Video: Jaylon moves like he is over 60 around the 8 min mark

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I'm all for criticizing Jaylon, but no I didn't see it either. I saw a play he wasn't involved in. That's not to say maybe he shouldn't have moved faster, but of all the flaws harped on here this one wasn't as damning imo. Now if he wants to repost the video of Jaylon hitting the sled I'm all in. That was embarrassing as hell.
Yeah, that's when all the talk began, worthy or not.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
IMO, the problem with 54, errr 9, is not that he’s overpaid and ineffective (he is), it’s that he acts like he’s an all-world player.

It’s almost as if he thinks he’s pulling the wool over everyone’s eyes or using the Jedi mind trick to make us think he’s as good as he says he is (remember him saying, “watch the tape.”)

Combine that with the swipe and the fact that anytime someone makes a play and runs to the end zone to showboat, Jaylon’s right there putting himself in the spotlight, which only causes people to criticize him even more.

I suspect most normal people would just play it low-keyed as not call attention to themselves, yet he’s the complete opposite.

It makes him look clueless or foolish and is not at all endearing.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
He is running like an over weight kid on a High School team. Sheesh!
fat-albert-dancing.gif

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I'm all for criticizing Jaylon, but no I didn't see it either. I saw a play he wasn't involved in. That's not to say maybe he shouldn't have moved faster, but of all the flaws harped on here this one wasn't as damning imo. Now if he wants to repost the video of Jaylon hitting the sled I'm all in. That was embarrassing as hell.
Jaylon was the first defensive player on the scene that wasn't involved in the actual play. There are better videos out there if you want to start a bash Jaylon thread.

Reactions: CWR

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That should be gait.. and yes it is.. I don't know if the leg is giving him trouble or maybe he's just playing with a huge brace on it so as not to get it hurt during preseason but there is a definite hitch in his gitalong. It's a fact of life for Jaylon that there are some things that he used to be able to do that just won't be there after that injury. He's obviously never going to be the player he could have been before the injury. However that doesn't mean he can't play.. He just has to play differently.

Jaylon's gait was labored going back to early 2019. Subtle at first, but it grew and grew.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Jaylon's gait was labored going back to early 2019. Subtle at first, but it grew and grew.

So we know Dr. Cooper expressed optimism in Jaylon's full recovery which gave Jerry/Stephen confidence to make the risky pick in the 2nd round. Im wondering if they ever considered or had any expectation of a regression AFTER recovery. Like you said, it's been a gradual yet noticeable decline in that leg since somewhere during that 2019 season.

kumizi

Reaction score
For better or for worse MLB is Jaylon's BEST position by far. It puts him in position to read, react and run generally in one direction. Where he has trouble is changing directions. Which is why putting him on one side or the other can be an issue. If he reads a key that starts inside then has to switch up and chase in the other direction he's screwed. The only time having him on the outside makes sense is if he's rushing the passer. Again... running in one direction. One thing I will say though.. If Jaylon stinks so bad.. what does it say about the rest of the guys when he is far and away the leading tackler on the defense? I'm not saying he's an all pro... but if he leads the team in tackles again while all these other "better" players are out there folks may have to reassess a bit.
It doesn’t say anything. Tackles don’t mean anything. You’re stuck in the last millennium whether it comes to Zeke rushing yards or Jaylon tackles.

cowboyed

Reaction score
His leg is essentially shot. Add in questionable instincts and the reality that he probably never should have been put at MLB and you see what you see.

He's as good as gone next offseason.

Is Plaxico Buress at it again!

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I hope I move that well when I’m 60.

But yeah, he doesn’t look good for an NFL LB. Unless he suddenly looks really good really quickly, he’s done after this year.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
It doesn’t say anything. Tackles don’t mean anything. You’re stuck in the last millennium whether it comes to Zeke rushing yards or Jaylon tackles.

That's funny... So you're contending that Jaylon making all these tackles allegedly 8 yards down the field doesn't say anything about the other guys? So it would be better if he sloughed off and didn't make those tackles at 9 or 10 yards down the field? Okay.. let's run with that.. He was stopping those other great players from making the tackles.. Selfish bastid.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
I'm not saying he's an all pro... but if he leads the team in tackles again while all these other "better" players are out there folks may have to reassess a bit.
To be fair he played a vast majority of the snaps and its the nature of the position - your MLB should be leading the team in tackles.

The better ones makes them closer to the line of scrimmage.

2018 he absolutely balled out and everyone thought he was fully back from the knee injury, unfortunately since then we can all see something is up.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
For better or for worse MLB is Jaylon's BEST position by far. It puts him in position to read, react and run generally in one direction. Where he has trouble is changing directions. Which is why putting him on one side or the other can be an issue. If he reads a key that starts inside then has to switch up and chase in the other direction he's screwed. The only time having him on the outside makes sense is if he's rushing the passer. Again... running in one direction. One thing I will say though.. If Jaylon stinks so bad.. what does it say about the rest of the guys when he is far and away the leading tackler on the defense? I'm not saying he's an all pro... but if he leads the team in tackles again while all these other "better" players are out there folks may have to reassess a bit.

Our defense was so bad last year because we were getting blown right up the middle against the run. The middle was where Jaylon was supposed to make the tackle. Unfortunately, its like 5-9 yards downfield. This isn't a testament to Jaylon's abilities or skills. It's a testament to how bad we really were in trying to stop the run.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Our defense was so bad last year because we were getting blown right up the middle against the run. The middle was where Jaylon was supposed to make the tackle. Unfortunately, its like 5-9 yards downfield. This isn't a testament to Jaylon's abilities or skills. It's a testament to how bad we really were in trying to stop the run.

Just FYI, LVE was the mike for most of the season in 2020. Jaylon only played the middle when LVE was hurt. LVE was at MLB for 10 games and had 60 tackles (32 solo) .. an average of 6 per game. Jaylon played will for 10 games and mike for 6 and had 154 tackles (89 solo).. an average of nearly 10 a game. Jaylon also had 5 TFLs.. which led all the Cowboys linebackers.. So it's entirely possible that a lot of the "5-9 yards downfield" tackles were because he was running down plays that went away from him while somebody else on the inside missed the tackle.... Just sayin.. I stand by my assertion that if the Cowboys put Jaylon at mike and put halfway decent guys in front of him he will be just fine. Not great.. not all world.. but fine..

RonnieT24

Reaction score
To be fair he played a vast majority of the snaps and its the nature of the position - your MLB should be leading the team in tackles.

The better ones makes them closer to the line of scrimmage.

2018 he absolutely balled out and everyone thought he was fully back from the knee injury, unfortunately since then we can all see something is up.

Tell that to LVE .. he made 10 starts at MLB. Jaylon only played there when LVE was out.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
He's also been no better since 2018 - both fell off the cliff.

The bottom line is that whether playing in the middle or on the outside Jaylon has generally finished with damn near double the number of tackles of the next leading tackler on this team. I could be wrong but I think he'll do okay this year provided the big uglies up front don't suck as bad as they have the last two years.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
The bottom line is that whether playing in the middle or on the outside Jaylon has generally finished with damn near double the number of tackles of the next leading tackler on this team. I could be wrong but I think he'll do okay this year provided the big uglies up front don't suck as bad as they have the last two years.
Thats the funny part - the DL IIRC was basically the same from 2018 to 2019 - what happened.

I remembering thinking to my self in 2018 - these guys are playing some good smart ball - I thinking Lee must have locked them up in the film room.

That game against the Saints - I could swear they had their playbook - those guys were just filling holes and reacting like nobodies business.

Since then, it seems like they're reacting much slower like they haven't watched a lick of film.

Reactions: CWR