Jaylon Smith nerve countdown

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Lol how did this turn into a backup qb thread? Doesn't matter who the backup is if romo goes down for 4 or more games the season is done. Dallas will not bring in another qb before the season starts.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
no he didn't......his numbers were worse and his games were irrelevant

If you say so. I get the picks which are a huge concern but he actually would throw to the middle of the field and run the offense. Weeden never did that. He played scared and conservative to a fault.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
For all his faults, Moore outplayed Weeden with 1.5 years less time to prepare.

How do you figure Moore outplayed him? You couldn't be more wrong! Weeden blew Moore away in every statistical category. Weeden completed 72.4% of his passes compared to Moore who completed 58.7%. Weeden finished with a passer rating of 92.4 compared to a 71.0 passer rating for Moore. Weeden's TD to INT ratio was 2-2 compared to Moore who had a 4-6 TD to INT ratio. Although Weeden was 0-3 as the starter last season he got a save vs Philly where he played outstanding and he led the Cowboys to three 14 point leads vs Atlanta only to have the defense give it all back. Against NO Weeden led the Cowboys on a last ditch scoring drive with a TD to Twill with just 7 seconds left to get the game to OT. Again the defense faltered not allowing the Cowboys offense to ever see the field.

Moore was 0-2 as the starter and his 2 starts where in meaningless games against opponents who had nothing to play for. He was terrible vs Buffalo and although he was statistically good vs Washington they were in lay down mode looking ahead to the playoffs which allowed Moore those big numbers. Most of his numbers came in the second half against Washington's backups as they were pulling starters. Stephen McGee won a game in 2010 playing against Philly backups as the Eagles were looking ahead to the playoffs. Neither game Moore started was close both Buffalo and Washington won comfortably.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
How do you figure Moore outplayed him? You couldn't be more wrong! Weeden blew Moore away in every statistical category. Weeden completed 72.4% of his passes compared to Moore who completed 58.7%. Weeden finished with a passer rating of 92.4 compared to a 71.0 passer rating for Moore. Weeden's TD to INT ratio was 2-2 compared to Moore who had a 4-6 TD to INT ratio. Although Weeden was 0-3 as the starter last season he got a save vs Philly where he played outstanding and he led the Cowboys to three 14 point leads vs Atlanta only to have the defense give it all back. Against NO Weeden led the Cowboys on a last ditch scoring drive with a TD to Twill with just 7 seconds left to get the game to OT. Again the defense faltered not allowing the Cowboys offense to ever see the field.

Moore was 0-2 as the starter and his 2 starts where in meaningless games against opponents who had nothing to play for. He was terrible vs Buffalo and although he was statistically good vs Washington they were in lay down mode looking ahead to the playoffs which allowed Moore those big numbers. Most of his numbers came in the second half against Washington's backups as they were pulling starters. Stephen McGee won a game in 2010 playing against Philly backups as the Eagles were looking ahead to the playoffs. Neither game Moore started was close both Buffalo and Washington won comfortably.

Weeden was incapable of running the offense and Moore was. Specifically, Weeden would dump it off most every down and otherwise throw it to the outside where the reads are easier. Witten would only get the ball when he was the #1 option and guys like Beasley disappeared. He limited his mistakes sure but he made no plays overall.

Moore otoh, would throw it downfield and in the middle of the field. He made some mistakes but he would also make plays. He was also neophyte to the offense. In short, he doesn't play scared and clueless.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If you say so. I get the picks which are a huge concern but he actually would throw to the middle of the field and run the offense. Weeden never did that. He played scared and conservative to a fault.

Throwing to the middle of the field doesn't mean he played better than Weeden. Some of what Weeden did was by design to keep him from turning the ball over. It was part of the Cowboys play not to lose approach. The team plays scared we've seen that under Garrett for 5 years which has cost us a number of games. The WRs weren't getting open and they weren't getting open for Romo down the field in the first 2 games even he was checking down a lot to the backs.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Throwing to the middle of the field doesn't mean he played better than Weeden. Some of what Weeden did was by design to keep him from turning the ball over. It was part of the Cowboys play not to lose approach. The team plays scared we've seen that under Garrett for 5 years which has cost us a number of games. The WRs weren't getting open and they weren't getting open for Romo down the field in the first 2 games even he was checking down a lot to the backs.

