RELEASED Jaylon Smith released

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Said it before...and I will say it again....LVE and Kellen will lead us to a Super Bowl. Today was a big step in that coming true.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
It’s pretty apparent that his athleticism got him by at ND, the injury robbed him of that and his warts were more exposed.

He’s not a bad guy and the hate against him is only because he’s overpaid, but he’s a fringe NFL player who simply doesn’t have the instincts or burst to be a difference maker.

Perhaps he can find another team and contribute, but Dallas simply isn’t that place.

CWR

Reaction score
He made the opening day roster. His 2021 salary is now guaranteed, no?

Yes but if he gets hurt and it carries over to the offseason his 2022 salary also becomes guaranteed.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Only question I have is....how long was this in the back of the organization's mind...that this move had to be made? I kind of got the feeling something was in the works after watching him struggle @ DE...trying to fill in for D-Law.

CWR

Reaction score
Said it before...and I will say it again....LVE and Kellen will lead us to a Super Bowl. Today was a big step in that coming true.

You dont have much track record accurately forecasting the future bud.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
That should send as strong a message to the team as any.

They didn't even want to keep him as depth.

He was obviously trying to be the leader voice in the locker room and they clearly want Parson's and Diggs to be it.

DLaw will be shed next year.

Reactions: CWR

Tussinman

Reaction score
He made the opening day roster. His 2021 salary is now guaranteed, no?
He had to make the 2021 opening roster because if he didn't then he would simply say it was a result of the January 2021 wrist surgery and then claim an injury settlement which would of been his entire 2021 salary. The way his contract was written protects his 2021 and 2022 salary on the basis of injuries/surgeries from the previous season.

So no change from cutting him then and now?
Correct. That was the point the tweet was making in regards to people asking "if he's this awful then why wasn't he cut after the draft"

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

A guy here makes the most sensible argument I've seen: the risk of Jaylon's money for future years getting injury guaranteed is just too much more than any benefit he might bring as a down roster LB. We had too many other cheaper LBs showing so much that it just wasn't worth the risk anymore.