Jaylon Smith Sucks

Sydla

Reaction score
Jaylon has been nothing more than a PR stunt. Only Jerry would buy into his "feel good" story and draft him as high as he did. Jaylon was never going to amount to anything. Jerry sees one single good year out of 3 and decides to extend him to a big contract. That's Jerry running this team like a family grocery store. He had another year left on his contract. Why not let him play it through? Especially after that god awful Rams game where they got embarrassed to put it lightly. Why would you extend him after that? Make him earn it. He had no leverage to hold out like Zeke.

Now we have this goofy loser who is terrible for some years now.

But don't stop there. Sean Lee is now terrible. He can't tackle and he's never in position. And don't forget LVE. Before he got hurt, he was terrible. What was once thought to be the strength of this defense, is a huge liability. So many thought LVE/Jaylon was going to be the future for the next decade.

I think they had their souls snatched after the Rams playoff game. They have not been the same since. And the worst thing about it all, they said they didn't even bother watching the tape of it. That they were just going to keep doing what they do. Awesome.

Which tells me there is something bigger at play. I mean what are the odds that EVERY linebacker we have regresses in the same year?

Coincidence? Or something bigger?

I am going with something bigger. Personally, I think we misuse our LBs but that's just me.

John813

Reaction score
Nevermind, this guy is a lost cause.

Read the athletic article for what I'm talking about.

He was more concerned about trying to find his second cellphone in the lockerroom post game.

Snippet:

Then he tossed his coat into the other stall before — whew — he found his second phone underneath a few papers on the bench.
That was the most frustration he was going to show.
He professed his “love” for Garrett. He insisted the team was still “all in.” And while he sure as hell saw room for improvement, he didn’t see a need for panic.

JMPearson

Reaction score
Zeke played well when gotten the chance...for the most part

Zeke as played terrible for the contract he cant catch, no way he is worth the money they gave him, what Zeke did to this team will never be forgiven.

Big_D

Reaction score
Which tells me there is something bigger at play. I mean what are the odds that EVERY linebacker we have regresses in the same year?

I am going with something bigger. Personally, I think we misuse our LBs but that's just me.

You have to improve the interior of the D line. Keep these LBs flowing to the football. Cause we already know they aren’t fighting off blocks. And some real coaching to get these guys to recognize a screen play. They always seem out of position or lost?

Proof

Reaction score
Man I wish we could go back and find the thread when we signed him to a massive contract.

I said he was an okay player, def not worthy of the contract. He had one awful year and one good year. 95 percent of others talked about how awesome Jaylon is- best lb in the league.

now he has two awful years and one good year.

you were wrong at the time. He played MUCH better than an “ok player”. In fact he was pretty electric. As far as the contract is concerned as of today you’re looking right, but don’t pay yourself on the back too hard for a faulty opinion that has merit in hindsight

DenCWBY

Reaction score
JJ made a another terrible contract decision with JS. He paid (like he did his head coach) for a person that stays out of trouble and has a positive attitude. He never considered offering a contract for actual on the field talent and value. He'll do the same for Dak in a few months.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
You have to improve the interior of the D line. Keep these LBs flowing to the football. Cause we already know they aren’t fighting off blocks. And some real coaching to get these guys to recognize a screen play. They always seem out of position or lost?
On sweep plays he immediately runs backwards away from LOS, dodging around blockers. By the time is finished, he's 10yards back and pushing the RB out of bounds. I'll bet $$ to donuts, in the film room, he gets nothing but praise.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Yea, that was a putrid game from him.

Either he has extremely poor awareness(hellen keller level) or he saw #83 injured and still celebrated a pass break up.

Dude can't plant and turn. He can still be fast in a straight line but if he has to make a quick left or right he just keeps on running straight.

Can we pay him in purp drank?

I just hope he either matures or a new coach can get the best out of him again, along with LVE. Cut the celebrations and howls. Grow up and get back to the huddle.

I agree, get him some purple Gatorade. But that guy with his head on right would be the best LB on team.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

I'm thinking that a healthy LVE in the middle covered up a lot of warts on the defense. Moving Jaylon inside was a disaster.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm thinking that a healthy LVE in the middle covered up a lot of warts on the defense. Moving Jaylon inside was a disaster.