Weeden checked down repeatedly. They ran routes to the middle of the field and I can recall Beasley, Escobar, and others frustrated because they would be open and he wouldn't get them the ball. I watch every down at least twice including a view of all-22. I watched it happen repeatedly. Recall defenses were dropping a DB into the box to stop the run?

You can make up fantasy scenarios where they instructed Weeden to not throw over the middle but I don't buy it. What I do buy is that Weeden lacked the capacity to read defenses so he played ultraconservative.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Weeden was incapable of running the offense and Moore was. Specifically, Weeden would dump it off most every down and otherwise throw it to the outside where the reads are easier. Witten would only get the ball when he was the #1 option and guys like Beasley disappeared. He limited his mistakes sure but he made no plays overall.

Moore otoh, would throw it downfield and in the middle of the field. He made some mistakes but he would also make plays. He was also neophyte to the offense. In short, he doesn't play scared and clueless.

Moore played in that offense in Detroit under Linehan but he still made way too many mistakes and wasn't efficient his completion percentage, passer rating and 6 INT's point to that. The offense is designed to be friendly only for Romo, Danny White pointed it out in an article that was posted on the board. We went 1-11 with 3 backup QBs despite the talent we have offensively. Other teams won games last year with backup QBs and made the playoffs including Denver who still made it to the SB despite Manning missing 7 games.

After Weeden was released he went to Houston and was excellent leading them to a save in relief and a win in 2 very important games. He completed almost 62% of his passes in Houston and had a 3 to 0 TD to INT ratio with a passer rating of 107.7. If Moore has to play and keeps tossing picks we have no chance with our defense having to defend turnovers.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Weeden checked down repeatedly. They ran routes to the middle of the field and I can recall Beasley, Escobar, and others frustrated because they would be open and he wouldn't get them the ball. I watch every down at least twice including a view of all-22. I watched it happen repeatedly. Recall defenses were dropping a DB into the box to stop the run?

You can make up fantasy scenarios where they instructed Weeden to not throw over the middle but I don't buy it. What I do buy is that Weeden lacked the capacity to read defenses so he played ultraconservative.

Despite all the check downs we still had an excellent chance to win 2 of his 3 starts had our defense played better. You can make up that Moore outplayed Weeden but you're wrong and the numbers and how competitive we were while he was the QB backs it up.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Exactly, Weeden lost games for us with his play. Moore didn't win, but he wasn't the sole cause of losses like Weeden was.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
He could afford to throw it downfield we had nothing to play.

So youre reduced to this? This would make sense if the team laid down for Moore like they did for Wade Phillips and even for Weeden.

Fact is that the team was playing hard and Moore was playing for his NFL life. Youre just banking on unquantifiable nonsense anyway.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So youre reduced to this? This would make sense if the team laid down for Moore like they did for Wade Phillips and even for Weeden.

Fact is that the team was playing hard and Moore was playing for his NFL life. Youre just banking on unquantifiable nonsense anyway.

The Cowboys were done and so was Buffalo and Washington who had the division wrapped up and was just trying to get out of the game healthy. Once Romo was done for the year after the Carolina loss you could see the team had nothing left after that. Washington just sat back allowing Moore to throw. There wasn't anything to play hard for those final 2 games with Moore for either the Cowboys or their opponents. You're trying to make his performance look much better than it was because he's still with the team and Weeden is gone. You're probably one of the many who hated Weeden. There were those who those who hated Weeden so much they tried spinning that Dustin Vaughn outplayed him in preseason a couple of years ago. LOL

