Video: Jaylon Smith on Undisputed

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
He reminds me of Garrett. Says a lot of cliched words that sound good with a half-smile on his face, like losing doesn't even bother him because he's already made. "We didn't do this and that, but we'll get 'em next time."

One example of how empty his words were: When asked about that Thursday night Bears game embarrassment, he immediately went to the default excuse of it being hard to prepare on a short week. But the Bears game was a full week after the Thanksgiving day game.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Agreed , seems like Smith learned from Garrett's empty words and fake smile .

I can't believe people said Garrett improved the franchise's culture .

When asked about failure, he just shrugs it off with a smile, just like garrett . No accountability .

Big_D

Reaction score

When asked about failure, he just shrugs it off with a smile, just like garrett . No accountability .

Garrett made losing downright fun!!!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't think this kind of thing isn't reported on all the time?
Not what a player is doing every minute of the day, no. The media doesn't have access to that.

But the media does "report" all sorts of things all the time, much of which involves exaggeration or misleading headlines or unsupported speculation directed at sucking in the consumer who is drawn to soap opera. It makes for bad reporting, but it sells because there unfortunately are a lot of people drawn to soap opera.

And the reality is, having interests outside of football doesn't mean a player isn't working hard at football. With Smith we are talking about a player that worked is tail off for almost 2 years, and then played a season with only one good leg while he tried to get past an injury that some said would keep him from every playing in the NFL in any meaningful way. He has proven he doesn't shy away from hard work.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
If Garrett is as loyal as Jerry says he is , then we got ourselves a spy inside the Giants team .

foofighters

Reaction score
The sad thing is, how many youth are seeing this joker and thinking they want to be exactly like him?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Clearly you did not really watch him play last year.
Of course we watched him play, and while he didn't have the impact he had the year before, and it was disappointing, it doesn't and shouldn't ruin the entire game of football. Since the NFL was formed players have always had some years that are better than others, so why would it suddenly ruin the game because that happened with Smith? Besides, while again, I agree he didn't have as much impact this season, he was 6th in the entire NFL in tackles, so it's not like he suddenly became a bottom of the barrel player.

Sydla

Reaction score
Clearly you did not really watch him play last year.

I saw him play. He wasn't great. He clearly regressed.

But on a list of things that would ruin Cowboys football for me, Jaylon Smith being goofy, not playing well in 2019, setting up a side business for himself, and trying to help people off the field, would be way down the list of things that would ruin Cowboys football for me.

Frankly, it would be hard for me to have any one player "ruin" Cowboys football for me. Shoot, even employing a moron, woman beater like Greg Hardy didn't actually ruin Cowboys football for me.

I mean it's kind of funny that this guy would ruin Cowboys football for you but none of the guys that have been idiots off the field and got suspended and embarrassed the Cowboys would.

Hahahahaha. As I said, you guys crack me up.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Did you see the culture here when Wade was running it? The worst I’ve ever seen.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Is there a site that gives you stats like tackle around the LOS vs downfield?

I would be curious to see how many of his tackles where for downfield relative to other MLBs in the league. I feel like he is always chasing instead of attacking.

Sydla

Reaction score
God forbid they want to be like him. Self made millionaire with no arrest history. Hasn’t killed anyone.

Exactly. This topic is really enlightening in terms of insights into the minds of some Cowboys fans. Elliott acts like an idiot off the field. Love him. Smith is an upstanding citizen off the field creating a business and a foundation to help less fortunate people? ******* because he wasn't good this year and his bowling celebration is stupid and lame and he did it at the wrong time a few times this year.

Makes sense.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
What is it with some only being able to see extremes, and displaying animosity. Smith didn't indicate Garrett was a great coach, but neither did he indicate he was a terrible one, and the reality is there is a hell of a lot of room between "great" and "trash". And there really is no reason to feel a grudge. I think most of us agree Garrett was not what the team needed and had shortcomings, but does that make him trash or a bad person we should feel animosity toward? The discussion would be a lot more rational if posters would skip the melodrama and just discuss facts and well thought out opinions.
If its not one of his favorite teachers pet players none have spoken highly of him. Speaks volumes to me

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stars in demand don't think that way. Desperate players do.
Stars know they're worth the money because they can deliver for the price. Desperate players take the deals because they don't have leverage.
Besides, there's ego involved on Jerry's side too. He doesn't want to be seen as a cheap owner.
It's not like Dallas isn't getting something for its dollar. Pay top price for players, compete for the playoffs and Super Bowl. Also, top players bring in the dollars in terms of attendance and national interest.
If I'm a top player, I'm not taking less than my worth with the promise of making more simply because I'm a Cowboy. And I suspect if fans were in players' positions, they'd do just what players like Zeke did.

You miss my point. There is a new way to make money as an NFL player. Its called social media. Sure it won't matter for the true superstars in the league. Aaron Rodgers and Mahomes can play anywhere it doesn't matter. But to guys like Jaylon Smith, nobody would know his name were it not for the spotlight that being on the Dallas Cowboys provides. The real question is can such a measure be quantified. There is absolutely no question that being on the Dallas Cowboys has a marketable impact on the earning potential of most players......an earning potential that will far outlast their playing careers.

It has nothing to do with desperation.

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
They do talk about this with players. Jones has done this in the media when talking about dak.

Jaylon signed a very team friendly deal. Compared to a guy who also signed this yr on a yr shorter deal, shaq thomson. He signed for 4 yrs 54mil, Jaylon signed 6 yrs 68.

The difference is the structure Thompson is making 7mil and 14 mil over the next 2 yrs and 15 in the 3rd yr, Jaylon is making 7mil and 9mil in the next 2 yrs and can be released after the 2nd yr if hes not producing, but even if he does he's still only making 11 in that 3rd yr.

This is what i talk about when i say people need to get their minds off that overall number in a contract and look at how its structured. Dallas is killing it with these new deals. Dallas could literally get rid of Elliot, Lawrence and Smith after the 2022 season and save 36mil on the cap.
The FO relinquished their leverage on all 3 of those dumb contracts, hopefully our new HC will help them clear the proverbial sand and excrement from their eyes and ears.

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
They do talk about this with players. Jones has done this in the media when talking about dak.

Jaylon signed a very team friendly deal. Compared to a guy who also signed this yr on a yr shorter deal, shaq thomson. He signed for 4 yrs 54mil, Jaylon signed 6 yrs 68.

The difference is the structure Thompson is making 7mil and 14 mil over the next 2 yrs and 15 in the 3rd yr, Jaylon is making 7mil and 9mil in the next 2 yrs and can be released after the 2nd yr if hes not producing, but even if he does he's still only making 11 in that 3rd yr.

This is what i talk about when i say people need to get their minds off that overall number in a contract and look at how its structured. Dallas is killing it with these new deals. Dallas could literally get rid of Elliot, Lawrence and Smith after the 2022 season and save 36mil on the cap.
Based on his performance this season, is Jaylon a 7-9 mill a year football player?