Video: Jaylon Smith Highlights - Chargers

Whyjerry

Reaction score

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Lol this video is so skewed. I keyed on Smith the entire game. He was terrible overall. The first half was embarrassing. He was better in the second. I thought this game proved once again it’s not the leg. He was explosive on a few of these plays. Showed good lateral burst. First have he did his usual. Blown off the ball by OL. Ran around potential tackles. Tackles 8 yards down field. Way too much happy feet. Guy NEVER sets, reads and explodes. It’s always a dance.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
He made the tackles and prevented first downs. Jaylon played great and led the team in tackles.....again
Once the narrative is set, the masses just follow. Just like this Pollard need to be the featured back narrative

Praxit

Reaction score
..wow, Im impressed. Never want to see Jaylon fail, such a good dude.

Reactions: ICP

Robster8989

Reaction score
I thought he was actually solid for the game. Played well against the run, seems to always be trailing in coverage a bit, but at least he was tackling well.
God I hate his excessive celebrations though.
On that incompletion near the goal line to Cook, Herbert threw a bad pass, way behind the receiver.
A good pass and that is a completion.
Jaylon celebrates like he just made some great play, when in fact he was trailing the receiver once again.
I'm not a Jaylon hater though. I hope he plays well and conrtributes.

Fredbeard

Reaction score
PUH - LEESE

Hated? People see that he is a second round project player who Jerrah screwed up and gave big money to. He can't make splash plays and he hurts the team.

This is an ASSESSMENT . . . not hate. You need to learn what hate is. On this board if someone is displeased with a players delivered product on the field it's "hate". GTFOHWTS!

If anything this is an indictment of the front office evaluation skills and their jump-the-gun mentality. Did the same thing with Zeke. Sat on Dak 2 years when he coulda been contracted at $30M/yr. for 5 years. Paying Lawrence $20 million when at best he's worth $12-$15M with a max of 8 sacks since his new contract.

Can't people here see that hurts the overall team by diluting the talent???????
Thank you . ^^^^^^^^ this a million times

TXdvsz

Reaction score
Looks to be slow off the ball and a bit lumbering in pursuit. Would expect more quickness from a LB. Other than that..........

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Yep, better than his first game. But all of his tackles except one were 5-10 yards down the field. Is that good?

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Allowed multiple 8-9 yard competitions, got beat on the bad would-be TD by Cook but lucked out Herbert threw it way behind him...

Where are these supposed highlights?
Was not going to be a TD. If cook had caught it, Jaylon was all over him. Watch it again. some of you try way too hard to crap on him. he's not a perfect LB and likely won't ever be a game changer. But if we get solid, consistent LB play out of him this year, that only helps us.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Was not going to be a TD. If cook had caught it, Jaylon was all over him. Watch it again. some of you try way too hard to crap on him. he's not a perfect LB and likely won't ever be a game changer. But if we get solid, consistent LB play out of him this year, that only helps us.

Cook was WIDE OPEN by NFL standards. That's a TD if it's thrown in front of him.

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
Definitely better. But, he's seems a second slow diagnosing the play. Both of the plays to the far sideline the offensive player is nearly full speed before Jaylon begins to accelerate. He seems fast enough to get there, but he gives up 3 or 4 extra yards. Or so it looks like to me. Granted, I may be witnessing nothing more than my own confirmation bias at this point. I've been pretty down on him. After 2018 I was expecting the kind of impact MP has had.

He tackles like he doesn’t like tackling. He plays the wrong position for that stuff. On plays where he’s chasing down the running back to the perimeter, it’s like he allows the guy to get the corner so he can jump on his back and drag him down from behind. He has every opportunity on at least two of those plays to size up the angle and run a straight line, full speed to put a hit on the ball carrier. He could have made the tackle a few yards sooner each time. He wasn't like this a couple of seasons ago.

The point has been hammered home here by a bunch of posters but it bears repeating here. Dude is a liability at this point. And this was actually one of his “good” games.