Just succeeding with what they did was solid, including those two big runs. The onus is on Weeden and the passing game to force the Arizone defense to pay for stacking the run.

Basically it's the inverse of when we used to complain about no running game. We couldn't force teams to get out of coverage and bring people into the box. Last weekend, there was no reason to do anything but double cover Dez and run blitz consistently.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. The problem with Jaw's review is that he puts the onus on the run game to just "do better." Just succeeding with what they did was solid, including those two big runs. The onus is on Weeden and the passing game to force the Arizone defense to pay for stacking the run.

Basically it's the inverse of when we used to complain about no running game. We couldn't force teams to get out of coverage and bring people into the box. Last weekend, there was no reason to do anything but double cover Dez and run blitz consistently.

Agreed.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Well Washington's pass defense was lackluster too, playing with two rookie corners and the Cowboys passing offense fell flat.

Weeden was bad. But there were other reasons for the loss also.
You're not going to get a debate from me that both Romo and the coaches failed to execute against Washington. I was concerned going into that game because I knew that Haslett has a knack for rattling Romo and this offense.

But we're not really discussing that, we're discussing Arizona. I contend that the protection was better against Arizona and that the plays were there. I saw plenty more drags & rub routes, I just didn't see a QB even considering those passes.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I guess what I'm saying is, I feel like the coaches DID adjust after washington. The route combinations changed and there were options on blitzes. The QB just did not follow that preparation. Maybe the coaches didn't coach him the right way, I dunno. But there is enough evidence between the Browns and now this game that Weedens' problems are the same. He just can't seem to get it done. And the lack of weapons excuse is nonsense.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
While I don't fully agree with Jaws I will say Dallas running on 1st down is becoming routine, I think facing top ranked run defense you may be better off mixing it up more often. Dallas being in 2nd and long as often as they were was not beneficial to Weeden. The onus is still on him to go out and perform and he did not do it

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
While I don't fully agree with Jaws I will say Dallas running on 1st down is becoming routine, I think facing top ranked run defense you may be better off mixing it up more often. Dallas being in 2nd and long as often as they were was not beneficial to Weeden. The onus is still on him to go out and perform and he did not do it

There is definitely a case to be made by mixing it up early. I do think it's a question of values. Up until Washington, this team was putting value on execution over tactics. In other words, we don't care if the defense does know we are running a zone stretch - you go out and execute it and get us 4 yards. They do need to start considering that keeping the defense honest against the pass on early downs is important as well.

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
Jaws does have a point. Weeden wasn't very sharp but the game plan was poor and we were in 3rd and long regularly.
You can't run a ball control offense where your 3rd down average is 8 yards to go.

We've already discussed "the board" video reviews are generally just really poor.

Weeden didn't have many options and was constantly behind the chains.
With Romo he'd make bail outs plays or get a turnover and eat all the blame too.

Arizona was far better than us as a team.
Looked like we did versus other teams previously.

Take away the pick 6 and that game wasn't even competitive.

Weeden had a lot of options. If you review the film then we can discuss all the plays where I think he had ample options. But other than seeing the all 22 completely, there's not much that can be discussed that isn't utter conjecture.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There is definitely a case to be made by mixing it up early. I do think it's a question of values. Up until Washington, this team was putting value on execution over tactics. In other words, we don't care if the defense does know we are running a zone stretch - you go out and execute it and get us 4 yards. They do need to start considering that keeping the defense honest against the pass on early downs is important as well.

I get that but not all defense are the same, Cards are a pretty stout group up front and when they are stacking the line it makes it even harder.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I get that but not all defense are the same, Cards are a pretty stout group up front and when they are stacking the line it makes it even harder.

Yeah I agree. I'd have to go see what our Run/Pass was on first down but I guess a ton of pass.

Maybe they should have passed early. Honestly, I dunno that it would have made a lick of difference.

EDIT: Took a look at Sturm's charts. Apparently we passed on first down more than we ran. Yikes! Maybe that was Q4?

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/files/2014/11/Screen-Shot-2014-11-04-at-7.16.23-AM.png

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Weeden's terrible passing and propensity to lock on to one receiver were the overwhelming reasons we lost and it's not even close.

I like Jaws and normally like his analysis. This time I don't and he deserves the criticism.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah I agree. I'd have to go see what our Run/Pass was on first down but I guess a ton of pass.

Maybe they should have passed early. Honestly, I dunno that it would have made a lick of difference.

nor do I but I do notice that we run vast majority on 1st down and after a while defense notice it as well. Vs some teams it may not be as much of an issue since as I said all defense are not created equal. When facing a top defense I think you have to mix things up a bit more.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Weeden's terrible passing and propensity to lock on to one receiver were the overwhelming reasons we lost and it's not even close.

I like Jaws and normally like his analysis. This time I don't and he deserves the criticism.

When you are an intelligent person, which I think Jaws and many posters here are, you tend to try to analyze to find things such as root cause, leading indicators, and other such concepts that show the hidden picture. There is nothing wrong with that, but as I said in another thread, when you hear hooves, think horses not zebras. I don't think there is a lot of analysis here. THe QB was horrible, and always has been. The simplest solution is the correct one.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
nor do I but I do notice that we run vast majority on 1st down and after a while defense notice it as well. Vs some teams it may not be as much of an issue since as I said all defense are not created equal. When facing a top defense I think you have to mix things up a bit more.

Check above, apparently we passed more on first down than we ran. I would have to check the 4th quarter drive chart to know it it was pumped up for that though.

Hoov

Reaction score
People get lazy. It does not matter how much you know if you don't really study the film.

I think this is it. I heard him say he watches every game every week for some report or analysis he does for some network.

He is probably spread too thin and did a quickie on this game to focus more on other games that might have either more interest or more to analyze.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're not going to get a debate from me that both Romo and the coaches failed to execute against Washington. I was concerned going into that game because I knew that Haslett has a knack for rattling Romo and this offense.

But we're not really discussing that, we're discussing Arizona. I contend that the protection was better against Arizona and that the plays were there. I saw plenty more drags & rub routes, I just didn't see a QB even considering those passes.

No... not trying to debate you this CR.

Weeden was abysmal.

I just don't think the play calling is as sharp as it was earlier on in the season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think this is it. I heard him say he watches every game every week for some report or analysis he does for some network.

He is probably spread too thin and did a quickie on this game to focus more on other games that might have either more interest or more to analyze.

It's very time consuming and takes a lot of energy to really focus on the details of a game. I spend hours every week reviewing the Cowboys games and each time I review it again I see something that I didn't notice the first time. I can't imagine trying to review a large number of games every week.

Also, if you review a team that you have not spent a lot of time reviewing in previous games, then it's difficult to know how that game compares to the previous ones. I think the more that people have reviewed the Cowboys games this season, the easier it is to see that Weeden was the primary problem in the game.