Twitter: Jaylon Smith Left A Message For The Team

Plankton

Reaction score
This guy got wrist surgery in January to guarantee his full contract this year. He refused to renege of the injury guarantee for next season. From a FO perspective, he wasn’t a nice guy, he was viewed purely from a business perspective from then on. If you were a guy in the FO, there would be no love-loss. If you were writing the checks, there would be no loss.

Why people so sentimental knowing these facts?

To be fair, he got wrist surgery in January because he had an injury, and got it performed once the season was over. IIRC, he hurt his wrist either in the next to last game of 2020 or the finale against the Giants. He didn't invent an injury just to get a guarantee exercised.

No one in their right mind would waive an injury guarantee. No one. If the front office is asking you to do this, you are either getting released that day, or at the end of the year. He held them to his contract. They released him, he went to another team. I doubt that the Cowboys bear a grudge over it, and if they were to, they should only blame themselves for allowing that clause in the contract.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

Smith sounds like a real team guy, but he's not! Greed got the best of him, JJ and Co drafted this dude in the second rd, took care of this guy until he was healthy enough to play, gave him a fat *** contract and when he was approached about redoing his deal he spit in JJ's face, this is why Smith no longer plays for the Cowboys.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
as if that’s all that matters lol. why do you think LVE went on his rant? all good though, you don’t get it or agree and that’s fine.
No I get it just fine...athletic teams are a very....um...intimate relationship.

However...it's quite a privilege...very earned of course....to be in that position. Even lower tier players have benefits the rest of us could only dream of.

So the poor me poor jaylon.....well....if it's that hard on ya....maybe the biz isn't for you.

I would not agree with cruelty or violence. Haven't seen that here.
He did mess up the sled drill.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It’s business and a prime example of why players want to get paid when the negotiate a deal
There are no guarantees you will get all the money in a contract and most contracts are designed with cutting the player in mind, and they know that

True that is why when the player has the leverage he has to use it to his advantage because like it or not at some point the tables flip and your service is no longer needed.

Havic

Reaction score
Respect Jaylon, respect.

Glad you are gone but appreciate the sentiment!

khiladi

Reaction score
To be fair, he got wrist surgery in January because he had an injury, and got it performed once the season was over. IIRC, he hurt his wrist either in the next to last game of 2020 or the finale against the Giants. He didn't invent an injury just to get a guarantee exercised.

No one in their right mind would waive an injury guarantee. No one. If the front office is asking you to do this, you are either getting released that day, or at the end of the year. He held them to his contract. They released him, he went to another team. I doubt that the Cowboys bear a grudge over it, and if they were to, they should only blame themselves for allowing that clause in the contract.

Fair take... I was just speaking from the perspective of the LVE "SOB story". Clearly, it was an awful contract and Jaylon actually got the better end of the deal. My main point is that Jaylon viewed it from business and so did the FO.

conner01

Reaction score
True that is why when the player has the leverage he has to use it to his advantage because like it or not at some point the tables flip and your service is no longer needed.
Yep
For the majority of players they have one shot at getting a big contract. That first negotiated contract. I don’t blame them for getting all they can. They owe it to themselves, their families and other players. The next contract unless it’s a QB is generally down hill. They are in their late 20’s if not early 30’s and the chance to get a long term deal gets much slimmer

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

As I understand it, the "situation he is in" has to do with the fact that Dallas wanted him to remove his injury guarantee for next season and he wouldn't. That was really his choice, so he shouldn't have any hard feelings. Moneywise, it turns out better for him because he gets paid this season by us and also by whoever picks him up.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yep
For the majority of players they have one shot at getting a big contract. That first negotiated contract. I don’t blame them for getting all they can. They owe it to themselves, their families and other players. The next contract unless it’s a QB is generally down hill. They are in their late 20’s if not early 30’s and the chance to get a long term deal gets much slimmer

and sooner or later all leverage is in the hands of the organization. Sooner or later you are no longer needed thank you for your service now leave.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
As I understand it, the "situation he is in" has to do with the fact that Dallas wanted him to remove his injury guarantee for next season and he wouldn't. That was really his choice, so he shouldn't have any hard feelings. Moneywise, it turns out better for him because he gets paid this season by us and also by whoever picks him up.
He would’ve been a idiot to remove that clause on his own.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He would’ve been a idiot to remove that clause on his own.

Don't disagree, but Dallas gave him the choice. He made the one that was most financially sound. If he had removed the injury guarantee, he was likely getting cut anyway in the offseason because of what he was set to make compared to his level of play/playing time. If he removed it and got hurt then the team cut him, he would have had no chance to make near as much.

I'm just saying if you make a financial decision, you can't be mad when your bosses make one, too. He removes the injury guarantee and Dallas has no reason to cut him this year since his salary for this year was already guaranteed.

GMO415

Reaction score
Dudes making $7.2 million this year alone! I'm not shedding any tears for this fool.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Contrarian opinion...

Jaylon Smith was and is about the optics. In his case not a 100 pct virtue. What did you expect him to do?

morat1959

Reaction score
Take a hike. You’re a Packer now. Out of the NFL in 3 years or less. You did nothing but suck the boys dry thanks to JJ’s ignorance.