They wanted to cut Weeden and go with Vaughn at backup who only completed 52% of his passes in preseason and had a passer rating of 54.5. Because Moore is here and will likely be the backup everyone is trying to find something positive about him. They did the same thing with Alex Tanney when he was here and with Vaughn. FANS here will go nuts over any young QB. One good throw will make them drool. One FAN was so impressed after seeing Tanney's trick shot YouTube video he proclaimed him Tony Romo's heir apparent. :laugh: Some are trying to compare Moore with Romo because they were both undrafted free agents. :rolleyes: They're seeing things in Moore that simply aren't there. He's no Romo and never will be.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The Cowboys were done and so was Buffalo and Washington who had the division wrapped up and was just trying to get out of the game healthy. Once Romo was done for the year after the Carolina loss you could see the team had nothing left after that. Washington just sat back allowing Moore to throw. There wasn't anything to play hard for those final 2 games with Moore for either the Cowboys or their opponents. You're trying to make his performance look much better than it was because he's still with the team and Weeden is gone. You're probably one of the many who hated Weeden. There were those who those who hated Weeden so much they tried spinning that Dustin Vaughn outplayed him in preseason a couple of years ago. LOL

They wanted to cut Weeden and go with Vaughn at backup who only completed 52% of his passes in preseason and had a passer rating of 54.5. Because Moore is here and will likely be the backup everyone is trying to find something positive about him. They did the same thing with Alex Tanney when he was here and with Vaughn. FANS here will go nuts over any young QB. One good throw will make them drool. One FAN was so impressed after seeing Tanney's trick shot YouTube video he proclaimed him Tony Romo's heir apparent. :laugh: Some are trying to compare Moore with Romo because they were both undrafted free agents. :rolleyes: They're seeing things in Moore that simply aren't there. He's no Romo and never will be.

You still banking on unquantifiable nonsense. Again the Cowboys didn't stop competing for all your fantasies. Moore could read defenses in the middle of the field and Weeden could not. Recall Linehan's comments on Moore's ability to anticipate throws?

You cannot even talk about football as its played on the field. You make up nonsense and wave your hands.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score

Moore also picked up the blitz and changed the play for Dez screen for a TD. Weeden didn't display that. I agree Moore was better especially for his first game action

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why do you stock in pre-draft reports from individuals who aren't privy to the intimate details of Smith's condition?

Because they we basically ALL the reports that were available. From ESPN and NFL Network to Broaddus and Eatman to whatever website you want to point to. After the draft, the reports coming from the Cowboys were suddenly very different. If Smith turns out fine, then there were no individuals or corporations who were privy to the intimate details of Smith's condition that publicly announced anything positive. If the Cowboys secret information turns out to be true and we got a massive steal for a generational player, then great! But I won't back down from my initial reaction based of the available information at the time. LIke I said before. I'll take a wait an see appproach and hope for the best.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

Tanney actually played some in the Titans last game of the season. 10-14, 99 yds, 7.1 per att, 1 TD, 114.9

Doomsday101

Reaction score
One thing for sure, Moore will be getting ample reps in training camp and in pre season. Who is right about Moore and who is wrong will be determined where it should be and that is on the field.

I see this as Moore best opportunity to prove himself, what he does with this opportunity is in his hands

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Tanney actually played some in the Titans last game of the season. 10-14, 99 yds, 7.1 per att, 1 TD, 114.9

Doubt that has the Cowboys and Browns kicking themselves for letting him go.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You still banking on unquantifiable nonsense. Again the Cowboys didn't stop competing for all your fantasies. Moore could read defenses in the middle of the field and Weeden could not. Recall Linehan's comments on Moore's ability to anticipate throws?

You cannot even talk about football as its played on the field. You make up nonsense and wave your hands.

No one said they stopped competing but the intensity level wasn't there for the Cowboys or their opponents because there wasn't anything to play for. It's only natural for teams and players to lose some intensity when their seasons are over and they're just playing out the schedule. You claimed Moore outplayed Weeden when everyone of Weeden's numbers blew Moore's away. Weeden played in very meaningful games that we were competitive except for the NE game. To judge a QB you have to see how they perform in games that matter.

The only one who makes up nonsense is you because all you do is look to create arguments. You would argue that DNA evidence is nonsense just to create an argument. Anything I say you look to oppose just to argue. You follow me around from topic to topic just looking to start arguments. You've been slammed with links and stats that conclusively prove you wrong in debates and you continue to argue.

Last edited:

Dodger12

Reaction score

Come on KJJ, Weeden was awful. Please don't throw out stats when all the guy did was dump offs. It was maddening to watch. But, worst of all, you're making me agree with Fuzzy. Please stop........