RELEASED Jaylon Smith released

Buzzbait

Reaction score
So why wouldn't we trade him?
Please don't say he was untradable.

Although we knew he was overrated, he was one of the league's top tacklers on paper.
I'd think we could get something.

Can we assume he was butthurt over losing time?

They said on the news tonight the Cowboys tried to trade him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He was waving the camera away, not encouraging the attention.

I get the hate that people have for him based on his play, but there are times where people see what they want to see.
I thought that was common sense what he was saying lol…..people are reaching on that one lol.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The reason being given was that the team was scared that Jaylon might suffer an injury and not be able to pass a physical in March, which would guarantee his $9 million in salary for 2022. Essentially, they were A-OK wasting $7 million on him in 2021 but $9 million in 2022 is a no-can-do!
Yeah well we have seen them waste more on less before on a player that I think we should refuse to mention any longer, but I guess the silver lining is they are at least semi wising up as an organization.

Reactions: CWR

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He will sign elsewhere quickly.

Just look at the tape.

Depends on what he's asking for. I think $1.5 million to $2 million would be the most for him right now. Give him a chance to prove he's worth more than that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah well we have seen them waste more on less before on a player that I think we should refuse to mention any longer, but I guess the silver lining is they are at least semi wising up as an organization.

If we have to reach for a 'silver lining' here, it's that they realized a mistake and took a step to get out of it, rather than seeing a bad contract to its end. (like they have in the past!)

HungryLion

Reaction score
I did not understand why they did that with Dak. Never did get it.

I remember it working until he past with a few guys. Scanrick, Ratliff….I have no issue with them signing guys early but it better work or your gonna feel it.

Yeah. It’s a high risk high reward type thing. I would almost rather they take the more conservative approach when it comes to
Those things.

Mannix

Reaction score
The Cowboys won't ever admit it, but I told you on here over, and over, and over, and over again that Jaclyn would be a HUGE distraction and a cancer if she were not getting all the snaps....I guarantee you that is what was happening behind the scenes.....not to mention her spastic on field pre-snap routine that probably did nothing but confuse the younger players and annoy the S out of the veterans.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That was it for me. There was nothing physical and everything mental about that play. It's only through luck and the Eagles incompetence that Sanders only got one other carry.
Yeah I’m kind of worried about our run defense even without Jaylon here. One day someone will have enough sense to see if we can stop them and it may be Saquon to do it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Cowboys won't ever admit it, but I told you on here over, and over, and over, and over again that Jaclyn would be a HUGE distraction and a cancer if she were not getting all the snaps....I guarantee you that is what was happening behind the scenes.....not to mention her spastic on field pre-snap routine that probably did nothing but confuse the younger players and annoy the S out of the veterans.
Could be the case but normally this stuff gets reported.

Aven8

Reaction score
Can I just say without starting a new thread that the internet has ruined football to me at times. I’m the 70s growing up I had no advantage of replays, game tape, Twitter etc. This is probably true through the 90s and a little beyond. Now we see EVERY single mistake over and over on Hi Res. I’m not saying Jaylon didn’t deserve to get cut. I’ve stated my disdain for his play. I guess my question is before this time would the magnification of certain peoples plays be out there and would people care if you had a W? I don’t think it would make a difference. Guys like Alvin Harper who live in a great timecapsule before would be a scrub on a message board. This is rambling I know and I’m glad Jaylon is out but I found it interesting that I probably wouldn’t have noticed the guy in the past if we were winning. And yes I have a buzz but if Ken Norton Jr was pushed around in the 90s and won
Would you hear a tree drop in the forest? Just riffing on the internet.

I remember Harper very well and even though I didn’t message, post, or tweet anyone about him, I told my friends he was overrated in person or over a landline phone!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It's nice to be the team that can afford to cut for once.

Gholstons amazing emergence is the reason for this IMO. It allows Parsons to stay at LB. And if Cox is coming on, having Jaylon as the 5th LB may have turned into a media distraction.

The defensive backs did it first. A lot of good play from those guys, then the dline joined in last week. In a league of nickel & dime defenses, who needs an underperforming $10 million linebacker?

Not sure if it's as much faith in the other linebackers as it is faith in the guys up front and behind them. I think it's a sick (as in great!) psychological move too by the coaches. This is the best "don't eat the cheese" message they could have sent without taking down the team.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

We're so weird.

In the spring we guarantee his salary after he's looked nad and declining for 2 years, and now we cut him out of the blue for *no* cap savings when he's playing his best football since 2018. I wanted to watch some Jaylon tape to see if the signs of his leg problems had diminished or disappeared. I had my first hope for him in a long time, and now he's gone.

Weird.