Jaylon looks impaired when he runs

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
To sum it up...pathetic LOSER
There is nothing wrong with Smith’s legs at all. He still flashes big time speed. Rare speed. His issue is that it is clear he does not take his job seriously. How can he when he is selling his sunglasses during the week. Smith plays like a guy that watches next to no game film. He plays like a guy that does not work on technique. Always out of position. Always crossing his feet. Never square. Never anticipates. Never sees the play develop and reacts with power. He never fills a gap. Overruns a dozen plays a game. He routinely takes a circular route to make a play. Never stands anyone up. Never blows up a blocker. He will blow up a team mate coming into a tackle late. Always chasing. Routinely avoids tackles. Does not want to make the routine play.

Nothing wrong with his leg at all. He plays like a guy not accountable to anyone. A guy that does not work on becoming a great LB. It’s his attitude and lack of focus on football that is the problem.
He has straight line speed...but he has no breaks. And unfortunately for him..football is not played in straight line...people do try to make you miss!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He looked way faster and quicker last year. I saw him in coverage Sunday and he looked to be limping.

this is NOT new

Yep. I've been saying it since early in the season.

1) When he runs hard straight there is a hitch in his gait.
2) He has trouble breaking down from a forward run.
3) I've seen his foot catch on the turf when he's trying to break down, and he stumbles.

Lots of people doubted it at first. Not so many doubt it anymore. Jaylon ain't right.

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Just curious, how did you hear that regarding his knee? I'm not doubting it. It's certainly plausible. I just don't understand how his knee would get worse from 18 to 19 but it certainly appears it did.

Easy to injure muscles that are weak and not fully enervated by your nerves. Maybe a specific injury. Maybe something that came with taking off the foot orthotic. Just chronic strain on a weak and poorly activated muscle.

I wonder if he is still wearing the orthotic, and when he took it off if he isn't anymore. I think in the summer they said he "can" play without it. Doesn't mean that he is playing without it or should.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Easy to injure muscles that are weak and not fully enervated by your nerves. Maybe a specific injury. Maybe something that came with taking off the foot orthotic. Just chronic strain on a weak and poorly activated muscle.

I wonder if he is still wearing the orthotic, and when he took it off if he isn't anymore. I think in the summer they said he "can" play without it. Doesn't mean that he is playing without it or should.

2016 he sat out
2017 he played with a brace
2018 he played without a brace
2019 he’s presumably playing without a brace

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Yep. I've been saying it since early in the season.

1) When he runs hard straight there is a hitch in his gait.
2) He has trouble breaking down from a forward run.
3) I've seen his foot catch on the turf when he's trying to break down, and he stumbles.

Lots of people doubted it at first. Not so many doubt it anymore. Jaylon ain't right.

That's like buying a used car that is a lemon. Once you drive off the lot with it's your. We have paid him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He looked way faster and quicker last year. I saw him in coverage Sunday and he looked to be limping.

I don't see it.

He gained weight and plays like expected for a LB in that weight range.

Probably 260 this year. There was a pic of Jaylon, DLaw and Quinn together in street clothes. Jaylon has to be in the Quinn weight range if not bigger.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
I give him credit for making it back from his injury.

But he will never be what he could’ve been. He’s damaged goods and the NFL is nothing more than a springboard to his business ventures.

It’s whatever at this point.

817Gill

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure nerves don’t degenerate after regeneration. If he got back to 100% health in his nerve (which he seemed to do last season), then I don’t think it’s physically possible for it to degenerate without another nerve-damaging injury.

Seems to be mental lapses, more film on him to exploit weaknesses, and a schematic dissonance that employs small DT’s and small LB’s. Can’t have both lol either you have small DT’s and big LB’s (New England this year) or big DT’s and small LB’s that can run (think Jags D 2017 with Myles Jack and Telvin Smith)

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
That’s why he was so desperate for a new contract. Rumors are he knew his knee regressed. Last year he looked like a completely different player.
This can't be true because the doctor who'd know about the regression (that did his surgery and recovery) is also the team doctor.

