Jaylon Smith to wear 9

stiletto

Reaction score
I am guessing he had to buy about 2500-5000 jerseys at $100/each.

I would sign each one, maybe get teammates to also sign, and sell on the internet at $250/each. Make some money off the deal.

I feel sorry for the players who have to buy these jerseys. But, they have probably been getting a good cut of those sold for years.

Maybe he will just write it off as a tax deduction and guess who picks the tab up in that case.

Maybe he will donate the jerseys to people in need.

The NFL probably sells these jerseys at a huge markup. Probably costs about $10 to make at some sweat shop overseas and they charge people here $100. NFL, team, and player have to get their cut.

“It’s a big club and you aren’t in it.” - George Carlin

Dumbest thing about it to me is wasting $500,000 to change numbers not that he is wearing #9... It's not like it is going to make him play any better.

Who donates jersey's? Not like they'll keep you warm in winter. LOL

The guy is a legend in his own mind. Least likeable Cowboy player to me in a long time.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Dumbest thing about it to me is wasting $500,000 to change numbers not that he is wearing #9... It's not like it is going to make him play any better.

Who donates jersey's? Not like they'll keep you warm in winter. LOL

He could visit kids in a hospital and donate a jersey. He could offer free jerseys for those who attend his football camps.

Have Cowboys sign the jersey and it becomes worth money.

He can do a lot with the jerseys. He could donate them to a rural poor village.

stiletto

Reaction score
He could visit kids in a hospital and donate a jersey. He could offer free jerseys for those who attend his football camps.

Have Cowboys sign the jersey and it becomes worth money.

He can do a lot with the jerseys. He could donate them to a rural poor village.

That's fine, I don't really care. He'll probably figure a way to write it off in his taxes...

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
The people that hate Smith are going to hate him no matter what he does. Anything newsworthy is going to elicit a visceral, negative response from those people.

Him changing numbers is like catnip to them.

Personally, I don’t hate him. I want him to play well and if he doesn’t, then I want him off the team.

I’m not convinced that he will play well but by the same token, I’m not sure that he won’t. Ultimately, I’m just going to watch and see what he does this season when he’s in a better system and not having to play 95% of the snaps.

As always, time will tell all.

links18

Reaction score
Total lack of self-awareness. Kind of like how he has been playing on the field.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
That's fine, I don't really care. He'll probably figure a way to write it off in his taxes...

Just like all businesses do. I knew someone who wrote a corvette off as a business expense. I don’t blame him for writing it off though if he does. Smart thing to do. He would just be following his accountant’s advice. All legal.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What he actually does with the jerseys is most important. I am guessing he made a business decision. No one buying #54 any more. People will buy #9 since it is new and has potential to be a collector’s item if he plays well. People gambling like buying rookie cards.
This begs the question of what the player gets, if anything, out of the sale of a jersey. Does he get a piece of the pie, or is the jersey proprietary to the NFL and the team? I've never heard this discussed before.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
This begs the question of what the player gets, if anything, out of the sale of a jersey. Does he get a piece of the pie, or is the jersey proprietary to the NFL and the team? I've never heard this discussed before.

Player definitely gets a piece of the pie. Why else would he have to buy up the old jerseys? Probably a big piece of the pie too.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
entitled, not worthy of asking and A all pro in his own mind. Dallas has given much more than he has given to Dallas. No one can argue that. No One.!!:( He is the Corvette you bought that never ran just right.
Most numbers that can be issued have been worn by a high quality Cowboy at some point. If not having yet proven to be the same level as those players prohibits the wearing of a number, no rookie would be worthy of a jersey at all, and eventually there wouldn't be enough numbers to even go around for all the veterans.

Should Jaylon Smith be wearing Randy White and Chuck Howley's number? If he shouldn't wear Romo's #, how can he wear White's?
Should Emmitt have ever gotten Bob Hayes number?
Should Zach Martin have ever gotten Rayfield Wright's number?
Should Tony Pollard wear Mel Renfro's number?
Should Trystan Hill wear Too Tall Jones number?
Should Vander Esch wear LeRoy Jordan's number?
Should Justin Hamilton have Harvey Martin's number?
Should Cedrick Wilson wear Danny White's number?

This could go on and on, and the reality is it isn't unusual for players to pick a number they prefer, and the only reason Jaylon didn't pick 9 before was because it wasn't allowed under league rules for a LB at that time. And Jaylon did have the courtesy to reach out to Romo.

It's just not feasible to make every number that every outstanding Cowboy player ever wore off limits.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Player definitely gets a piece of the pie. Why else would he have to buy up the old jerseys? Probably a big piece of the pie too.
Because the Cowboys and the NFL committed production and distribution dollars to create those jerseys based on Jaylon's original decision to wear #54, and the decision to change jerseys would cause the Cowboys and NFL to lose money on the jerseys that weren't sold.

