Twitter: Jaylon Smith Can Bowl Again

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Can you imagine Lee and Jaylon running around behind him making plays all day? I can!

I think either him or DaRon Payne being available is our best bet to fill a need with a player worthy of the pick. It's possible both will be gone, though. After that, the best value for us might be at guard unless someone falls.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Many fans under value what a guy like McFarland do because it doesn’t show on stat sheet. They demand double teams and protect the LB’s
They don’t look important on a stat sheet but they are extremely valuable and make guys like Sapp much better

And I think Marinelli understands this more than fans think. For him, it's about priorities, though. Finding a 3-tech in this defense is first priority. Finding a passing rushing RDE (in our case, it was a pass rushing LDE last year) is the next priority because pressure makes the defense go. WLB, MLB and a top-notch safety are next.

If you've got that (which I believe we do, other than the top-notch safety, and there could be some hope for Woods there), then the rest of the pieces are supplemental if we're playing Cover-2. If we're playing more man, then the corners move up in importance. However, I feel that we've got the makings of some good corners.

To me, if we hold on to Lawrence and Irving, then we're in a good position to add that supplemental NT piece that will enhance the 3-tech and DE spots. If Charlton steps up at the other DE spot, then you've got a line that will make things a lot easier on the linebackers and the secondary.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
Hopefully he gets a couple of Turkey's bowling down QBs from the blind side blitz next season. IF Marenelli dials enough of them up, that is.

:flagwave:

Tristan

Reaction score
You mean like Romo fat??
th

th
Oh yeah!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That's fine, but what do you do this year if you take a linebacker in the first? Do you bench Lee so you can fully justify the pick and just make him a part-time player? I certainly don't believe that you do since Lee is one of our best defensive players? Do you bench Jaylon? That would be a waste of using the second-round pick on a first-round talent. Do you only use the first-rounder as a part-time player?

For me, if there's an equally talented player we need to be a full-time starter this year available in the first, I want that guy. We can roll the dice and try to find someone in the later rounds who might turn into Lee's replacement because we've got a little time. I'm talking about using three picks from the fourth round on to draft depth at the position.

I don't see it as a wasted pick. I don't think your pick at 19 is ready to contribute every down anyway.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Honestly, not being able to bend his knee far enough to bowl makes me wonder how healthy Jaylon really was during 2017.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
And I think Marinelli understands this more than fans think. For him, it's about priorities, though. Finding a 3-tech in this defense is first priority. Finding a passing rushing RDE (in our case, it was a pass rushing LDE last year) is the next priority because pressure makes the defense go. WLB, MLB and a top-notch safety are next.

If you've got that (which I believe we do, other than the top-notch safety, and there could be some hope for Woods there), then the rest of the pieces are supplemental if we're playing Cover-2. If we're playing more man, then the corners move up in importance. However, I feel that we've got the makings of some good corners.

To me, if we hold on to Lawrence and Irving, then we're in a good position to add that supplemental NT piece that will enhance the 3-tech and DE spots. If Charlton steps up at the other DE spot, then you've got a line that will make things a lot easier on the linebackers and the secondary.
All mr 0-16 knows is how to coach guys. He needs to shut his mouth when it comes to acquiring personnel

Scotman

Reaction score
I'm not impressed. Get back to me when he is bowling overhand.

diefree666

Reaction score

all coaches have blind spots; the 1Tech is Marrinelli's. He is so caught up in his position flex and quick twitch that he cannot see the other side of the coin. And that his entire system is too reliant on talent. The more different things you can do the harder you are to beat. Being able to go back and forth from his 'quick twitch flexibility' to a big ol trash can full of dirt would give the offenses a lot more to deal with. You have to do something different in dealing with a quick smaller guy vs a bigger immovable guy. And more power if front can also give more protection to your LBs from the OL. He just does not seem to be able to fathom this.

DiResta

Reaction score
all coaches have blind spots; the 1Tech is Marrinelli's. He is so caught up in his position flex and quick twitch that he cannot see the other side of the coin. And that his entire system is too reliant on talent. The more different things you can do the harder you are to beat. Being able to go back and forth from his 'quick twitch flexibility' to a big ol trash can full of dirt would give the offenses a lot more to deal with. You have to do something different in dealing with a quick smaller guy vs a bigger immovable guy. And more power if front can also give more protection to your LBs from the OL. He just does not seem to be able to fathom this.
i dont understand why he never put emphasis on things like zone blitzes and putting a robber behind it
you never see this although the rush is there now and so is the secondary talent plus Lee was made for it
vet qbs like Rivers and Rodgers can pick apart basic coverages and stunts