It's lack of killer instinct for a position that requires it and business decisions.

He would have been a bust if he was drafted top 5 unhurt

Whyjerry

Reaction score
He has straight line speed...but he has no breaks. And unfortunately for him..football is not played in straight line...people do try to make you miss!

Nope. Guy just doesn’t focus on football and his technique. Nobody complained about his leg last season when he was a wrecking ball. He got his contract and has allowed stardom to get to his head.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Nope. Guy just doesn’t focus on football and his technique. Nobody complained about his leg last season when he was a wrecking ball. He got his contract and has allowed stardom to get to his head.
A wrecking ball?! Dont be fooled by highlights! He made a few big plays. The basic down in and down out plays a LBer are supposed to make...has he EVER consistently made those? I can tell you he has made them about 10% of the time this year. His play is so comical..I am wondering aloud if the Cowboys are trolling us and the rest of the NFL. Everyone in the lockeroom can see it...the opposition can see it...and we trot him out there play after play? He celebrates AFTER someone gains big yardage and he tackles them. He arrives to the pile AFTER the tackle is made and acts like he made the play. He spins around the middle of the field like a top not sure where the ball is. He is asking to be a Pro Bowler on a losing team and his play is beyond garbage. He wonders what the criteria is to make the Pro Bowl once he says the guys that made it. Guys that are BETTER than him by a mile. Whose teams are playing well. His play and lack of self awareness just leaves me puzzled. Don't be late to the party. Don't be the last too the party to realize his play will not change with different coaches. He looks like a clown on the football field.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I like Jaylon Smith but something is clearly off.

His contract extension was much more about Jerry validating himself than any need to lock Jaylon up. He would have been a restricted free agent this off-season. Could have kept him on rookie deal this past season and a reasonable one-year tender in 2020.

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
It's all of the above.

I don't really blame him for the physical limitations. To come back from the injury he had is nothing short of miraculous.

However his technique and his reactions are beyond awful. He takes himself out of so many plays and much of it is because he doesn't like contact.

The worst part of this all is that Jones decided to pay him like a top 3 LB and he is nowhere near that. He is a borderline starter.

He plays like a bully.

He only likes to hit smaller guys or guys who don’t see him coming. If there is a guard coming towards him in the gap this scheme requires him to fill, most times he will try to go around and leave a gaping hole for the opposing running back to skate through. He is a style over substance player who plays for woo hits, fame and accolades. He doesn’t like the dirty work that the middle linebacker position requires. He lacks the right amount of crazy to be a top notch lb. But you can’t tell him he ain’t the .

He is the bizarro world Rolando McClain.

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
A wrecking ball?! Dont be fooled by highlights! He made a few big plays. The basic down in and down out plays a LBer are supposed to make...has he EVER consistently made those? I can tell you he has made them about 10% of the time this year. His play is so comical..I am wondering aloud if the Cowboys are trolling us and the rest of the NFL. Everyone in the lockeroom can see it...the opposition can see it...and we trot him out there play after play? He celebrates AFTER someone gains big yardage and he tackles them. He arrives to the pile AFTER the tackle is made and acts like he made the play. He spins around the middle of the field like a top not sure where the ball is. He is asking to be a Pro Bowler on a losing team and his play is beyond garbage. He wonders what the criteria is to make the Pro Bowl once he says the guys that made it. Guys that are BETTER than him by a mile. Whose teams are playing well. His play and lack of self awareness just leaves me puzzled. Don't be late to the party. Don't be the last too the party to realize his play will not change with different coaches. He looks like a clown on the football field.

Not one lie told...

Wood

Reaction score

this was first brought up by Shan & RJ (105.3) early in the season...to my surprise. Then Jerry few weeks later extends his contract.

streetcredit

Reaction score
you should be a scout....I can't even focus on him as it pisses me off.
I would rather the Cowboys resign Sean Lee to a 5 year 40 million dollar contract