Video: Jaylon Smith Should Be The Highest Paid LB In NFL?

ItzKelz

Reaction score
If given a choice of keeping one, Smith or LVE, I'm taking LVE every day and twice on Sunday's.
Jaylon can do everything LVE can do but more....specifically against the run and as a pass rusher. If Smith was primarily asked to play in space like LVE was last season he would top 3 in tackles.

Sydla

Reaction score
IMO, Smith is better than LVE because I think he's more versatile. And if Smith reaches his ceiling, his ceiling is higher than LVE's IMO.

But it's a nice problem to have debating which of our LBs might be the best in the league.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jaylon can do everything LVE can do but more....specifically against the run and as a pass rusher. If Smith was primarily asked to play in space like LVE was last season he would top 3 in tackles.

sfs12.png

McKDaddy

Reaction score
.the kid simply has no weaknesses.
I don't know how you can say that. He has improved but still struggles getting away from blocks.

Also, there are times when he doesn't seem to really know what to do. He goes hard …. but its to a predetermined point …. when the play is going away from that point. Either he doesn't have the instincts or he isn't following them.

Don't get me wrong, he is very talented and may warrant this discussion in the future... but not now.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I don't know how you can say that. He has improved but still struggles getting away from blocks.

Also, there are times when he doesn't seem to really know what to do. He goes hard …. but its to a predetermined point …. when the play is going away from that point. Either he doesn't have the instincts or he isn't following them.

Don't get me wrong, he is very talented and may warrant this discussion in the future... but not now.
Blasphemy. What he does to OL should be outlawed. He acts like they are not even there. TE's are mere insects to him lol.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
IMO Jaylon is the most talented player on the Cowboys but does not get the credit for everything that he does for the defense. He literally has no weaknesses....he's excellent against the run, in coverage, in space, pass rushing, great tackler, leadership and signature big play celebration lol. We are going to have to pay for his skill set at some point. Thoughts?

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaw!!!!!!

Go Cowboys!

staubach24

Reaction score
I feel that defense wins championships and the priorities for the Cowboys should lean towards that side of the ball. Locking up Jaylon and LVE as well as Byron for the next 5+ years should be of paramount importance. Without them, we would have to win a lot of shootouts and this team is simply not built that way. The team would find itself with big deficits that would require us to abandon the run game, thus putting it in Dak’s hands. As good as his offensive weapons are, I don’t think he’d fare well in those types of games. Our defense has improved greatly over the past 4 to 5 years and mostly through the draft. Make those defensive players priority one,JJ.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

See I disagree..

Jaylon is way better at playing downhill.. I'll give him that.

But LVE is abnormally good in space and getting in passing lanes.

If it were 90's football then hey i'd probably take Jaylon but LVE is like a DB that can Cover and a do it all linebacker as well.

I like Jaylon going sideways and think he's best when he is going downhill.

BTW, we saw the Rookie LVE.. The LVE may close the gap on Jaylons downhill advantage over him after an offseason.

This guy is 6'4 255 and he has a lot of room to fill out that frame.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I feel that defense wins championships and the priorities for the Cowboys should lean towards that side of the ball. Locking up Jaylon and LVE as well as Byron for the next 5+ years should be of paramount importance. Without them, we would have to win a lot of shootouts and this team is simply not built that way. The team would find itself with big deficits that would require us to abandon the run game, thus putting it in Dak’s hands. As good as his offensive weapons are, I don’t think he’d fare well in those types of games. Our defense has improved greatly over the past 4 to 5 years and mostly through the draft. Make those defensive players priority one,JJ.
Very high on resigning Jaylon and LVE but I think Byron is replaceable.

John813

Reaction score

I agree.

Curious to see how the team handles this upcoming offseason due to Jones and Brown pending UFAs.

Will this be another 2017 offseason or will we retain one of them?
Awuzie and Lewis are an UFA in 2021.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

We need to see more Byron before he gets a new deal.

We've seen him as a rookie and last year at corner. He's looked really good both years but we need another year before giving him stupid money. Especially after a hip surgery.

Smart move is probably just to draft another corner and keep young corners on rookie deals and only pay them if they are a next level corner.

Invest in front 7 guys on defense and just draft in the secondary.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
He's incredible. Are we ready to say he's the best LB in the NFL?

I don't think he's the best on this team. I'd take LVE all day over Jaylon.
Honestly I don't think it's that close. Jaylon isn't particularly good in space, including coverage.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Jaylon was our best defender by the end of last season. But he needs more cache to earn that kind of cash.

Sydla

Reaction score
Honestly I don't think it's that close. Jaylon isn't particularly good in space, including coverage.

Actually, he's pretty good in space and coverage. If anything, where he struggles is when he's engaged and not using his athleticism in tracking down

Depending on your view of PFF, they basically called him one of the better coverage LBs in the NFL.