Jaylon Smith nerve regenerating

eternaljester81

Reaction score
He was on the NFI, moved off it and eventually placed on IR. At least that's my understanding.

I believe that is correct, and that a player must stay on IR at least 8 weeks before returning to practice, and 2 more before playing in a game.

dstew60105

Reaction score
Not exactly. You get the 5th pick in 2017, but you can only sign the guy for 3 years, instead of 4 with a 5th-year option.

Since he didn't play I believe we maintain his rights for an extra year. Thought I read that somewhere.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
He was on the NFI, moved off it and eventually placed on IR. At least that's my understanding.
I think you have to be activated from the NFI to be moved off of it. Which would have required him to take a spot on the 53-man roster. He never was, and even the team website currently lists him as Reserve/NFI, which is different from Reserve/Injured (which is often called IR). I know it sounds like I'm splitting hairs but you can't be activated from the Reserve/NFI once that 3-week window closes.

eternaljester81

Reaction score
I believe that is correct, and that a player must stay on IR at least 8 weeks before returning to practice, and 2 more before playing in a game.

I was close:
"That designated player is eligible to return to practice if he has been on the IR list for at least six weeks from the date he was placed on Reserve. He is eligible to return to the active list if has been on the IR list for at least eight weeks from the date he is placed on Reserve."
(http://www.dummies.com/sports/football/new-nfl-injuredreserve-ir-rule/)

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Not exactly. You get the 5th pick in 2017, but you can only sign the guy for 3 years, instead of 4 with a 5th-year option.
the 20m in savings more than pays for the Franchise tag if needed

plus DAL could have tolled the year but they decided to pay him in full while keeping him on the NFI

dstew60105

Reaction score
I think you have to be activated from the NFI to be moved off of it. Which would have required him to take a spot on the 53-man roster. He never was, and even the team website currently lists him as Reserve/NFI, which is different from Reserve/Injured (which is often called IR). I know it sounds like I'm splitting hairs but you can't be activated from the Reserve/NFI once that 3-week window closes.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...oys-to-activate-jaylon-smith-mcfadden-off-nfi

He was activated and the team received a 3 week roster exemption to add him to the active roster.

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
I hope jaylon smith doesn't become the 2016 Matt Johnson.

The greatest player who never played.

I'm fired up for May.
Lol. I was blasted on another forum for saying we should cut ties with Johnson after he missed his 3rd (?) year. One poster said "you'll be eating crow when he's our starting safety this year".
I'm certainly not writing off J. Smith. I just don't want to get hopes up till we see some practice time.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Jaylon Smith signed a $6.49 million contract with the Cowboys. Smith received $4.52 million in guaranteed salary including a $2.923 million signing bonus.

Are those Cadillacs? Probably not too bad spending wise if that's all he is giving away.
Cadillacs for his parents is not extravagant at all....plus he got 5m in insurance for slipping out of the 1st round

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
This is GREAT news, Jaylon will be ready for 2017, the kid has the work ethic, character and skills at an elite level.

Once he has fully healed and motor function is normal, I have no doubt he will be an elite talent for our defense going forward, he is that good including pass rush ability.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I think Lee is playing at more than a somewhat elite level. When he isnt out there, more bad things seem to happen.
He may be playing at an elite level considering the talent around him. But I consider elite as somewhat getting sacks, generating turnovers, making tackles for loss on a consistent basis. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE Sean Lee...so I meant no disrespect. But when I think of elite...I think of Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White, Derrick Thomas etc...

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean. He himself is now saying he is regaining feeling and has been told the nerve is coming back. How is that speculating?
First, I was responding to your comment about him saying he would participate in OTAs, which is speculation until they actually start.

Second, given things like this...

...I'm not going to read too much into what Jaylon says about his status. He hasn't actually said in a straightforward way, "I'm regaining feeling," so far as I know.

Proof

Reaction score
Maybe this is good news for next season but the idea of him in these playoffs needs to be shelved. I'm praying for the young man but he is not coming off IR. :facepalm:

Only because he literally can't. But if they hadn't missed that 3 week window back in November....

Sydla

Reaction score
Cadillacs for his parents is not extravagant at all....plus he got 5m in insurance for slipping out of the 1st round

I don't believe he got $5MM. The $5MM was if he never played again. He got $700M for slipping out of the first round and was taken with the top pick in the 2nd round. Every spot in the 2nd he slipped, he would get another $100M. So he ended up getting $900M.

dstew60105

Reaction score
Fair enough on the previous activation. He's still not eligible for reactivation currently because he's not on IR currently, but is on NFI, which is not eligible.

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...lb-jaylon-smith-season-ending-injured-reserve

He's on IR, just not eligible to return because he would need to be on IR for 6 weeks to be able to return.