And no, there isn't a chance in hell the player gets a big piece of the pie. The player has a job because the NFL and Cowboys exist, not the other way around, and the player has no proprietary right to that jersey or number. And it is the NFL and team that pays all the expenses associate with producing, distributing and marketing, and if the player gets a piece at all it would be microscopic compared to their piece.

Last edited:

Winonesoon

Reaction score
Most numbers that can be issued have been worn by a high quality Cowboy at some point. If not having yet proven to be the same level as those players prohibits the wearing of a number, no rookie would be worthy of a jersey at all, and there wouldn't even be enough numbers to even go around for all the veterans.

Should Jaylon Smith be wearing Randy White and Chuck Howley's number? If he shouldn't wear Romo's #, how can he wear White's?
Should Emmitt have ever gotten Bob Hayes number?
Should Zach Martin have ever gotten Rayfield Wright's number?
Should Tony Pollard wear Mel Renfro's number?
Should Trystan Hill wear Too Tall Jones number?
Should Vander Esch wear LeRoy Jordan's number?
Should Justin Hamilton have Harvey Martin's number?
Should Cedrick Wilson wear Danny White's number?

This could go on and on, and the reality is it isn't unusual for players to pick a number they prefer, and the only reason Jaylon didn't pick 9 before was because it wasn't allowed under league rules for a LB at that time. And Jaylon did have the courtesy to reach out to Romo.

You can't just make every number that every outstanding Cowboy player ever wore off limits.
True.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Because the Cowboys and the NFL committed production and distribution dollars to create those jerseys based on Jaylon's original decision to wear #54, and the decision to change jerseys would cause the Cowboys and NFL to lose money on the jerseys that weren't sold.

All true but doesn’t change the likely fact that the player gets a piece of the pie. The NFL makes the rules. The players wouldn’t agree if they weren’t getting a piece of the pie.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
All true but doesn’t change the likely fact that the player gets a piece of the pie. The NFL makes the rules. The players wouldn’t agree if they weren’t getting a piece of the pie.
Doesn't take away from the fact that it's still a stupid rule. Quit trying to justify it. Put yourself in the players shoe. The #54 jersey will be a collectors item as they will not make anymore.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But does the player have to agree? The Cowboy logo is the property of the Cowboys, and the NFL logo is the property of the NFL, and the player has no legal right to the jersey or number.

That's the point I'm making. The trademarks and copyrights and patents and franchises all belong to the NFL and/or the franchise.

And remember this … the collective bargaining agreement provides that players get a portion of NFL revenue, and although we generally think of that in terms of TV revenue, I believe that includes merchandise sales too.

Last edited:

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Doesn't take away from the fact that it's still a stupid rule. Quit trying to justify it. Put yourself in the players shoe. The #54 jersey will be a collectors item as they will not make anymore.

Yea, why don’t you go buy a couple hundred of those #54 jerseys? They’ll be collectors items.

I never said is wasn’t a stupid rule. Just saying the players get a cut. Not justifying it.

I did put myself in the player’s shoes. Go back and read.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
]

But does the player have to agree? The Cowboy logo is the property of the Cowboys, and the NFL logo is the property of the NFL, and the player has no absolute claim or legal right to the number ….

That's the point I'm making. The trademarks and copywrites and patents and franchises all belong to the NFL and/or the franchise.

And remember this … the collective bargaining agreement provides that players get a portion of NFL revenue, and although we generally think of that in terms of TV revenue, I believe that includes merchandise sales too.

Yes, the players have to agree. It is probably part of the union agreement and in all contracts.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, the players have to agree. It is probably part of the union agreement and in all contracts.
How do you know that? What is the legal argument?

And think about it - have you ever seen any discussion of merchandise sales as a point of contention in an NFL player's contract negotiation?

If the player has no legal right to the jersey or number, no ownership in the copyrights and patents and trademarks, and no part of the cost of production, distribution and marketing, what is the legal claim? The player can't legally produce and sell the jersey himself because he has no proprietary right to it. The team and NFL have that.

But even if they do agree to it in the contract, how do you know the agreement isn't that one of the conditions of employment, and of receiving the upfront bonus and the annual salary, is that the team and NFL have the exclusive right to market and sell merchandise?

Besides, again, even if they don't get a direct piece of the sale of each jersey, the CBA provides that a percentage of all NFL revenue goes to the players as a whole. That would seem to be the way it works - all players get a part of all revenue rather than individual players getting a direct piece of each individual jersey sold.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yea, why don’t you go buy a couple hundred of those #54 jerseys? They’ll be collectors items.

I never said is wasn’t a stupid rule. Just saying the players get a cut. Not justifying it.

I did put myself in the player’s shoes. Go back and read.
No you didn’t until I told you to do so.