Jaylon looks impaired when he runs

pitt33

Reaction score
I've been saying that for the last two years, that knee injury was bad bad bad and he'll NEVER be 100% and I also said I would have NEVER drafted him that high maybe not at all!
This.

Thank you Coach.

Now I don't have to type the same thing.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
He just doesn't have good instincts.

Maybe he's not 100%, maybe he is. That has nothing to do with his inability to read a play.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
That’s why he was so desperate for a new contract. Rumors are he knew his knee regressed. Last year he looked like a completely different player.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with Smith’s legs at all. He still flashes big time speed. Rare speed. His issue is that it is clear he does not take his job seriously. How can he when he is selling his sunglasses during the week. Smith plays like a guy that watches next to no game film. He plays like a guy that does not work on technique. Always out of position. Always crossing his feet. Never square. Never anticipates. Never sees the play develop and reacts with power. He never fills a gap. Overruns a dozen plays a game. He routinely takes a circular route to make a play. Never stands anyone up. Never blows up a blocker. He will blow up a team mate coming into a tackle late. Always chasing. Routinely avoids tackles. Does not want to make the routine play.

Nothing wrong with his leg at all. He plays like a guy not accountable to anyone. A guy that does not work on becoming a great LB. It’s his attitude and lack of focus on football that is the problem.

I don't see the flashes of speed. I see a guy hauling a piano on his back. It's painful watching him run at times.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with Smith’s legs at all. He still flashes big time speed. Rare speed. His issue is that it is clear he does not take his job seriously. How can he when he is selling his sunglasses during the week. Smith plays like a guy that watches next to no game film. He plays like a guy that does not work on technique. Always out of position. Always crossing his feet. Never square. Never anticipates. Never sees the play develop and reacts with power. He never fills a gap. Overruns a dozen plays a game. He routinely takes a circular route to make a play. Never stands anyone up. Never blows up a blocker. He will blow up a team mate coming into a tackle late. Always chasing. Routinely avoids tackles. Does not want to make the routine play.

Nothing wrong with his leg at all. He plays like a guy not accountable to anyone. A guy that does not work on becoming a great LB. It’s his attitude and lack of focus on football that is the problem.

At times he looks like the try hard borderline talent dude that runs a 4.9 forty.

coult44

Reaction score
He looked way faster and quicker last year. I saw him in coverage Sunday and he looked to be limping.

He’s never played without a limp here. We were lead to believe he was 100% but that was never the case. If he were 100% then I’d be more upset about how bad he is.

CB61

Reaction score
Once you have drop foot it never gets better I knew a few people that have had it of course they are older than Jalen but it's one injury that's hard to overcome? To walk again it's one thing to play football is another yes I know he had a nerve damaged in his knee drop foot is what resulted from that as a side effect oh, whether the nerve grows back or not

twc562

Reaction score
That’s why he was so desperate for a new contract. Rumors are he knew his knee regressed. Last year he looked like a completely different player.
Just curious, how did you hear that regarding his knee? I'm not doubting it. It's certainly plausible. I just don't understand how his knee would get worse from 18 to 19 but it certainly appears it did.

CWR

Reaction score
I just dont get why he has fallen so far in one offseason. Jaylon Vander Esch looked prime to become a devastating pair last season but oh how the mighty have fallen

This is why I am hoping against hope that they can right the ship next year with a better coach and scheme. I know what I saw last season. I saw those two flying all over the field and making plays. I think a big part of our problem is the DL not keeping them clean.

We also MUST have coaches that hold these guys accountable in all areas. Id love an old school type coach that doesn't tolerate the shenanigans these guys pull. Id have loved for a coach to pull Jaylon to the side after he posted his "vote for me" probowl crap, just to show him film and be honest with him about what he needs to do if he wants to be recognized at that level. Instead we have a staff that puts together a highlight film and continues to tell them how great they are.

How many times have you heard various players on the team mention how talented they are??

Constantly all season the players have mentioned what a talented group this is and how they just need to focus ect. If I am a coach hearing that crap it pisses me off. That bit makes the coaches sound incompetent (which they are.) Id have sat them down and said everyone in this league is talented, you arent special. Its work ethic, film study and heart that make players special. Instead we just keep telling then how great they are and throwing money at em. Hence the self entitlement.

yentl911

Reaction score
If you can’t change direction and have hip flexibility at the LB position in today’s game you are a liability

he’s a damn robot

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Just curious, how did you hear that regarding his knee? I'm not doubting it. It's certainly plausible. I just don't understand how his knee would get worse from 18 to 19 but it certainly appears it did.

He is making crap up .....