Jaylon Smith nerve countdown

fortdick

Reaction score
This kid woulda went top 3 if it wasn't for injury. Our doctors knew the best considering they did the surgery. If we didn't take him at that pick someone else was taking him in the second. Kid imo will be a stud and he's determined to prove it. and everyone will be satisfied.

This!

I really think a lot of the talk about the injury was posturing to get teams to back off. Not that I would expect the Cowboys team doctor to do or say anything that would give his employer an edge.

That would be unethical.

visionary

Reaction score
He is? Funny, last I heard he just wrapped up classes at UCLA on the 10th, which had kept him from participating in any workouts until this coming Monday.

I'm sure by "limited in practice", you meant "banned from participating under NFL rules because he was still finishing classes", but what do those details matter when it's about the agenda.

Please refrain from bringing up factual information in a discussion with "Dr" @FuzzyLumpkins (who thinks he is a doctor because he can do a google search)

Stupid doctors wasting over a decade training for something that takes 5 min

fortdick

Reaction score
He wears a special device to compensate for his drop foot - he currently has no control of lowering/raising his foot. That's the issue being madly discussed, whether the nerves that allow him to control his foot will heal, and if so, when.

I believe this description is an exaggeration. How can he run if he has no control raising and lowering his foot? Step-fall, step-fall? To much exaggeration going on. Tape an aspirin to it!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Please refrain from bringing up factual information in a discussion with "Dr" @FuzzyLumpkins (who thinks he is a doctor because he can do a google search)

Stupid doctors wasting over a decade training for something that takes 5 min

What are you even talking about? I have made it very clear that my specialty is not medicine and have never once claimed to be a doctor. Quite the contrary as I quickly correct anyone that mistakes me.

That does not preclude me from bringing up factual information on nerve injuries. You aren't even a doctor so I am confused why you are getting up in arms anyway. You are much more presumptuous in doing so than I.

Anyway, Brady Poppinga was talking about Jack on his radio show and said that he was going to be limited in practice. It is what it is.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
What did you risk? Now, Jerry had something to risk, and he liked the odds. I liked the guts it took to take the chance. Shows he is willing to take risks to make this team great.

He could have played it safe and got a DT or CB that was safe, and most likely not remembered in 5 years. But he took a chance on what would have one of the best players available.

... then there was Thronton.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
He wears a special device to compensate for his drop foot - he currently has no control of lowering/raising his foot...

I presume he is walking and running. So, how does he even run or walk without 'control of lowering/raising his foot?'

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I believe this description is an exaggeration. How can he run if he has no control raising and lowering his foot? Step-fall, step-fall? To much exaggeration going on. Tape an aspirin to it!

I presume he is walking and running. So, how does he even run or walk without 'control of lowering/raising his foot?'

I am not a doctor and have not inspected the foot myself, so take it for what it is, but I'm just repeating what I've heard. Google "Foot Drop" or "Drop Foot" and read for yourself, that's the condition Jaylon has.

The device he wears makes it possible to work out (he was already training on bands before he was even drafted), but it doesn't mean he's ready to play on the foot.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I am not a doctor and have not inspected the foot myself, so take it for what it is, but I'm just repeating what I've heard. Google "Foot Drop" or "Drop Foot" and read for yourself, that's the condition Jaylon has.

The device he wears makes it possible to work out (he was already training on bands before he was even drafted), but it doesn't mean he's ready to play on the foot.

Yeah its just a brace that keeps the foot up. Looks kinda like a stirrup.

dropfoot-plantarflexion.jpg

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Poppinga was talking about it on the radio and saying that he was not cleared to practice fully. This makes sense considering the injury.

And please come up with another term than 'agenda.' What exactly is my agenda anyway? That I don't like football players with degenerative injuries to their knee?

Your dude Poppigina doesn't know what he's talking about, especially if he didn't mention that Jack is out due to school and NFL rules. Jack was fully cleared and he doesn't have an injury, the only questions with him are how long he'll play with the knee and if he's any good at professional football.

The idea that love for a player with a paralyzed foot is somehow superior to love for a guy with a degenerative issue is humorous. They both have red flags, and all fans of both players can do is hope.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Your dude Poppigina doesn't know what he's talking about, especially if he didn't mention that Jack is out due to school and NFL rules. Jack was fully cleared and he doesn't have an injury, the only questions with him are how long he'll play with the knee and if he's any good at professional football.

The idea that love for a player with a paralyzed foot is somehow superior to love for a guy with a degenerative issue is humorous. They both have red flags, and all fans of both players can do is hope.

My dude? We both have our sources. We will just wait and see.

The UCLA surgeon 'fully cleared' Jack last March yet he didn't participate in any draft activity. the ones that matter are the Jaguars doctors and they have said nothing.

And it's all about the prognosis. You do understand that degenerative means that it worsens over time right? Jack's nerve either comes back or it doesn't. If it does then he is fully recovered. Jack has no chance of that whatsoever because the meniscus does not regenerate and once the supporting structure of the knee deteriorates it exacerbates the issue leading to a tendency for worsening of the injury.

I acknowledge the synapse to the muscle could be problematic. It makes Jack a significant boom or bust but I will take that over the guy who will decline right out the gate. I'm glad that my preference amuses you. I think it humorous that you see fit to conflate the two issues. I see them as as distinct as injuries get.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
On a side note if he doesn't recover then at least he made some money to get his life started off just fine. I don't make the decisions but as a fan I was ok with the risk we took. He's a great person and I'm glad he has an opportunity.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
I can't wait for the off season to officially start. Talking about players that haven't played in the league and even those that won't be wearing a Dallas jersey is exhausting...but can't Miles Jack be cleared to play but not be allowed by the league due to rules with colleges players? Or did I miss something?

Common Sense

Reaction score
Why is that? Jaylon is the better prospect, not only that once Jaylon heals he can play with no issues......Jack on the other hand could go at any time. Situation like Leary, you just never know. Jack is more risk then Jaylon

I guess the question is would you rather have a player who could go at any time or a player who might not come back at any time?