Video: Jaylon Smith on Undisputed

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I assume Jerry has made that pitch for years. Jerry knows about squeezing dollars out of eyeballs. I think Stephen even alluded to the extra benefits of being a Cowboy, and expecting that to be factored into contract negotiations.

They should *avoid* players who can't do the math on that. The argument is totally legitimate, and if a player pulls the "I want the market price regardless of the benefits of being a Cowboy", we should let them walk.

Totally agree. Its the agents who want to have their cake and eat it too. Let them explain how Jaylon Smith playing in Cincy for 10% more money is better for the Jaylon Smith brand and has the same long term earning potential.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ever hear of this little organization called the NFLPA? No, just no

I have heard of it actually. Would love to hear how you managed to connect those dots. The NFLPA has nothing to do with player branding. It money above and beyond the CBA.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is no doubt in my mind Jerry and co. has been pitching something like this for years. Even before social media. I’m sure when he does make this pitch it goes into the players left ears and out the right. As it should right? I mean think about it. If your Drew Rosenhaus (who I’m sure is very much aware of the media coverage the Cowboys receive), your goal is to negotiate the biggest contract for your client as possible. Do you really see Drew Rosenhaus telling Terrell Owens to to take less money with Cowboys so he could reap the endorsements? Why do that when you can get the biggest contract you can AND reap the endorsements? More money right? That’s what agents are for.

Instagram wasn't around when TO played. If Jaylon Smith can amass 5x more followers as a Dallas Cowboy than a Cincinnati Bengal, why wouldn't Dallas make that part of the negotiation? Any player who can't see the difference in outside earning potential is too dumb to be on the team anyway.

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
He reminds me of Garrett. Says a lot of cliched words that sound good with a half-smile on his face, like losing doesn't even bother him because he's already made. "We didn't do this and that, but we'll get 'em next time."

One example of how empty his words were: When asked about that Thursday night Bears game embarrassment, he immediately went to the default excuse of it being hard to prepare on a short week. But the Bears game was a full week after the Thanksgiving day game.
Exactly, he needs to be coached hard then benched and traded if he doesn't drastically improve his fundamentals THIS upcoming season.

Dre11

Reaction score
LOL...Execution on the field:thumbup:
Film don't lie:thumbup:

Prepared the right way:thumbup:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did like hearing the word "execution" as that was my focus all last off season.

Every time someone puts this show up on the site, I shake my head in amazement that Bayless even has a job. He's a terrible writer and worse as a panel member.

He actually makes Sharpe look better and smarter.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If its not one of his favorite teachers pet players none have spoken highly of him. Speaks volumes to me

And neither do they speak poorly of him except he the few disgruntled ones like Dez. Hell, most dont adress the topic at all. There is no widespread condemnation the way you seem to,perceive.

Again, you act like there is nothing but greatness or trash, with no levels in between, and the silly grudge you seem to hold probably explains the lack of rationality. It actually is possible to have shortcomings without being “trash”, just as it is possible to have positive traits without being great. There is a gamut of levels in between, and to only be able to see the extremes reflects an unwillingness to evaluate in a reasonable manner. Why the animosity anyway? The fact he didn’t turn out to be as good a coach as we needed isn’t a reflection of insincerity or lack of effort or a failing in human decency or morals. it’s just a reflection that he didn’t quite have the talent for the job, much like a player may not quite have the talent to make the impact we would like on the field.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
You miss my point. There is a new way to make money as an NFL player. Its called social media. Sure it won't matter for the true superstars in the league. Aaron Rodgers and Mahomes can play anywhere it doesn't matter. But to guys like Jaylon Smith, nobody would know his name were it not for the spotlight that being on the Dallas Cowboys provides. The real question is can such a measure be quantified. There is absolutely no question that being on the Dallas Cowboys has a marketable impact on the earning potential of most players......an earning potential that will far outlast their playing careers.

It has nothing to do with desperation.

But your point was that Jerry should use that as a selling point. So, in essence, Jerry should say to Jaylon Smith, "Look, take fewer dollars and you'll recoup it because you'll be a member of the Dallas Cowboys and you'll earn more dollars because of the Cowboy brand name."

And I'd be like J.S. "I'll take the max AND cash in on being a Cowboy." Jaylon can do that because he's a star. Noah Brown can't because he's not a star.

So I don't see how what I said doesn't fit your point. :huh:

stilltheguru

Reaction score

And neither do they speak poorly of him except he the few disgruntled ones like Dez. Hell, most dont adress the topic at all. There is no widespread condemnation the way you seem to,perceive.

Again, you act like there is nothing but greatness or trash, with no levels in between, and the silly grudge you seem to hold probably explains the lack of rationality. It actually is possible to have shortcomings without being “trash”, just as it is possible to have positive traits without being great. There is a gamut of levels in between, and to only be able to see the extremes reflects an unwillingness to evaluate in a reasonable manner. Why the animosity anyway? The fact he didn’t turn out to be as good a coach as we needed isn’t a reflection of insincerity or lack of effort or a failing in human decency or morals. it’s just a reflection that he didn’t quite have the talent for the job, much like a player may not quite have the talent to make the impact we would like on the field.
So if you dont hear anything good or bad what do you get? An average clown that got to coach for 10 years. Now sit down and be quiet

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But your point was that Jerry should use that as a selling point. So, in essence, Jerry should say to Jaylon Smith, "Look, take fewer dollars and you'll recoup it because you'll be a member of the Dallas Cowboys and you'll earn more dollars because of the Cowboy brand name."

