Jaws Says Dont Blame Weeden

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Check above, apparently we passed more on first down than we ran. I would have to check the 4th quarter drive chart to know it it was pumped up for that though.

6 of those 1st down pass plays were in the 4th qrt at the around the 5 min mark

Carolina Cowboy

Reaction score
Originally, I believed that Weeden wasn't really to blame.

Then Sturm posted those .gifs of Beasley running wide open and Weeden not seeing him, and I completely changed my mind. Clearly, Jaws hasn't seen those images.

Not only that, the passing chart showed the guy never threw the ball to the left side of the field. How is that not a QB issue?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
6 of those 1st down pass plays were in the 4th qrt at the around the 5 min mark

Yeah I figured most of it came later in the game. Do you happen to know how effective we were passing it the other 9 times? My hunch says not very, but I can't say for certain.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Whatever Jaws.

That game would've been a Cowboy beat down with Romo and Murray would've got another 100 because Romo would've kept some drive alive with a forward pass.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Yeah I agree. I'd have to go see what our Run/Pass was on first down but I guess a ton of pass.

Maybe they should have passed early. Honestly, I dunno that it would have made a lick of difference.

EDIT: Took a look at Sturm's charts. Apparently we passed on first down more than we ran. Yikes! Maybe that was Q4?

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/files/2014/11/Screen-Shot-2014-11-04-at-7.16.23-AM.png

PFR play index has a 14/12 pass run ratio. It was 7/10 pass to run through the 1st 3 quarters. That last drive skewed the numbers a bit.

Murray YPC on 1st down through the first 8 games - 5.79. Against ARZ - 2.4.

Heck, as a team they came into the ARZ game averaging 6.42 yards per play on 1st. Only managed 3.65 Sunday.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah I figured most of it came later in the game. Do you happen to know how effective we were passing it the other 9 times? My hunch says not very, but I can't say for certain.

I should say 3 of the other 1st down throws took place on the last drive before halftime so again it was a situation where you are trying to move the ball in a hurry thus you throw it more often. I take no blame away from Weeden at all but I am a bit concerned with the obvious 1st down runs vs quality defense. Dallas may have to mix things up a bit more

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I blame Linehan and Garrett for thinking that Weeden could execute a game-plan that calls for possibly looking beyond the first read and fitting the football into tight-windows (things that viable NFL level QBs do and such). So I guess I "kind of" agree with Jaws.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
It's Football 101. The Cardinals were set on taking away the run by stacking 8 and 9 in the box. They had zero repercussions for doing so because Weeden could not beat them with his arm when stacking 8-9 in the box is a favorable position for the passing game to be in.

That is it exactly. Any defense can bring up 8 or 9 guys in the box and stop a team from running the ball, no matter how good it is. The key for the offense is making the defense pay dearly in the passing game when they bring that many up against the run.

Weeden was incapable of making them regret bringing so many up. Romo, who is used to playing with no run game to speak of, eats that kind of defense for lunch. He's been doing it all year long. Bring up a lot of guys to shut Murray down and Romo goes right over the top of you. Back up to stop Tony's passing, and Murray will punch you in the mouth.

It's a catch 22 that has made our offense go all season. Weeden completely shot that to hell, and Arizona had an easy time of it. Then, with the Dallas offense unable to keep possession of the ball, the defense (who started out playing well) started wearing down.

As long as Romo is back, we will be ok. With Weeden though... Defenses will shut down the run game, time of possession will go haywire, and the defense will tire and eventually fall apart.

Here is to Romo staying healthy.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
It's very time consuming and takes a lot of energy to really focus on the details of a game. I spend hours every week reviewing the Cowboys games and each time I review it again I see something that I didn't notice the first time. I can't imagine trying to review a large number of games every week.

Also, if you review a team that you have not spent a lot of time reviewing in previous games, then it's difficult to know how that game compares to the previous ones. I think the more that people have reviewed the Cowboys games this season, the easier it is to see that Weeden was the primary problem in the game.

You can try to run against a run D like AZ and then with 8-9 in the box but if it doesn't work quickly then you pass the ball on first. That's not something we've done a lot this year. Teams see you run the ball and see Murray with the big numbers. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out you need to adjust your offense. You always go where they ain't.

Bungarian

Butt Monkey
Reaction score
So according to him if Romo was healthy and playing the results would have been the same since the problem was the running game

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
PFR play index has a 14/12 pass run ratio. It was 7/10 pass to run through the 1st 3 quarters. That last drive skewed the numbers a bit.

Murray YPC on 1st down through the first 8 games - 5.79. Against ARZ - 2.4.

