Jaylon Smith weekly thread?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I have no issues with that. As mentioned Jaylon isnt exactly on my all pro list this year either. But with so many individual plays and gifs being posted singling out Jaylon it has created the illusion that he is the root of all our problems. I dont think that is the case as there is plenty of blame to go around for issues on this defense. Hell, i'm not sure Brian Urlacher in his prime helps this run defense unless we get better DT play.

Agreed. Jaylon is not the solely the problem with our defense. We clearly have issues across the board; we need an influx of talent on the defensive side of the ball.

With that said, linebacker play is critical to any defense given the responsibilities of the position (eg. playing the run, coverage responsibilities, situational pass rushing, etc.) As such, I view Jaylon as an absolute liability/weak link on this defense given his severe individual deficiencies.

Running and chasing from point A to B is Jaylon’s strength. Unfortunately, football isn’t played in straight lines without impediments (i.e. blockers).

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I'll have to watch the game again to really have a stance on Jaylon this week. Watching live it seemed like he really struggled in containing Hurts, and the Cowboys had to bring down a safety to be the spy. Massive running lanes up the middle repeatedly, but i'm guessing that was more on the DTs than Jaylon alone.

There was one play where he was in perfect position on a Hurts scramble around the right end, and he took such a horribly bad angle Hurts was able to get around him without even being touched. He is just really bad, and the celebrations after making a routine tackle after a 5 yard gain are disgusting.

ICP

Reaction score
I think at this point talking about his bad performance is like beating a dead horse. We all know he's mediocre at best and way overpaid.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
He was drafted at the top of 2nd round. The Cowboys were invested in him. I think Maranelli and company looked at him the same way I did in 2018 as an ascending player on the right trajectory warts and all.

I thinks it’s off base to presume that if a team trots out any specific player as a starter that they’ve evaluated him correctly. This is the same team that has had Xavier Woods as a starting safety; signed Dontari Poe as a free agent, named him a starter and then cut him during the season; and thought they could get by with Allen Hurns and D. Thompson as starting wideouts.

The Cowboys just signed Jaylon to an extension. To think McCarthy & Nolan are going to walk in and cut him or demote him is unrealistic. The team is invested in giving Jaylon a ton of rope.

Jaylon has one more year before he could realistically be moved on from.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
That is the complete wrong attitude. Any team serious about improving would move on from him without thinking twice.

bewp7

Reaction score
my jaylon smith fanfic

dallas cowboys win the nfc east and host tom brady and the bucs!

“1:28 left in the 4th quarter and it is 3rd and 38 on the tampa 19”

“brady hand it off to fournette and here come jaylon smith from behind with the tackle!”

“jaylon smith is going crazy! there is his signitire swipe, he rip his helmet off and is crying tears of joy! this is unbelivable!”

“with that 49 yard run the bucs have ice the game and this one is over. final score tampa bay 57, dallas 12.”

Kaiser

Reaction score
Here it is...

He's so technique poor. His pad level is way too high when taking on blockers. It's not uncommon for him to be pushed back 4-5 yards. Stop me if you've seen this before: Jaylon engages blocker; Jaylon gets pushed back at will; play is stopped by someone else; Jaylon finally runs around the blocker and runs up to the play.

Posting a video of Jaylon taking on an OT that outweighs him by 100 pounds is even dumber than you pointing to Pollards 40 yard run last week to claim he breaks tackles better than Zeke.

Kaiser

Reaction score
To be fair to Jaylon you had a DE completely come off his responsibility and go after the RB, taking himself out of the play completely. Jaylon got doubled by a G and T, no LB is going to win that match. I cant tell the number, but i'm guessing Dlaw is the reason that play went for big yards.

Too late, Cal Poly just submitted himself for the Nobel Prize in Tweet Linking.

Kaiser

Reaction score
kaiser believes he’s balling based on his tackle totals.

No, Kaiser believes people who say he would go unclaimed if cut are morons. And you are the drum major of that parade.

Just like you were two years when the drum you were banging was "Dak sucks, he spazzes out in the pocket". How did that work out?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
No, Kaiser believes people who say he would go unclaimed if cut are morons. And you are the drum major of that parade.

Just like you were two years when the drum you were banging was "Dak sucks, he spazzes out in the pocket". How did that work out?

Cool story bro!

Let me correct you fumbduck.

You think Jaylon is balling by pointing out his tackle totals. END OF STORY.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I have no issues with that. As mentioned Jaylon isnt exactly on my all pro list this year either. But with so many individual plays and gifs being posted singling out Jaylon it has created the illusion that he is the root of all our problems. I dont think that is the case as there is plenty of blame to go around for issues on this defense. Hell, i'm not sure Brian Urlacher in his prime helps this run defense unless we get better DT play.

Its also way more nuanced than "Jaylon sucks" or "Jaylon is great". Some players are solid average across the board and some (like Jaylon, Jourdan Lewis, Blake Jarwin, etc) do some things well but make mistakes that set up back their overall game. Jaylon will make mistakes but half the things the haters jump on are dumb things like this thread where Jaylon didn't blow up an OT that weighs 350 lbs - which no LB in the NFL can do.

Early on Lael Collins was the reverse of this, he would make a pancake block and then allow a sack, but the fans would crow over the highlight reel for the pancake block. Like Collins, Jaylon has a lot of physical skills and is very likely to even out his consistency with time and a better coaching scheme.

Hardline

Reaction score
just remember guys the "professional" in professional sports leagues exited long ago...if you get a chance google JJ watts press conference from yesterday, so spot on...
Can you link to it please?

scottsp

Reaction score
The Cowboys just signed Jaylon to an extension. To think McCarthy & Nolan are going to walk in and cut him or demote him is unrealistic. The team is invested in giving Jaylon a ton of rope.

Yep. Come the spring, whatever choice we see coming through as the next ex-defensive coordinator, they too will be encumbered by the club's choices with respect to Jaylon. Hopefully, that scheme will show packages that play him more downhill and not sitting down, reading guards and backs. The man is virtually without peer when it comes to finding/sticking to blocks and getting washed.

It's nothing personal against Jaylon Smith, but he's not what you want as an inside linebacker -- even if the talent in front of him were more credible. He's a puppy chasing car bumpers. That being the case, we know he will, no doubt, be on the field for whomever heads the defense next fall.

Cmac

Reaction score
VAzPRW.gif
I see our "Coach" get left in his tracks on this. Edit please.