I never really understood why they did that either. As I have said elsewhere, I think we misuse our talent on defense either with the schemes or where we play guys. For example, we seem to stunt a ton and frankly, I think it hurts us when you have a guy like Quinn that can be a one on one edge terror.

And because of stuff like this, I am really hesitant to start to dump on players other than areas we knew were a problem long before this season (such as DT, S).

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I never really understood why they did that either. As I have said elsewhere, I think we misuse our talent on defense either with the schemes or where we play guys. For example, we seem to stunt a ton and frankly, I think it hurts us when you have a guy like Quinn that can be a one on one edge terror.

And because of stuff like this, I am really hesitant to start to dump on players other than areas we knew were a problem long before this season (such as DT, S).

Speaking of that.. They need to shut LVE down for the year.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Man I wish we could go back and find the thread when we signed him to a massive contract.

I said he was an okay player, def not worthy of the contract. He had one awful year and one good year. 95 percent of others talked about how awesome Jaylon is- best lb in the league.

now he has two awful years and one good year.
And people thought I was crazy for saying I would rather pay Zeke 15 million than Jaylon 12

Easy decision. Jaylon could be replaced by a draft pick (3rd or 4th round) and we would do better.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I tried liking this guy, but im done. Hes trash.

Celebrating when down 17 points in the 4th quarter

Celebrating when a player is injured as a result of his “coverage”

Acting like he picked off a pass that he clearly didnt catch and knowing a tie goes to the receiver

Clear. Eye. Doo-doo
When he ran past the receiver in the flat instead of breaking down and nailing him I was done!

mmohican29

Reaction score
I don't think Smith was waving to the camera for attention. To me, it's more of a. "not right now dude, go somewhere else" type of vibe I'm getting.

Probably would of been better to just ignore the camera there, but whatever.

That's exactly what it was.

The fact that he gives so much care to the camera to begin with is a bigger cause for concern and symptomatic of his laissez fare attitude since getting paid that the entire Defense has soaked up like a sponge.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

It's hard for me to conceive that every last starter for the Cowboys is awful.
I think you have said it as well as others that this team's schemes are vanilla - both offense and defense. Other teams and players have said it, NFL television commentators have said it and even fans with a semblance of football knowledge have said it. When everyone says your schemes are so transparent that they know what you're going to do before you/they even hike the ball, that can't be anything but discouraging to the players to know that you don't even have an advantage in coaching.

Get the right coach in here and the right staff, and I believe you'll see how much talent this team really has. But players can become discouraged and disenchanted if they know they aren't being adequately prepared for games.

Sydla

Reaction score
It's hard for me to conceive that every last starter for the Cowboys is awful.
I think you have said it as well as others that this team's schemes are vanilla - both offense and defense. Other teams and players have said it, NFL television commentators have said it and even fans with a semblance of football knowledge have said it. When everyone says your schemes are so transparent that they know what you're going to do before you/they even hike the ball, that can't be anything but discouraging to the players to know that you don't even have an advantage in coaching.

Get the right coach in here and the right staff, and I believe you'll see how much talent this team really has. But players can become discouraged and disenchanted if they know they aren't being adequately prepared for games.

Aikman said it clear as day last night about the defense. He said they are pretty basic, play a lot of single high safety and basically tell an offense, here's what we are doing, beat us............... and a lot of teams are doing just that.

CWR

Reaction score
He celebrates every snap bro.

No self awareness at all. He has no appreciation for how bad he and his defense have been playing. Instead of being embarrassed and humbled he is out there celebrating inconsequential plays while being ran out of the stadium.

The very first thing the next coach needs to do is put these guys in check. There is no room for celebration when your are down 17 points. This attitude of relishing minor accomplishments and feeling satisfied has to stop.

This team has taken on the persona of JG, clapping and saying we will get em next time. If we dont get a true leader and a ball buster that demands more of these guys they will continue to be comfortable in their failures.

CWR

Reaction score
He’s not healthy. The contract he got was actually a bargain for how he played last year. There’s some sources who say he took it now because he knew his knee was regressing. If we didn’t sign him until after this offseason we’re looking at maybe 5/6 million a year. Jaylon played it smart and the Cowboys got screwed.

With all the coaches, tape, and medical staff we have there is absolutely no excuse to sign a guy who had a catastrophic injury that appears to be regressing.

If he knew we damn sure should have as well.