Heck, as a team they came into the ARZ game averaging 6.42 yards per play on 1st. Only managed 3.65 Sunday.

That's actually good to know. Hard to blame the coaching staff for doing something that they had been incredibly consistent on throughout the year.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So according to him if Romo was healthy and playing the results would have been the same since the problem was the running game

Yeah, forget the fact that the defense can play the run more with Romo out.

I saw a stat this morning. Murray faced a loaded box (more than you can block) on 16% of his carries up to the Cardinals game. It was closer to 40% against the Cardinals.

That, Jaws, sorta has to do with the QB. They challenged him to beat them and he couldn't.

This post should get a lot of likes. It's well thought out and pretty well written.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah, forget the fact that the defense can play the run more with Romo out.

I saw a stat this morning. Murray faced a loaded box (more than you can block) on 16% of his carries up to the Cardinals game. It was closer to 40% against the Cardinals.

That, Jaws, sorta has to do with the QB. They challenged him to beat them and he couldn't.

This post should get a lot of likes. It's well thought out and pretty well written.

He also did not get many opportunities to throw on 1st down, results may have been the same but I will not lay it on Weeden if they failed to throw the ball on 1st down that was not Weeden call to make.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Weeden basically gave the Cowboys virtually zero chance of winning.

It's Football 101. The Cardinals were set on taking away the run by stacking 8 and 9 in the box. They had zero repercussions for doing so because Weeden could not beat them with his arm when stacking 8-9 in the box is a favorable position for the passing game to be in.

I would consider the Washington loss more of a team effort. The QB didn't play well, but neither did the receivers and the defense along with costly turnovers by Murray and Randle.

This loss against Arizona was set in motion and revolved around Weeden's incompetence.

YR

Exactly. They were able to stop us from doing what we do best, but at the cost of putting everybody in the box. And we couldn't adjust because we got awful play from the backup QB. Whatever Jaws thinks he's seeing on tape, he's pretty obviously wrong on this one. Even so, this was a four point game midway through the third, with the team driving twice and unable to convert on short yardage. It's really obvious what cost us v. AZ.

The Washington loss was a team effort between the protection breakdowns and Tony not getting his protections right and with the drops by Dez, Witten, and Williams. Fumbles by both RBs. Just an all around poor offensive outing.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Jaws knows more about this game than the combined intellect of this board. I still marvel at how people equate the person who brings the message as an idiot just because they disagree with the message.

If that were truly the case, one might make the argument CowboyZone is idiot central. Just sayin'.

Um, it was weeden. Amazing how romo can throw a pic at the wrong time and is a lifelong choker yet weeden should thank GOD there was turf to eventually stop the fall of his throws and its not his fault.

Jaws sucks more.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Jaws knows more about this game than the combined intellect of this board. I still marvel at how people equate the person who brings the message as an idiot just because they disagree with the message.

If that were truly the case, one might make the argument CowboyZone is idiot central. Just sayin'.

He is clearly a color analyst with inspiration from the enquirer. His knowledge,however great, does not apply here.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Exactly. They were able to stop us from doing what we do best, but at the cost of putting everybody in the box. And we couldn't adjust because we got awful play from the backup QB. Whatever Jaws thinks he's seeing on tape, he's pretty obviously wrong on this one. Even so, this was a four point game midway through the third, with the team driving twice and unable to convert on short yardage. It's really obvious what cost us v. AZ.

The Washington loss was a team effort between the protection breakdowns and Tony not getting his protections right and with the drops by Dez, Witten, and Williams. Fumbles by both RBs. Just an all around poor offensive outing.

It's so ridiculous because Beasley was open. Weeden would be talked about in a completely different light. Because we probably win the game. The drives would have been extended.

He took snap, had Dez in mind, he didn't see anything else because he didn't even attempt to read the field.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Have you looked at the film and do you agree with the message?

Or is this one of your many unsubstantiated attacks on the overall board personality. You haven't even added to the discussion.

He was right. We continually tried to run the ball on first down to no avail. I'm always for running the ball, but Arizona knew we were going to run and they stacked the box every down. We should've thrown more on first down because the defense was giving that to us. If Weeden was not capable of making the throws, then it's on the coaching staff and front office for having him signed as the # 2.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

Even when Jaws was 'good' (again, this was about 15 years ago), he still made every excuse possible for a QB. During that time I could understand that as a character flaw, but in the past 10 years I'm more skeptical about his motives and I could see him using that to rile up Cowboys fans.

Either way, the joke is on him because he looks like a moron saying don't blame Weeden.

YR