Jaylon Smith nerve countdown

black label

Reaction score
y2j-countdown-o.gif

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Fitzpatrick is asking for starter money and deserves it.

He's not worth the kind of money he's asking for he's a journeyman. The Jets aren't going to win crap with him and they know it. Go start an argument about that.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Because they we basically ALL the reports that were available. From ESPN and NFL Network to Broaddus and Eatman to whatever website you want to point to. After the draft, the reports coming from the Cowboys were suddenly very different. If Smith turns out fine, then there were no individuals or corporations who were privy to the intimate details of Smith's condition that publicly announced anything positive. If the Cowboys secret information turns out to be true and we got a massive steal for a generational player, then great! But I won't back down from my initial reaction based of the available information at the time. LIke I said before. I'll take a wait an see appproach and hope for the best.

I guess I just don't see how the availability of the early reports (i.e. "ALL the reports") somehow speaks the validity of said reports. The difference found in the report after Jaylon was drafted was due to the fact the new report was actually informed by the doctor that performed the work, whom also had intimate details of the condition of the damaged anatomy (as well as intact surrounding tissues), procedure and prognosis. Any outside reports were based on pure speculation.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
He's not worth the kind of money he's asking for he's a journeyman. The Jets aren't going to win crap with him and they know it. Go start an argument about that.

Journeyman is an actual category in many trades. Football is not one of them and you have no basis whatsoever for that position but your typical self assuming handwaving.

To the contrary there are by definition, a minimum of 32 starting QBs in this league. I cannot think of even two dozen QBs better than Fitzpatrick therefor he is a starting quality QB in the NFL.

If signing Fitzpatrick gave you a high probability of winning the SB then he would demand top QB dollars. He isn't doing that by declining $12m. You once again act clueless in this instance it is clueless to the amounts that NFL QBs actually make.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I guess I just don't see how the availability of the early reports (i.e. "ALL the reports") somehow speaks the validity of said reports. The difference found in the report after Jaylon was drafted was due to the fact the new report was actually informed by the doctor that performed the work, whom also had intimate details of the condition of the damaged anatomy (as well as intact surrounding tissues), procedure and prognosis. Any outside reports were based on pure speculation.

Informed opinions > random opinion no matter how many times repeated.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Again, you're just looking to ARGUE. You don't have two legs to stand on. lol We've exhausted this let it go! :rolleyes:

When you completely abandon arguing on my merit and instead handwave at the characterization that I concluded with on said basis then you fail and it is obvious.

They ran routes to the middle of the field. Weeden abandoned reads and went to the checkdown. Overall he had better than league average protection yet he panicked when he did get hit.

Here's you begging for attention:

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Validity of those reports has very little to do with my point.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
You're agreeing with Fuzzy that Moore was better than Weeden?...PLEASE! We're discussing the comparison between them last season. In the opener all Romo did was dump the ball off to Dunbar and that ended up being Romo's best game of the season. Plus Romo had a healthy Dez for most of that game. The best game Weeden had was against NO with Dunbar coming up big again and Weeden never had the opportunity to play with Dez last season. Once Dunbar was lost in the NO game our passing game started to really suffer because he was the teams leading receiver and our WRs weren't getting open down field. Romo only averaged 7.3 per attempt in the 4 games he appeared in last season. Weeden averaged 10.4 per attempt vs Philly, 8.9 per attempt vs Atlanta and 9.5 per attempt vs NO.

He was bad against NE averaging only 4.8 per attempt but he finished the season including the games with Houston averaging 7.4 per attempt which was slightly higher than Romo's 7.3 per attempt last season. The NE game where we were overmatched had everyone go real sour on Weeden because he couldn't get the ball 5 yards down the field. We benched him, released him and traded for Cassel who was worse in every statistical category plus he only averaged 6.3 per attempt. Twill isn't a #1 receiver and with Dez out he was struggling to get open down field.

Despite the 400 yard passing game by Moore that has some going head over heels for him he only ended up averaging 7.5 per attempt. That game jacked his per attempt average up with Washington just laying back allowing him to put up yards. In the 2 games he appeared in prior he averaged only 6.3 per attempt vs the Jets and 6.0 per attempt vs Buffalo. Weeden wasn't nearly as bad as some made it seem it's just that many fans hate him. If we had a defense he had a good chance of going 2-1 last season.

That's not true. Romo hit Dunbar on routes not just dump offs. Plus Dez wasn't healthy that game he left multiple times to get an I.V plus he got hurt

Last edited:

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm sincerely asking (not being a smart***) what is your point then?

Ok. First, maybe describing who my point was directed at might help. It was in response to a posters who were looking forward to being able to laugh at all the people who flipped out when Smith was drafted... as if they knew for a fact on April 29th that he would be fine.

My point was to counter that by saying: At the time of the draft there there was no reason not to think that all those reports were valid. Regardless of how Jaylon turns out, thinking - at the time - the use of the 34th pick in the draft was a crazy risk will was a sensible reaction. Feeling the same way today is a different argument. That's all. The attitude of someone using hindsight to create some false story about knowing better, which is BS. BS pisses me off sometimes.

Given the available information on April 29th, picking Smith at 34 was an insane risk. What we learned later is irrelevant to how we reacted on that day.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
This is like arguing who is the best actor on Entourage

We can say that both were bad......KMoore's numbers were worse and Weeden was afraid to throw downfield.....we should be done with both of them

:laugh:

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Ok. First, maybe describing who my point was directed at might help. It was in response to a posters who were looking forward to being able to laugh at all the people who flipped out when Smith was drafted... as if they knew for a fact on April 29th that he would be fine.

My point was to counter that by saying: At the time of the draft there there was no reason not to think that all those reports were valid. Regardless of how Jaylon turns out, thinking - at the time - the use of the 34th pick in the draft was a crazy risk will was a sensible reaction. Feeling the same way today is a different argument. That's all. The attitude of someone using hindsight to create some false story about knowing better, which is BS. BS pisses me off sometimes.

Given the available information on April 29th, picking Smith at 34 was an insane risk. What we learned later is irrelevant to how we reacted on that day.

But we didn't have the information that front offices have. I didn't feel it was a risk as much as any other pick. I think all picks are gambles or risks but I won't judge until I see the product on the field.

He might be ready tomorrow, he might also never play again but the same could be said of any player.

All we can do is hope that our picks turn out. ....from the safest and most surest prospects to the most risky and unsure picks

TheHerd

Reaction score

Yes, from our perspective, based on the information we had at that time, the pick was an insane risk. But the FO likely had very different information at that time, so from their perspective the risk wasn't insane.

Color me skeptical, but I still think Smith is a big risk. But Jerry is due. All the risks seem to have turned to crap lately, so isn't it time for the winds of change?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
When you completely abandon arguing on my merit and instead handwave at the characterization that I concluded with on said basis then you fail and it is obvious.

You and CCBOY have to be one in the same. :laugh:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Journeyman is an actual category in many trades. Football is not one of them and you have no basis whatsoever for that position but your typical self assuming handwaving.

The official definition of a "journeyman" when it relates to sports is a player who is reliable but not outstanding. Fitzpatrick hasn't even been very reliable which is why the Jets are his 6th team. He has a career passer rating of only 80.8. He's been with the Jets one season where his passer rating was 88.8 and didn't lead NY to the playoffs but he's looking for a big money contract. lol The Broncos wouldn't touch him back in March because he was looking for 18M a year. He's basically a stopgap QB and he's looking for elite QB money. :laugh: