Video: Jaylon moves like he is over 60 around the 8 min mark

kumizi

Reaction score
That's funny... So you're contending that Jaylon making all these tackles allegedly 8 yards down the field doesn't say anything about the other guys? So it would be better if he sloughed off and didn't make those tackles at 9 or 10 yards down the field? Okay.. let's run with that.. He was stopping those other great players from making the tackles.. Selfish bastid.
I didnt say anything about 8 yards down the field. I said the tackles stat has no meaning. Can you tell me who led the league in tackles last year? No one cares because it's not relevant.

You obviously have internet access. Maybe you should try reading a little bit about the game.

Tell me who led the Chiefs, Bucs, Bills, and Packers in tackles or rushing yards. ITS NOT IMPORTANT

Last edited:

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I understand that totally but, his gate is labored. I don't care about that play. Did you see how bad he got beat to the outside in the AZ game? That back runs in the 4.5s and jaylon didn't have a chance.
Jaylon was watching the QB run and trying to watch the back at the same time. Once the QB seen Jaylon stop there QB from running he tossed it to the back. It's not like Jaylon was covering the back and got burnt. Not sure if his assignment was the back or QB but that's what it looked to me.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
So we know Dr. Cooper expressed optimism in Jaylon's full recovery which gave Jerry/Stephen confidence to make the risky pick in the 2nd round. Im wondering if they ever considered or had any expectation of a regression AFTER recovery. Like you said, it's been a gradual yet noticeable decline in that leg since somewhere during that 2019 season.

That's a good question. Jaylon's "recovery" included a career shortening degeneration. And at least one Doctor considered it predictable. Given that, Myles Jack should have been the clear preference over Jaylon.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Yeah I agree he's got a problem with the leg. There's no denying that. But I also know the coaches see it as well.
naw they don't see it, your trained talent eye is the only one who could recognize this. good job.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The bottom line is this- Jaylon's movement, his explosion, his speed, basically everything is compromised to some degree by the leg. We may have seen his best post-injury football in 2018 and since then the deterioration has started to set in. It's a real tragedy since he was an athletic marvel at Notre Dame and we could be talking about one of the elite linebackers in the game right now if it weren't for that injury.

I don't fault the Cowboys for taking him in the second round in 2016 since for a while it appeared they stole a top ten talent. But they really should have held off on that huge contract extension. I really wish Smith the best and maybe, just maybe he has a bounce back year. But right now the Cowboys' top three LB's are Parsons, Neal, and LVE. At this point the Cowboys could even accept a late round pick for Smith in a trade if some cap-rich team wants to gamble and take on his contract.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I love me some Jaylon but the staff has to see what we see. It was almost painful to watch.

Jaylon moves like he is over 60. :(

He made alot of tackles last year but it was 4,5,6 yards off the ball. He did a lot of catching instead of delivering the hit.

Why do you love jaylon? I can’t stand the guy.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Thats the funny part - the DL IIRC was basically the same from 2018 to 2019 - what happened.

I remembering thinking to my self in 2018 - these guys are playing some good smart ball - I thinking Lee must have locked them up in the film room.

That game against the Saints - I could swear they had their playbook - those guys were just filling holes and reacting like nobodies business.

Since then, it seems like they're reacting much slower like they haven't watched a lick of film.

Yeah I have no rational explanation for what happened to the defensive front between '18 and '19. I mean we know what went wrong in 2020.. It was a comedy of errors. They put Crawford at DT coming off double hip surgery and trimming down to 265 pounds to play outside.. They somehow convinced themselves that Poe had something left. They decided that Demarcus Lawrence and Everson Griffen, lifelong 4-3 DEs could convert to standup OLBs overnight.. with no training camp and no preseason.. Genius I tell you. Still the only thing I can think of that might have caused the 2019 regression was ironically the offense going more pass happy and being less about ball control. I always maintained that the defensive numbers were a bit inflated because the offense was regularly possessing the ball, shortening the game and up until Moore took over the play calling, almost always scoring on their opening drive thus allowing the defense to play from ahead more often than not. The slow starts on offense really did not start until 2019 and that coincided with the defensive decline. I don't think that was a coincidence.

Praxit

Reaction score
I don't know about that. There was nothing tricky about that play. Both the QB and the RB went in the same direction. It's a basic high school play. Most of preseason is basic stuff. All the LB has to do is move to his left and keep up with the RB. It's done all of the time. Jaylon was just slow to react and very slow in pursuit. I would think most LBs wouldn't have a problem. The RB doesn't have the advantage here. Or else all teams would have to do is roll out swing passes all game.
...the RB clocks at 4.5
I understand that totally but, his gate is labored. I don't care about that play. Did you see how bad he got beat to the outside in the AZ game? That back runs in the 4.5s and jaylon didn't have a chance.
...I think that back beats 90% of LB's in the league. Only way to counter it is good defense play.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
So we know Dr. Cooper expressed optimism in Jaylon's full recovery which gave Jerry/Stephen confidence to make the risky pick in the 2nd round. Im wondering if they ever considered or had any expectation of a regression AFTER recovery. Like you said, it's been a gradual yet noticeable decline in that leg since somewhere during that 2019 season.

Dr. Cooper was trying to sell Jerry on a sports medicine center. Being able to identify lesser risks because of Dr. Coopers relationship with players would have to be very appealing to Jerry. It was to me. But it introduce inherent bias for downplaying injuries, and thereby delivering more *deals*. The deals get delivered up front. The *mistakes* are only found out years after the sports medicine center gets built.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Just FYI, LVE was the mike for most of the season in 2020. Jaylon only played the middle when LVE was hurt. LVE was at MLB for 10 games and had 60 tackles (32 solo) .. an average of 6 per game. Jaylon played will for 10 games and mike for 6 and had 154 tackles (89 solo).. an average of nearly 10 a game. Jaylon also had 5 TFLs.. which led all the Cowboys linebackers.. So it's entirely possible that a lot of the "5-9 yards downfield" tackles were because he was running down plays that went away from him while somebody else on the inside missed the tackle.... Just sayin.. I stand by my assertion that if the Cowboys put Jaylon at mike and put halfway decent guys in front of him he will be just fine. Not great.. not all world.. but fine..

Quite possibly there were lots of miss tackles because they weren't able to hold up their gaps and secondly, just was not communicating well enough to know their assignments.

I think that is now water under the bridge. I'm still not a fan on Jaylon. Just that he seems that winning isn't his main priority. It seems that it was money. I know that the main constant is that his production has went downhill after he got his contract. He surely can play better than what's his been showing. But I feel maybe he just doesn't care that much.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I feel bad for Jaylon. Before his injury he was a dominant LB. It all came crashing down in just a few seconds. Credit him for working his *** off in rehab to get back to where he was his rookie year. Played well enough early to get a good contract. You can say what you like about the sun glasses and fur coats but he seems like a genuinely good guy trying to make the best of his situation. Can’t blame him. I do blame Jerry for spending a 2nd rd pick and the Dr.’s telling Jerry his ok.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
jaylon is a 4 cylinder car running on 3 cylinders. you don't feel sorry for the motor because it once was good you get a new one. this one has a cracked block. time to throw it in the scrap metal box and move, on or you can wrap it in a fur coat and put sunglasses on it. And don't even try to put lipstick on it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Unreal. We literally have a physically handicapped person playing MLB for us and no one in the front office seems to care.
its Jerry. he has business relationship with Jaylon and his business side is taking over his brain yet again.....Jaylon should be cut or on the bench. he shouldn't get much playing time because of his contract.