Twitter: Jaylon Smith Can Bowl Again

Verdict

Reaction score
Sorry I couldn't resist.

suAzWyC.png

I will have to say, I don't get the "clear eye view" thing. I have high hopes for the player but that saying is sort of ********.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
As crazy as this sounds......my wanting to draft a linebacker isn't because of Jaylon Smith. Sure there's a uncertainty there but reasoning is more so for Sean Lee. This team shouldn't be reliant on him to play 16 games a year because he won't. So factor in Lee's body and even Jaylon's......linebacker is a high need for me. I'm blindly putting my faith in Jaylon being ready this year. But can I do the same for Sean Lee's health?

That's fine, but what do you do this year if you take a linebacker in the first? Do you bench Lee so you can fully justify the pick and just make him a part-time player? I certainly don't believe that you do since Lee is one of our best defensive players? Do you bench Jaylon? That would be a waste of using the second-round pick on a first-round talent. Do you only use the first-rounder as a part-time player?

For me, if there's an equally talented player we need to be a full-time starter this year available in the first, I want that guy. We can roll the dice and try to find someone in the later rounds who might turn into Lee's replacement because we've got a little time. I'm talking about using three picks from the fourth round on to draft depth at the position.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think the only LB the Cowboys would take at 19 is Roquan Smith. That would be all about what kind of talent he is along with Lee not having a ton of years left. But not likely he would be there anyway.

Yes, but if someone like Vita Vea is also there, give me the big, strong DT who can make our current starting LBs even better.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok he can bowl....the real question....can he play football at a high level?

Look, I love Jaylon Smith. He’s a proven high character, hard working young man. The “right kind of guy”. But it remains to be seen if he can play LB in the NFL on a consistently high level. I’m definitely pulling for the guy.

But it would be lunacy in my opinion to not draft a talented LB in the upcoming draft.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Yes, but if someone like Vita Vea is also there, give me the big, strong DT who can make our current starting LBs even better.
They would likely take many other positions over 1T including Hurst the 3T. Defense is all about pass rush with the 3T the most important position.

Vea is a NT, which 3-4 teams are going to value more than 4-3 teams.

gimmesix

Reaction score
This is what someone satisfied with a 9-7 and a playoff miss would be saying.

First, we may not have a strongside LBer. And second, the two players you are claiming should be starters are not exactly reliable and/or have a very short shelf life to come.

No. Someone not satisfied with 9-7 is saying fix one of the positions that really needs to be fixed now. Our depth at linebacker ends at three players, so add three later in the draft, which improves our changes of hitting on one.

Replacing players who are better than what we've got at other position is a surefire way to tread water. You've got to take some chances in other to improve and I'd rather chance Lee's health and Smith's improvement (which we saw some of) than Brian Price or Richard Ash becoming quality NTs, Heath, Jones, Frazier and Woods being the answers at safety, our WR corps suddenly getting better or our TE suddenly becoming a deep threat. I'd even fix the offensive line, getting another stud guard before I'd worry about Lee, Smith and Wilson.

As I said, we definitely need depth at linebacker, but our need for a starter is much greater at other positions right now. Understand, though, that I'm not saying pass on a linebacker if some top 10 player falls to us at 19. Looking at rankings, let's say Roquan Smith and Derwin James were both available when we pick (they should be long gone, but I'm trying to pick two players of equal talent), I take the safety because we have a higher need at that position.

gimmesix

Reaction score
They would likely take many other positions over 1T including Hurst the 3T. Defense is all about pass rush with the 3T the most important position.

Vea is a NT, which 3-4 teams are going to value more than 4-3 teams.

I agree that they would. I absolutely wouldn't. As long as we keep Irving, Vea could be the final piece to making this line what it needs to be. He's could be Dallas' Booger McFarland. Hurst would just be a replacement for Irving.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I agree that they would. I absolutely wouldn't. As long as we keep Irving, Vea could be the final piece to making this line what it needs to be. He's could be Dallas' Booger McFarland. Hurst would just be a replacement for Irving.
Sapp is what made the Tampa defense go, not McFarland. There are plenty of McFarlands out there.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can you imagine Lee and Jaylon running around behind him making plays all day? I can!

gimmesix

Reaction score
We could draft a player for the strong side who can eventually replace lee
But I’m not convinced right now LB is gonna be the position where the best talent will be at 19

We could, but then we're making someone a part-time player this year. That's not all bad because of Lee's health and the uncertainty about Jaylon. I just want more bang for the buck.

IMO, the defense isn't better if you are just subbing someone in for Lee or for Jaylon. It remains static. The defense is better if you replace a weak link. Now, I don't believe Wilson is great so we would be getting those plays out of the first-rounder, which would be the only justification for taking one. However, I believe Wilson on the strong side is better than Heath or Jones or Frazier in the secondary. I believe getting an NT strengthens our defense more than a part-time player who also would replace Lee or Smith on some downs.

Because we have Lee and Smith as starters, I think we have time to see if we can find cheaper players who can contribute there than to use our first-rounder this year. Those later-round picks would start off as depth with hope that at least one becomes more than that. And if not, then we get serious about finding Lee's replacement when we really need to.

Again, this absolutely doesn't mean we pass on a player at that position who is much better than any other available. It just means that I don't believe linebacker is a priority to where we take one in the first round even if there's an equal player at a greater position of need.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Still got it tho!!! That turkey train!

GOBBLE GOBBLE WOOOOOOOOO WOOOOOOOOO!

gimmesix

Reaction score
Sapp is what made the Tampa defense go, not McFarland. There are plenty of McFarlands out there.

McFarland helped make the Tampa Bay defense stout enough to carry a so-so offense to the Super Bowl. Tampa took him with the 15th pick because it didn't believe there are plenty of McFarlands out there. He was a great complimentary piece to put next to Sapp that helped the whole line be better.

I'm not disagreeing that Sapp was the centerpiece, but I think that Irving showed he can be that player. The funny thing is some seem to want to replace Irving because of things like his recent tweet when Sapp was more of a character issue than Irving will ever be. Imagine if Tampa had let Sapp go because he was an outspoken jerk.

conner01

Reaction score
McFarland helped make the Tampa Bay defense stout enough to carry a so-so offense to the Super Bowl. Tampa took him with the 15th pick because it didn't believe there are plenty of McFarlands out there. He was a great complimentary piece to put next to Sapp that helped the whole line be better.

I'm not disagreeing that Sapp was the centerpiece, but I think that Irving showed he can be that player. The funny thing is some seem to want to replace Irving because of things like his recent tweet when Sapp was more of a character issue than Irving will ever be. Imagine if Tampa had let Sapp go because he was an outspoken jerk.
Many fans under value what a guy like McFarland do because it doesn’t show on stat sheet. They demand double teams and protect the LB’s
They don’t look important on a stat sheet but they are extremely valuable and make guys like Sapp much better