And I'd be like J.S. "I'll take the max AND cash in on being a Cowboy." Jaylon can do that because he's a star. Noah Brown can't because he's not a star.

So I don't see how what I said doesn't fit your point. :huh:

It is not the cowboy brand Jerry would be selling. It is the Jaylon Smith brand AS A COWBOY. Players take less all the time to play for a contender. The next wave of that is coming in the form of player branding where social media followers is king. Why not sell it to the player as YOUR brand will be much larger by associating with our brand. Its just a stark reality that Dallas has way more fans and a much higher national profile than any other team. It is the NFL marquee franchise.........any player interesting in there own brand would have a huge financial incentive to play for Dallas as opposed most any other team.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
There have been about four Cowboy players that showed up on Radio Row the last few days to pitch their products.

All about that branding.
Every player that goes to Radio Row does the same thing. That’s why they go. Are you from Mars or something?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So if you dont hear anything good or bad what do you get? An average clown that got to coach for 10 years. Now sit down and be quiet
An average coach, sure. And average is not “trash”. But you still feel the need to exaggerate because of some imagined grudge against him.

Why is he a clown any more than any other average coach? Why is he worthy of disdain any more than any other average coach? Truth be told there have been many more average coaches throughout NFLhistory than great ones, but most are simply viewed by fans as coaches that tried but just didn’t have what it takes rather than fans harboring misguided animosity toward them.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Instagram wasn't around when TO played. If Jaylon Smith can amass 5x more followers as a Dallas Cowboy than a Cincinnati Bengal, why wouldn't Dallas make that part of the negotiation? Any player who can't see the difference in outside earning potential is too dumb to be on the team anyway.

And a bad fit for a team that provides that outside earning potential.

The Cowboys deliver a lot of extra benefits to an NFL player's contract. A player who doesn't value those benefits, or denies the value of them in a contract negotiation with us, is just a bad fit for win-win negotiations.

This is especially true of marquee positions, and the most true of *the* marquee position, QB. Jerry should prepare a marketing analysis of Dak as QB in Cleveland. Dak should prepare his own. There are some prime QBs available in free agency this year.

How about a marketing analysis for Brady in Dallas? Yuge. I bet Brady would appreciate running our offense too.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
An average coach, sure. And average is not “trash”. But you still feel the need to exaggerate because of some imagined grudge against him.

Why is he a clown any more than any other average coach? Why is he worthy of disdain any more than any other average coach? Truth be told there have been many more average coaches throughout NFLhistory than great ones, but most are simply viewed by fans as coaches that tried but just didn’t have what it takes rather than fans harboring misguided animosity toward them.
I exxagerate because hes a disingenuous piece of crap. Throws players and coaches under the bus. Plays favorites. Doesnt back up things he says (not a man of his word). What else needs to be said? I call him extra things because its what he is.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It is not the cowboy brand Jerry would be selling. It is the Jaylon Smith brand AS A COWBOY. Players take less all the time to play for a contender. The next wave of that is coming in the form of player branding where social media followers is king. Why not sell it to the player as YOUR brand will be much larger by associating with our brand. Its just a stark reality that Dallas has way more fans and a much higher national profile than any other team. It is the NFL marquee franchise.........any player interesting in there own brand would have a huge financial incentive to play for Dallas as opposed most any other team.

Sorry, but that's the same thing. Jerry is trying to make Jaylon Smith take fewer dollars so he can sign and remain with the Cowboys for Jaylon's brand to be connected with the COWBOYS!
Jaylon balks and goes somewhere else, there's no more Jaylon Smith brand as a Cowboy. So, in essence, Jerry is saying, "Hey, Jaylon. Stay here. Sign for less money. But make more money with your name associated with the Dallas Cowboys."

Second, he can sell it that way, but the top players who can make the guarantee money UP FRONT are generally going to take the money UP FRONT. That's why I said such a "sell" would likely only work for second-tier, third-tier players or "desperate" players than it would big-time players, because they want their money. Whatever comes with that is gravy.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I just don't think it works that way with star players; otherwise, free agents would be signing here left and right because there's no where close to Dallas a player's going to get the national and international exposure. But those players go elsewhere ANYWAY because of those fast and sure dollars.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Exactly. This topic is really enlightening in terms of insights into the minds of some Cowboys fans. Elliott acts like an idiot off the field. Love him. Smith is an upstanding citizen off the field creating a business and a foundation to help less fortunate people? ******* because he wasn't good this year and his bowling celebration is stupid and lame and he did it at the wrong time a few times this year.

Makes sense.
Yeah I guess that's what's confusing to me. This hate for Jaylon yet you have guys who have done far worse off the field and aren't doing what they need to be on Sunday. Its odd Jaylen is the poster boy for certain insecurities posters have with themselves. My complaints about him are strictly football related and even then I'm willing to wait this year and see what we really have in him.

J817

Reaction score

Im sure they do make it part of the negotiation. My point is there isn't many agents who would advise their clients to sign a cheaper deal here for the potential Instagram followers. A player/agent is going to want to negotiate the most lucrative contract possible. Perhaps it’s an incentive to sign here for the exposure but I really doubt that said exposure will convince a player to take less money here than he would in Cincinnati.