Jaylon, the pass rusher

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I dont know about that. My battalion surgeon once told me I was ok to run a fire and manuver range with a 249 Saw and a minor concussion. Maybe the VA is the best we have to offer.

giphy.gif

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
All that doesn't change a thing I know first hand about recovering from knee surgery. I didn't get operated on in Mexico, it was here in Texas by a top notch military surgeon with the latest modern technology. He didn't even cut me open that much, just three small incisions for the endoscope and tools. There is no way that minor surgery I had left me less recovered than Jaylon will ever be with his major surgery, long term.
I had that done on my right knee back in the 90's a meniscal tear,they called it a injury common with sports,,, it hurt and would start clicking while walking, then it got to where it would lock up in the bended position while walking (or trying to walk when that happened,,,:lmao2:)
Tore mine up working though.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
how often did they have him rush the passer at ND? they had two different DCs while he was there and several different coaches otherwise. and one of the DCs was a total disaster.

Fair point but I will give you two things here.

1. The fact that he may or may not, have been used as a pass rusher does not confirm that he is a pass rusher.

2. What coaching staff, let alone two coaching staffs, would not use a guy who is clearly a dominating pass rusher to rush the passer? If Smith, is a pass rushing phenom, as is suggested, does it make sense that two coaching staffs would simply ignore that?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good question.

If healthy, comparing him to the pass rushers in this draft, I would have him at #2. In college he was far and away more agile and athletic than all the pass rushers in this draft not named Myles Garrett.
This a deep but not great rusher draft IMO. Other then Garrett you have guys fit better at LDE or are low floor guys. This is a good draft to pick up a very good secondary rusher, but your gambling somewhere if you want that game changing DE.

CB is similar to me as well. Very deep, but the top is OK. Lattimore is really CB1 lock. But about 12 good #2's and guys that may become #1's behind him

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
This a deep but not great rusher draft IMO. Other then Garrett you have guys fit better at LDE or are low floor guys. This is a good draft to pick up a very good secondary rusher, but your gambling somewhere if you want that game changing DE.

CB is similar to me as well. Very deep, but the top is OK. Lattimore is really CB1 lock. But about 12 good #2's and guys that may become #1's behind him

This is true. A bunch of starter types who could become occasional pro bowlers. Think Greg Ellis or Justin Tuck.

The potentially dynamic rushers (and even corners) are usually top-10 or top-15 guys and there's not any more of those this year than normal. The only guys I could see being drafted later that could develop into dynamic players are the question marks - McDowell, Tim Williams. But they could also crap out completely.

diefree666

Reaction score
This is true. A bunch of starter types who could become occasional pro bowlers. Think Greg Ellis or Justin Tuck.

The potentially dynamic rushers (and even corners) are usually top-10 or top-15 guys and there's not any more of those this year than normal. The only guys I could see being drafted later that could develop into dynamic players are the question marks - McDowell, Tim Williams. But they could also crap out completely.

I was just going over the top 10 sack leaders of all time and it was interesting; 9 of 10 either went in the first rd or were several rounds back, and one was undrafted.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I was just going over the top 10 sack leaders of all time and it was interesting; 9 of 10 either went in the first rd or were several rounds back, and one was undrafted.
A guy using actual data and research to form his opinion will always have my respect.

diefree666

Reaction score
A guy using actual data and research to form his opinion will always have my respect.

3 of them were top 5 picks. Then you had one in the second rd. After that I think the next was the 5th and then on back. One of them UDFA.

Which surprised me a little since I had always thought the great majority were first rd picks.

And going down the list of course Deware was 11. Merriman at 10. One will be in the HOF and the other was a juicer that flamed out pretty quickly.

Last edited:

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
3 of them were top 5 picks. Then you had one in the second rd. After that I think the next was the 5th and then on back. One of them UDFA.

Which surprised me a little since I had always thought the great majority were first rd picks.
You might be careful using data all the way back in history. Draft strategy has evolved over the years. I like to use data going 10-20 years back. That gives us more current info at least.

diefree666

Reaction score
You might be careful using data all the way back in history. Draft strategy has evolved over the years. I like to use data going 10-20 years back. That gives us more current info at least.

Well the top 2 Bruce Smith and Reggie White were fairly far back. Both of them were top picks. So throw them out and look at your criteria and the bag is even more mixed.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Fair point but I will give you two things here.

1. The fact that he may or may not, have been used as a pass rusher does not confirm that he is a pass rusher.

2. What coaching staff, let alone two coaching staffs, would not use a guy who is clearly a dominating pass rusher to rush the passer? If Smith, is a pass rushing phenom, as is suggested, does it make sense that two coaching staffs would simply ignore that?
:clap:Thanks for expressing what my brain was thinking !