Video: Jaylon Smith Should Be The Highest Paid LB In NFL?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Actually, he's pretty good in space and coverage. If anything, where he struggles is when he's engaged and not using his athleticism in tracking down

Depending on your view of PFF, they basically called him one of the better coverage LBs in the NFL.
PFF sucks.

He's asked to just cover outlets - leaking RBs and TEs - and good LBs will always grade high there. They don't ask him to get depth and sit in zones often though, because he's not that good at it. I agree that he also struggles to get off of blocks, but most run-and-hit LBers are like that.

Jaylon reminds me of Lavar Arrington more than anyone else. When he is free to run in straight lines, and everything is in front of him, he is devastating. But if he's not free to just run and make plays, he can get caught up in the wash. That applies to pass coverage too. He's not a freelancer like Arrington, but he is very much the same type of player.

quickccc

Reaction score
I don’t think Jaylon is in Luke Kuehly’s league… yet. In fact I still question if he’s even misplaced as a middle LB
and probably fits the outside LB more. Just seems like he could be more natural as an OLB than middle mike man.

I think his blitzing skills would serve best off the edge and in space where he can maneuver more, than getting stone in traffic up the middle.
But that’s just me.
Kuehly makes much more plays and turnovers vs pass but then Jaylon will only be in his 2nd year as a full time starter.

He’s extremely athletic, and incredibly weight room strong, and he is tremendous in flow pursuit and catching up with ball carrier down the line, he's a run and hit missile.
and once he builds up momentum, he can really pack a big crushing pop. On occasions he’s even caused forced fumbles with those pops.

I think because he's so athletic, disciplined and capable in man coverage, he's probably the only LB that stays on the field in obvious nickel.
Although Kris Richard is going to have to devise a way to get BOTH Jaylon and LVE on the field in nickel at the same time, as Vander Esch is just too much of a playmaker vs pass
to keep off the field on obvious passing downs, imo.
That's taking possible turnovers off the field.

While I think Jaylon is more pure athlete than Vander Esch, I think LVE is the more instinctive of the two and will likely make more INT turnovers than Jaylon, especially when it comes
to playing the passing lanes.

- If fact, only two flaws I see of Jaylon thus far; his instincts seems off vs run at times, where he seems to mis-guess and misread gaps and lanes, and he can be fooled by misdirection plays.
The Cam newton RPO runs vs Carolina and Rams motion offense in playoffs were examples of how he can still get out of position at times.

Plus he’s not there yet in dropping into passing lanes and making a jump on thrown passes for INTs.
But let’s see if Jaylon gets better in these areas as he gains even more game experience. And again he’s just only had one full season as a full time starter.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
He may end up being highest paid after this upcoming year.

If he goes all pro and in the convo for defensive player of year then why not be highest paid but until then I don’t think so.

Sydla

Reaction score
PFF sucks.

He's asked to just cover outlets - leaking RBs and TEs - and good LBs will always grade high there. They don't ask him to get depth and sit in zones often though, because he's not that good at it. I agree that he also struggles to get off of blocks, but most run-and-hit LBers are like that.

Jaylon reminds me of Lavar Arrington more than anyone else. When he is free to run in straight lines, and everything is in front of him, he is devastating. But if he's not free to just run and make plays, he can get caught up in the wash. That applies to pass coverage too. He's not a freelancer like Arrington, but he is very much the same type of player.

This is simply not an accurate assessment. In fact, in the article I read (and I will try to find it), Smith had deeper coverage responsibilities than LVE, sometimes even being asked to cover slot WRs.

He's pretty good in coverage.

Last edited:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
This is simply not an accurate assessment. In fact, in the article I read (and I will try to find it), Smith had deeper coverage responsibilities than LVE, sometimes even being asked to cover slot WRs. There were a few instances where he was 25 yards down field covering a TE or WR. He was only one of three off the ball LBs in the the NFL with over 95 targets in the last three years to surrender one TD or less.

