Jaylon Smith says he's getting his 4.4 speed back

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
He didn't ever have 4.4 speed either. That was kind of my point. 4.5 maybe*.

Every time he tweets about this he references faster times.

*He didn't run at the combine and I'm dubious about his alleged 4.44.

No one knows what his 40 speed would have been, he never got to run before the draft. He sure looked like he could have 4.4 or 4.5 speed on the field.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Depends on your definition of "premier" if we'll be able to afford 3 of them, but yeah at the very least we need several youngish veteran signings in the defense to give ourselves a chance at a run next year.

$15 million a year type FAs.
the best available at each position.

we have discussed salary cap implications in other threads.
A FA 5 year contract at $15 million average per year with $25 million bonus has a 1st year cap hit of $6 million.
So 3 contracts as such would cost $18 million.
We can easily open up $30 million by restructuring the 4 contracts.
Fuzzy mentioned that the 2018 committed salaries total to only about $125 million.
Cap space is not our problem.
The issue is if the worthwhile players become available at RDE, DT and CB/S.

waldoputty

Reaction score
No one knows what his 40 speed would have been, he never got to run before the draft. He sure looked like he could have 4.4 or 4.5 speed on the field.

I thought I read somewhere Jaylon was 4.4 before injury.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere Jaylon was 4.4 before injury.

Those pre-combine times are rarely reliable. Even the official pro days times are a little jenky. More interested in game tape and how fast they actually play against live opponents.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
What the Giants did this year has no bearing on what we should or shouldn't do.

We have an elite offensive line, an elite running back, and a stud young QB. Of course we need to build the defense.

Didn't say we didn't. But we don't need to go spend 200 million to do it. CB is our most pressing need, only because we are running out of bodies.. carr and Mo likely gone. We should be able to find a decent CB in FA that won't break the bank.. After that.. I don't see much being done in FA. Maybe a JPP. Don't know what his market value will be. But other than that, its the draft.. that is how this team is built and should continue to do so.

Rockdoc

Reaction score
Jaylan is very fast especially for a linebacker. tip top speed wont happen until nerve is repaired.
the brace maybe a necessity for now and may remain until his brain is comfortable.
Sean Elliott (Arizona then Spurs) had did this very thing in the past
easily worth the "risk"

waldoputty

Reaction score
Jaylan is very fast especially for a linebacker. tip top speed wont happen until nerve is repaired.
the brace maybe a necessity for now and may remain until his brain is comfortable.
Sean Elliott (Arizona then Spurs) had did this very thing in the past
easily worth the "risk"

Sean Elliott had foot drop?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To be honest, that is starting to bother me too.
He is clearly behind some of the cases I have seen, but not behind so bad that it seems something is definitely wrong.
Also if surgery intervention is needed, it would have been done by now.

There are different degrees of recovery, and it just be more rehab is needed.
So it is possible his recovery is not that good or not that complete.
No one knows except probably the doctors who are not talking.

The interesting thing is that Archer said:
1. he watched Jaylon in pass rush drills and change of direction drills beyond straight ahead running.
2. he said Jaylon was performing like new even with the brace.

I dont know if that is some type of PR move to prepare us for Jaylon playing with a brace.
Or it is just that more rehab is needed.
At this point, the possibility that Jaylon requiring a brace to play has definitely crossed my mind.
If that is the case, Archer's report about his performance would be quite important.
More patience is needed, oh well.
There is a video of him doing cone drills that I think was from training camp. He looked better than most humans that have fully functional nerves.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
There is a video of him doing cone drills that I think was from training camp. He looked better than most humans that have fully functional nerves.

Jaylon is a twitter, instagram and photoshop ninja. I will wait for the doctors to clear him before I believe anything he posts.

Silverstar

Reaction score
If he can't fully participate in training camp after a year removed from that injury with all the rehabbing he's done, than he can't possibly be progressing very well. He can't be wasting the early part of his career waiting for a nerve to regenerate. We need players on the football field practicing to to help this defense, not spending a second summer rehabbing a college injury that caused them to free fall in the 2016 draft. If he's not 100% by training camp and can't fully participate I doubt we'll play him in preseason games.

I'm not saying he's going to be a wasted pick but so far he has been. Had we not thrown away a second round pick on Gregory and made a smart defensive selection with that pick and drafted a healthy defensive player with our high second pick this past April it might have helped us get by Green Bay last Sunday. We have no idea at this point if Smith is going to get back to the level he was.

He suffered a very serious injury that involved nerve damage which caused teams to pass him up in the draft which shows the risk the Cowboys took. It's taking gambles on defensive players that's been part of the reason our defense continues to lag behind our offense. Just look at all the pro bowlers we've had the past 10 years on offense, compared to the defense.

I'm pretty confident he's going to play in games, at what point this year I have no idea. His nerve could be anywhere from 25% to 75% right now and who knows except him, but it's definitely progress. I just don't see any reason to rush him into playing games that don't count. I'm anxious to see him play too, but his injury is unlike any the Cowboys had with a player before.

Patience!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm pretty confident he's going to play in games, at what point this year I have no idea. His nerve could be anywhere from 25% to 75% right now and who knows except him, but it's definitely progress. I just don't see any reason to rush him into playing games that don't count. I'm anxious to see him play too, but his injury is unlike any the Cowboys had with a player before.

Patience!

There's some urgency to get him on the field in 2017 after missing the entire 2016 season. Every year is precious in a football players career and you can't just be waiting around year after year for a nerve to regenerate. Everyone figured he would miss his rookie season but after a full year we need to start seeing some real progress with him this off-season. If he's not ready to go by training camp a lot of doubts are going to start creeping in.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He didn't ever have 4.4 speed either. That was kind of my point. 4.5 maybe*.

Every time he tweets about this he references faster times.

*He didn't run at the combine and I'm dubious about his alleged 4.44.

He clocked a 3.94 in high school.

waldoputty

Reaction score

someone said they could tell his left foot was the one that had the issue - could you tell from the video? I could not.