He's pretty good in coverage.
"A few instances" means he's not really asked to do it. I'm willing to say that he's good in man coverage, even down the field. But getting depth doesn't mean 25 yards down the field covering a TE in the seam - it means preventing those 12-15 yard intermediate passes over the middle, and LVE is way better at it. What I meant by playing in space was zone, having to anticipate route combos and fill lanes. He's not particularly good at it because he's not an overly instinctive player. The majority of those 95 targets are checkdowns.

I don't love highlight films, but just watch the first minute. There is a really good diving pick down the field, but there are 5 instances in which the underneath route is caught right in front of him and then he makes the tackle. Those, I bet, count as targets, and that's generally what he's asked to do in coverage. The other plays in the hole against the run, he's coming straight down hill.

Sydla

Reaction score
"A few instances" means he's not really asked to do it. I'm willing to say that he's good in man coverage, even down the field. But getting depth doesn't mean 25 yards down the field covering a TE in the seam - it means preventing those 12-15 yard intermediate passes over the middle, and LVE is way better at it. What I meant by playing in space was zone, having to anticipate route combos and fill lanes. He's not particularly good at it because he's not an overly instinctive player. The majority of those 95 targets are checkdowns.

I don't love highlight films, but just watch the first minute. There is a really good diving pick down the field, but there are 5 instances in which the underneath route is caught right in front of him and then he makes the tackle. Those, I bet, count as targets, and that's generally what he's asked to do in coverage. The other plays in the hole against the run, he's coming straight down hill.

LVE is not WAY better at it.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
LVE is not WAY better at it.

Got proof of that commentary or are you going by feel and what your eyes tell you?
Feel and eyes...it's also why they drafted him. There's no metric for "quarterback didn't throw the ball b/c the LB was in the way." We know that Sean Lee was always great at that, better than most any LBer in the league, but there's no stat that supports it. We can just go by INTs and PBUs...Jaylon has 0 and 6 in in 22 starts. LVE has 2 and 7 in 11 starts, but I don't think that really paints an accurate picture.

This is the type of play that LVE is good at, it's what Sean Lee was great at. Jaylon has never shown the instincts to do this with any consistency.

Sydla

Reaction score
Feel and eyes...it's also why they drafted him. There's no metric for "quarterback didn't throw the ball b/c the LB was in the way." We know that Sean Lee was always great at that, better than most any LBer in the league, but there's no stat that supports it. We can just go by INTs and PBUs...Jaylon has 0 and 6 in in 22 starts. LVE has 2 and 7 in 11 starts, but I don't think that really paints an accurate picture.

This is the type of play that LVE is good at, it's what Sean Lee was great at. Jaylon has never shown the instincts to do this with any consistency.

It took me a few seconds to find a play of Smith dropping into deep coverage and stopping a pass to Adam Humphries against Tampa.

Again, this isn't meant to be some criticism of LVE but you really underestimate how good Smith is, even in coverage.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
It took me a few seconds to find a play of Smith dropping into deep coverage and stopping a pass to Adam Humphries against Tampa.

Again, this isn't meant to be some criticism of LVE but you really underestimate how good Smith is, even in coverage.
He broke up 2 passes against Humphries. On BOTH plays, he planted his back foot and drove down hill. On the one I assume you're referring to, it was 3rd and 16 - he was way off the ball at the snap and dropped less than 5 yards.
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...ay-at-an-extremely-high-level-for-the-cowboys

Smith is excellent when he can plant his foot and go. There are few, if any, examples of him being disruptive in coverage because he can diagnose and anticipate what's going on behind him or laterally.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
IMO Jaylon is the most talented player on the Cowboys but does not get the credit for everything that he does for the defense. He literally has no weaknesses....he's excellent against the run, in coverage, in space, pass rushing, great tackler, leadership and signature big play celebration lol. We are going to have to pay for his skill set at some point. Thoughts?
He's incredible. Are we ready to say he's the best LB in the NFL? I don't think he's the best on this team. I'd take LVE all day over Jaylon.

Technically, two different positions and both are the best at their positions for the Cowboys.
2019 NFL 4-3 Outside Linebacker LVE is ranked 5th in the league. Now as for Inside Linebacker, Jaylon is also ranked 5th in the league.

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-linebacker-rankings

I think we need to have a contract Zone :facepalm:
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: one more day...just one more day.
The OP has a very valid point. After this season, Jaylon could easily move up from the #5 spot to #1 as the best Inside Linebacker in the league.
Stats don't lie. You may wish to read them before ridiculing another poster. :facepalm:
anim_64.gif

Sammy

Reaction score
Jaylon can do everything LVE can do but more....specifically against the run and as a pass rusher. If Smith was primarily asked to play in space like LVE was last season he would top 3 in tackles.

LVE's name has more letters.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
See I disagree..

Jaylon is way better at playing downhill.. I'll give him that.

But LVE is abnormally good in space and getting in passing lanes.

If it were 90's football then hey i'd probably take Jaylon but LVE is like a DB that can Cover and a do it all linebacker as well.

I like Jaylon going sideways and think he's best when he is going downhill.

BTW, we saw the Rookie LVE.. The LVE may close the gap on Jaylons downhill advantage over him after an offseason.

This guy is 6'4 255 and he has a lot of room to fill out that frame.
Jaylon is like a DB in space. Watch the vid.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Technically, two different positions and both are the best at their positions for the Cowboys.
2019 NFL 4-3 Outside Linebacker LVE is ranked 5th in the league. Now as for Inside Linebacker, Jaylon is also ranked 5th in the league.

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-linebacker-rankings

The OP has a very valid point. After this season, Jaylon could easily move up from the #5 spot to #1 as the best Inside Linebacker in the league.
Stats don't lie. You may wish to read them before ridiculing another poster. :facepalm:
anim_64.gif
:facepalm:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Agree..

You watch Jaylon. His natural instincts are going downhill and thumping the crap out of whoever is in his way and last season we saw the sideline to sideline football that we had hope for.

When he has to turn and diagonally or flip his hips that is where i'd say it doesn't come as natural for him.

LVE it's the complete opposite. He's not the downhill thumper (yet) but sideline to sideline and flipping his hips and running backwards is a piece of cake for him.

Both are amazing and compliment each other well.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Agree..

You watch Jaylon. His natural instincts are going downhill and thumping the crap out of whoever is in his way and last season we saw the sideline to sideline football that we had hope for.

When he has to turn and diagonally or flip his hips that is where i'd say it doesn't come as natural for him.

LVE it's the complete opposite. He's not the downhill thumper (yet) but sideline to sideline and flipping his hips and running backwards is a piece of cake for him.

Both are amazing and compliment each other well.
Jaylon did it all.....please watch the vid. Im really surprised that I have to tell Cowboys fans about Jaylon....

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jaylon did it all.....please watch the vid. Im really surprised that I have to tell Cowboys fans about Jaylon....
You don't have to tell them about Jaylon, some knew about him when he was drafted and didn't like it, nope, not one bit.

As far as the highest paid? Don't think so. Let's see here Lawrence, Prescott, Elliott and Cooper all likely in the top 5 and you want a LB at 1st? Where is all of this cap coming from?

ItzKelz

Reaction score
You don't have to tell them about Jaylon, some knew about him when he was drafted and didn't like it, nope, not one bit.

As far as the highest paid? Don't think so. Let's see here Lawrence, Prescott, Elliott and Cooper all likely in the top 5 and you want a LB at 1st? Where is all of this cap coming from?
Definitely do not think he should be highest paid. Although I think he has highest paid talent and ability but not enough time on the job.....of course neither did Garoppolo and he got 27 mil a year for 7 games played.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I don't think anyone had a problem with Jaylon the player.

I think people had a problem with competing with ourselves to draft him and doing it with a premium 2nd round pick.

We didn't need to do that. Thankfully it worked out but I still hate that draft pick because of where he was picked and the risk.

As a player. He's incredible and most people knew that before the draft. He was a top 5 pick easy.